• Prime Minister Paul Martin and David Wilkins, the U.S. ambassador to Canada, were dockside in Halifax Tuesday as four ships loaded with emergency supplies prepared to head for the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Three navy ships and a Canadian Coast Guard vessel are expected to reach Louisiana in about five days. They are being joined by several Sea King helicopters.

One thousand Canadian Forces and coast guard personnel are aboard. They’re are bringing provisions including clean water, massive tents, cots, body bags, assault boats, lumber, pollution cleanup equipment, bug spray, and even diapers and baby wipes.
    Navy officials were not sure how long the mission will last. Planes will continue to replenish supplies once the ships are in waters off Louisiana.

Canadian navy divers have also been dispatched from Halifax and Esquimalt, B.C. They will help their U.S. counterparts clear navigational hazards such as loose barges and inspect New Orleans’ damaged levees.

Although the current emphasis is on basic supplies, Canada could consider sending more sophisticated equipment, such as mobile hospitals.
    The aid is coming from stockpiles set aside as part of the Canadian military’s own disaster preparedness plans.

–---------

also

By Sept 3rd: The Canadian Red Cross estimates that so far Canadians have donated over $1 million to date to help survivors of Hurricane Katrina.

As well, the agency said 37 Canadian Red Cross workers left for Houston on Saturday to help victims of Hurricane Katrina in the first of a series of missions being organized for the months ahead. The volunteers – from Sydney, Nova Scotia to Edmonton, Alberta – will support the American Red Cross in managing 270 shelters and delivering some 500,000 hot meals each day.

“We are sending our most experienced and highly trained volunteers to support the largest relief operation in the American Red Cross’ history,” said Don Shropshire, National Director, Disaster Services, Canadian Red Cross. “In the coming weeks we will send at least 100 volunteers to the region, then more as required. It is the most effective way that we can help our counterparts in the US,” Shropshire said. The Canadian Red Cross does not recruit new volunteers for this type of mission, but relies on its existing pool of people who have experience responding to disasters in Canada.

also:
    Canadian universities are opening their doors to American students affected by Hurricane Katrina.

The schools said they will admit undergraduates who were enrolled at Louisiana and Mississippi universities that have been closed indefinitely by flood damage. Up to 100,000 students have been displaced according to the Association of American Universities.

“If we can accommodate these students until [New Orlean’s] Tulane is up and running, then we’re happy to do so,” said Jennifer Robinson of McGill University.
    The students’ immigration papers are being fast-tracked. McGill’s Robinson said the only inconvenience will be that the new students have to find their own places to live.

“We have about 25 hundred spots in residence but they’re all full. But there is off campus housing that we can refer these students to.”

Helen Adams had been enrolled at the University of Southern Mississippi’s Hattiesburg campus. The 20-year-old British exchange student is now heading to the University of Windsor in Ontario.

“Here in Hattiesburg, I’m afraid to leave the residence – they say a man shot his sister here today for a bag of ice – and when I tried going to Walgreen’s store yesterday, there was a five-hour queue at the pharmacy with everybody pushing and shoving,” said the second-year student.

“The devastation here looks like a bomb went off. When I heard I could go to Canada, I said, 'I’m so going.”’

this is in addition to the money, volunteers and aid sent by the Canadian gov’t and other NGOs.

Just so you know that Canadians are behind you and want to help.

• On behalf of America (boy, they picked a lousy representative :P), thanks :).

• a little more . . .
    A convoy of 20 trucks left Montreal for Texas Tuesday, carrying 20,000 cots and blankets destined for the American Red Cross hurricane relief effort.

The Red Cross expects them to be dispatched to some of its 485 emergency shelters set up to accept more than 140,000 hurricane evacuees.
    The cots are the property of Quebec’s public security department. It bought 55,000 of them after the 1998 ice storm.

Sauvé said the province agreed to loan them for as long as they’re needed. And Ottawa stepped in to pay the shipping costs.

So far the Canadian Red Cross has collected $1.5 million to help in the relief effort. Sauvé said financial donations are still welcome.

also

Two Canadian Search and Rescue helicopters will stay in the Boston area until at least Friday.

The two Canadian choppers were sent to help the U.S. Coast Guard off Cape Cod because American officials sent most of their aircraft to the Gulf Coast area to assist with Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

Canadian Forces Capt. Doug MacNair said Wednesday that U.S. officials will re-assess their needs before deciding whether the Canadian helicopters will be sent back to their bases at Happy Valley-Goose Bay, N.L., and Bagotville, Que.

MacNair said the Canadian air crews have taken part in two search and rescue missions since they were sent to the states.

and

Canada’s four major TV broadcasters have announced they will all carry a ‘live’ one-hour concert to help raise funds for Hurricane Katrina victims.
    The program: “Shelter From the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast” will be a special commercial-free simulcast on CBC TV, CTV, Global Television, and CHUM’s A-Channel and Citytv stations on Friday Sept. 9 at 8 p.m. ET.

Funds raised will support Red Cross relief efforts in the U.S. Gulf Coast region.
    Canadian viewers will be able to make donations during and after the telethon through the Canadian Red Cross via a toll-free number (to be announced during the telethon) or by visiting www.redcross.ca.

• By Sept 3rd: The Canadian Red Cross estimates that so far Canadians have donated over $1 million to date to help survivors of Hurricane Katrina.

Let’s put that million through the good Canadien exchange rate…. translates to about 3 cases of water.

• Funny, but uncalled for, Boot; Canada’s people are helping, and mocking their efforts is not only rude, but the height of stupidity.

• @Wargaming_nut:

Funny, but uncalled for, Boot; Canada’s people are helping, and mocking their efforts is not only rude, but the height of stupidity.

what i find funny is that we are doing all of this in spite of the current dispute over softwood lumber (where Canadians feel we are getting the prison-yard shaft by the US).

and more:
    A Louisiana state senator has praised a Canadian search and rescue team. Senator Walter Boasso said a Vancouver-based team reached St. Bernard parish five days before the U.S. army got there.

“Fabulous, fabulous guys,” Boasso said. “They started rolling with us and got in boats to save people … We’ve got Canadian flags flying everywhere.”
    The suburb of 68,000 people was initially ignored by U.S. authorities who were scrambling to get aid to New Orleans. Boasso said floodwater in his parish is still 2.4 metres deep in some places.

He said residents of the outlying parishes had to mount their own rescue and relief efforts when Hurricane Katrina struck last week.

The U.S. government response to the disaster has been widely criticized. Some politicians and editorial writers have called for the resignation of top Bush administration officials.

Boasso saved his praise for the Canadians and their quick work. “They were so glad to be here,” he said. “They’re still here. They are actually going door-to-door looking in the attics” for people to rescue.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Any help from Canada - or any other nation - is more then appreciated. They don’t OWE us any money to help with the hurricane, so anything they give is pure generosity and philanthropy. And yes, that means if the Sovereign Nation of Canada donated but $1 to the relief then those being relieved should be thankful. This is the exact point I was trying to make when America sent billions to help after the Tsunami and they, the locals, were thumbing their nose at us for it.

• @Jennifer:

…This is the exact point I was trying to make when America sent billions to help after the Tsunami and they, the locals, were thumbing their nose at us for it.

This is not the point. The point is:
    -that you send your troops and insist that they carry guns AND you don’t allow foreign helpers to enter the flooded areas.
    -that your president overrules foreign laws (like in Australia) yet Australians embassy workers are denied any help or information about the 20-odd Ozzies missing.

That is the point.

• I meant no offense to my fellow Canadians, just a little of topic humor. It’s great to get any help we can, and a shame to see the people taking advantage of the suffering without doing something to ease it. :oops:

• @MagicBoot:

I meant no offense to my fellow Canadians, just a little of topic humor. It’s great to get any help we can, and a shame to see the people taking advantage of the suffering without doing something to ease it. :oops:

I wasn’t offended, btw. It is a pretty old joke up here actually.

@F_alk:

@Jennifer:

…This is the exact point I was trying to make when America sent billions to help after the Tsunami and they, the locals, were thumbing their nose at us for it.

This is not the point. The point is:
    -that you send your troops and insist that they carry guns AND you don’t allow foreign helpers to enter the flooded areas.
    -that your president overrules foreign laws (like in Australia) yet Australians embassy workers are denied any help or information about the 20-odd Ozzies missing.

That is the point.

You mean we used government assets and when those assets were being shot at we insisted they carry means of protecting themselves…sorry, didn’t know protecting yourself was wrong. Maybe we shoudl send the German military out without guns into a hostile area where violent criminals can shoot at them all day and not let them protect themselves.

Sheesh. You never learn do you? Why don’t you just elect another hitler and get it over with.

• Sheesh. You never learn do you? Why don’t you just elect another hitler and get it over with.

The stuff that comes out of your mouth never ceases to amaze me…

• Frankly, the same goes for you and Falk, Haxor, so why don’t all three of you (Falk, Haxor, and Jen) shove it, or take it somewhere else? That ain’t what this thread is about. Jesus, this is the Mod’s job, why am I doing it?

• The Internet - it’s serious business I guess now :roll: Since I need to “shove it” now from a mod in training, can you inform me how and what to shove?

At the risk of sounding like a petulent little child, Hax started it. If he’d learn anything about history, current events or reality maybe he’d be a bit more intelligent….rather he decides to attack his critiques not on the merits of their arguements but with name calling and slander much in the same way Hitler attacked the Jews.

• @haxorboy:

Sheesh. You never learn do you? Why don’t you just elect another hitler and get it over with.

The stuff that comes out of your mouth never ceases to amaze me…

Actually - i agree with you hb.
    Jen - this is patently stupid. And rude. Perhaps worse. Smarten up.

• @Jennifer:

At the risk of sounding like a petulent little child, Hax started it.

no, no he didn’t.
    you did when you derailled the thread with more complaints about how American guns were unappreciated in Tsunami-ridden parts of the world.

If he’d learn anything about history, current events or reality maybe he’d be a bit more intelligent….rather he decides to attack his critiques not on the merits of their arguements but with name calling and slander much in the same way Hitler attacked the Jews.

Hax simply commented on a line that amazes most sentient beings like:

Why don’t you just elect another hitler and get it over with

to one of our German posters. The implications of that are significant.
    Also no one on this thread had indulged in the kind of name-calling and slander that you describe quite the way you had with your comments.

Now this is not the thread for this kind of ridiculous comments. If you are going to be silly and petty - PM each other.

• @Jennifer:

At the risk of sounding like a petulent little child, Hax started it. .

ROFL!!!

Finally! Something that doesn’t involve Stuka! SCORE!!!

• rather he decides to attack his critiques not on the merits of their arguements but with name calling and slander much in the same way Hitler attacked the Jews.

If this isn’t a classic example of trolling/flaming, I don’t know what is :lol: Ri-f…ing-diculous.

• :D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m