• Customizer

Couple of questions:

Can Austria attack Italy R2, or does Italy declare war on its own turn?

You cannot use rail to move units into combat, correct?

I would also point out that there were no railways in Africa or Persia, so restrict rails to Europe. Berlin-Baghdad railway was not complete in 1914.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Railway

• To avoid the unhistorical Austrian attack the turn Sequence should be changed into

1. Italy
    2. Austria
    3. Russia
    4. Germany
    5. France
    6. Britain
    7. Turkey
    8. USA

with Italy beeing neutral and unattackable R1 so the game still starts with Austrias march into Serbia.

• Like these changes a lot. I would like to add making the entire continent of Africa impassable (except Eqypt), remove its IPC and units completely.

• To Flashman: Yes, A-H may attack Italy in Round 2. Italy sides with Allied Powers and does not need to declare war. Correct on no rail movement into combat. Historical accuracy aside, rails in Africa probably will make no difference; we will have to play that out and see.
    To Chacmool: No need to alter the sequence, really. We wanted to keep the changes to a bare minimum.
    To Oddbjoern: Play it and see if the changes make it a more difficult challenge, equalizing advantages. We haven’t played with Africa impassable, but it sounds like a possible option.

• I always missed the Schlieffenplan in this game…

I think about a special Rule for GE in Round 1.

First they must call out, that they will play the Schlieffen-Plan.

They must use all troops in Alsace and Ruhr for the initial invasion of Belgium.
    If this attack is succesfull, they´ll get the chance to invade northern France in the same turn.
    Troops of Munich/Kiel and Hannover were allowed to move into Belgium.

Something like that.

• TripleA

I actually prefer the central powers and find them to be strong. Allies always have logistical issues.

• TripleA

As long as the central powers slam Russia hard and fast get him out of the way, the game becomes super easy to play for the central powers.

What happens after the Russian Revolution? 1 front war. You do not play with that optional rule? Axis get MOOCHA MOOLA!.

So after Russia it is just Germany and France doing their thing. Hungary and Italy doing their thing. Then that other axis power gets annoying in Africa.

That is the game.

• TripleA

I am not a huge fan of Turkey’s situation, which is why it is so necessary to deal with Russia first as Germany and Hungary. Otherwise add Russia to Turkey’s problems and Turkey is done for.

• TripleA

The countries that are braindead easy to play are France and Italy.

Everyone else has stuff going on. Except for USA, which is barely in this game.

• TripleA

Germany has two options. Britian or Russia. Otherwise Turkey is screwed.

• TripleA

An Italy First strategy is pretty good. You do run into problems with Turkey down the road and the Russians will be on your back.

• TripleA

America needs to start with more units. They are a non factor resulting in the allies losing every game.

The weakest country is Turkey and the allies really need to bring the full might of the British to take it down. If USA is unable to get in the game and help out right away, How exactly are the allies supposed to answer back to losing Russia, because from there on it is all downhill for the allies.

Russia does not last a long time. It is pretty easy to take.

• TripleA

So I played with Hungary Restricted Round 1 house rule. Can only attack Serbia to kick off the war, no other combat actions.

I found the game to be a bit more balanced. The Central Powers, played by me, still won, but it was less of a one sided game.

• Would be good to hear what your opening moves are Cow, as I dont agree at all that the axis have an advantage and I would really like to hear a good way to stop an all-in India strat with Britain (7 inf and 2 art per round every round except r3 where u buy 5 inf, 2 art and 1 plan).

• TripleA

The all in India strat is the only thing the Allies have going for them.

• TripleA

Turkey tends to hold out much longer than Russia. That should be your answer right there.

I am not sure what you do with the units leftover from taking over Russia… I send them towards India, you can attack one of the stacks of units marching over at the very least.

• You dont have to race fo destroying the turks with the India strat you can funnel them into Russia via Sevastopol, making sure that the revolution does not happen.

• TripleA

The Turks usually make a stronghold at Mesopotamia, you can totally intercept the India forces as they move up.

• TripleA

So on round 3 you get 4-6 infantry 2 arty on Tartarstan. That is not exactly impressive.

The ottos also start with lots of men. So you cannot send everything to Russia anyway for very long before those units move into position.

The Mesopotamia stronghold can always move up you know. So when you go to Tartarstan you get hit by the Ottos. That is kind of silly.

• Stronghold in Mesopotamia? After r1 the brits will have (appr.) 5 inf and 2 art in TJ, 2 inf and 1art in Arabia (activate with 1 inf from Arfica with transport) and 4 inf and 2 art in Persia and 7 inf and 2 art in India.
    Standard T1: attack Arabia with Meso+Syria (killing 1,5(2) troops and losing 1,5(2) moving Ankara to Meso and Const to Smyrna and 1inf from  Const to Bulg.
    B2: Retreat TJ to Eqypt. Reinforce Arabia with 2 inf from India(transport). Move 5 inf and 2 art to persia (9 inf and 4 art total. Buy: 5 inf, 2 art and 1 plan
    T2: Turks have to move the Meso-units (6 inf and 1 art) or risk the attack from Persia B3, which is stupid (they lose 4,66 units and only kills 3,5).

Therefore The brits are free in B3 to reinforce Sevastianpol with 9 inf, 4 art and 1 plan (give or take) r3.

Feel free to point out any obvious mistakes on my account.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m