• @siparo:

But Russia and Japan are already at war. So, shouldn’t this alter things a bit?

Nope, the Mongolian rules never had anything to do with who declared war, just who attacked a TT next to Mongolia (or Korea for Russia) under Russian/Japanese control. That’s why in the '40 game the only reason for Russia not to DOW Japan R1 and if they don’t, Japan not to DOW Russia J1, is psychological effects.

• '18 '17 '16

So to clarify:

May Russians enter china in both G40 (prior & after DOW) and G42 without voiding Mongolian Rule?

After DOW may Russia attack Japanese controlled territories in China so long as they DO NOT border Mongolia and still keep the Mongol activation from being VOID?

May Russian troops act defensively in Chinese territories bordering Mongolia without voiding the rule?

Thanks!

• @siparo:

So to clarify:

May Russians enter china in both G40 (prior & after DOW) and G42 without voiding Mongolian Rule?
    Russia must be at war with Japan to move troops into China. So in G40, they must first declare war (or be declared on), in G42 they begin at war and may move into China whenever. In both, troop presence in China is irrelevant to Mongolia.

After DOW may Russia attack Japanese controlled territories in China so long as they DO NOT border Mongolia and still keep the Mongol activation from being VOID?
    Yes. Mongolia is only voided if they attack Japanese held territories next to Mongolia (or Korea).

May Russian troops act defensively in Chinese territories bordering Mongolia without voiding the rule?
    Yes. Only the above offensive actions void Mongolia.

• Not that it matters much, but in G1942 Japan and Russia start at war, but it is my understanding that they aren’t at war with each other. Neither of them start the game controlling the others territories. They can declare war on each other at any time w/o penalty just like in G1940. So I believe that in order for the Russians to enter China, or the Western allies to be on Russian soil on the Pac map the Russians would technically need to DOW Japan (or Japan DOW them).

• '18 '17 '16

The Global 1942 set up specifically states ‘All powers begin the game at War’. See the fourth paragraph in bold print in the attached image of the G42 Setup.

image.jpg

• @siparo:

The Global 1942 set up specifically states ‘All powers begin the game at War’. See the fourth paragraph in bold print in the attached image of the G42 Setup.

Exactly, all powers start at war. The Russians start at war with Germany. The US/UK starts at war with Japan. So yeah they start the game at war, but not necisarily with eachother. The historical NAP pact is still in tact just like G1940(Russia and Japan truce), but it can be broken by either side at any time w/o involving Mongolia.

So because of the turn order I think you could have this senario in the first round:

Say the Russians on their turn don’t DOW Japan. Japan does’t DOW on Russia, but builds 3 transports in sz6, and leaves only 1 destroyer, and 2 ftrs to scamble (thinking they are pretty safe). On the US turn they want to hit sz 6 with two frts from Hawaii (land on carrier), and the bomber from Western US (land on Russia). Because the Russians aren’t at war on the PAC map, the US bomber can’t land on Russia soil, so can’t partisipate in the battle. This is my understanding of the situation, but I guess we could wait for a ruling from Krieghund.

• '18 '17 '16

It does not say that. You are inferring more than what is there. The G 42 set up was designed to facilitate tournament play. It was not designed for historical accuracy.

• @siparo:

It does not say that. You are inferring more than what is there. The G 42 set up was designed to facilitate tournament play. It was not designed for historical accuracy.

No, you are interpreting the rules from the pamplet in one way, and I’m seeing them in another. It is definatly open to interpretaition, and needs clarification. The rule clearly say they start at war (which they do), but nowhere in the rules does it specifically point out that Japan and Russia are at war with each other. All other rules from G1940 are to be followed, and the historical Nap is part of that IMO.

• '18 '17 '16

Krieghund, can we get a ruling on this?

Thanks!

• '17 '16

I would have to lean towards WILD BILL’s way of thought. G42 is a scenario of G40 a continuation you may think but at a differant starting point. If Japan/Soviet Union are at war, which one started it?

• @Rulebook:

There will be NO major neutral powers.

The Soviet Union…may attack anyone from the onset of the game.

Russia is a major power, and if it is not neutral, then it must be at war with all its potential major power enemies (including Japan), and allied with all its potential major power allies (including China and the US). Likewise, it also clearly says Russia may attack anyone from the beginning of the game, indicating no need for a DOW.

Besides, it never mattered even in G40 who started war between Russia and Japan.

• '17 '16

If G42 is being played as all other earlier AA editions (i.e. no non-aggression pact) then the Mongolian rules should be void.

• Official Q&A

ColonelCarter is correct.

• '18 '17 '16

Gentlemen, thank you for the clarification!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m