• Customizer

@CWO:

@toblerone77:

I actually really enjoy the grey British units.

Yes, one nice thing about having both editions of P40 is that the grey British-patterned ANZAC units can serve nicely to represent Canada (including Newfoundland on a notional basis) while the grey ANZAC-patterned ANZAC units represent Australia, New Zealand and (notionally) South Africa.  I don’t like loose ends, so last weekend I hit upon the happy thought of using (basically just for accounting purposes) the ivory-coloured British infantry units from D-Day to represent Eire, the single Commonwealth Domnion out of six to stay neutral in WWII.Â

Good idea! I’m toying with using the darker Brits from AAP01 and AAE99 as FEC the problem is they lack certain units such as cruisers, tacs, and mechs.

• Customizer

• Again I love the idea but the way they set it up looks like a 8 year old picked the colors and the map needs a incredible update.

I’d like this more like 1940 and also a super premium set up for the  1940 game.

• Customizer

@Whitshadw:

Again I love the idea but the way they set it up looks like a 8 year old picked the colors and the map needs a incredible update.

I’d like this more like 1940 and also a super premium set up for the  1940 game.

I agree with most of your comments. I’m just trying to show that others have similar ideas. I own a couple copies of the game and I agree there is much to be desired. There is potential for a game set in a modern setting. Larry Harris and the Axis & Allies franchise have the credibility and resources that could produce an excellent game set in the Cold War era.

• Customizer

Back on topic, no new 3rd Edition doesn’t surprise me at all. I would buy AAG40.2 ASAP because once it’s unavailable it will be expensive to get a hand on.

• @Whitshadw:

Again I love the idea but the way they set it up looks like a 8 year old picked the colors and the map needs a incredible update.

I have a copy of Superpowers, and frankly the only thing about it that I really like are the little white missile sculpts, which I use as A&A atomic bombs.  (I put them horizontally in small plastic stands that I pulled from a different game.)  There are just eight of them, and considering that they came as part of a whole game with lots of other sculpts (none of which I use), this reflects nicely the rarity and high cost of WWII atomic weapons.

Back around the 1980s or so, there was a WWIII-themed global game called Supremacy.  It had some cool features, but it eventually faded from the scene, apparently because of two flaws: a simplistic economic model that could easily be manipulated, and a tendency to “go nuclear” that would end the game (the same kind of problem mentioned by rjpeters).

• '17 '16 '15

yes I remember supremacy. Thought the mushroom clouds were cool. Never really found anyone to play it with though.

triplea has a game called cold war 1965. I’ve never played it, but have seen others that have. They seemed to enjoy it.

• Customizer

@CWO:

@Whitshadw:

I have a copy of Superpowers, and frankly the only thing about it that I really like are the little white missile sculpts, which I use as A&A atomic bombs.  (I put them horizontally in small plastic stands that I pulled from a different game.)  There are just eight of them, and considering that they came as part of a whole game with lots of other sculpts (none of which I use), this reflects nicely the rarity and high cost of WWII atomic weapons.

Back around the 1980s or so, there was a WWIII-themed global game called Supremacy.  It had some cool features, but it eventually faded from the scene, apparently because of two flaws: a simplistic economic model that could easily be manipulated, and a tendency to “go nuclear” that would end the game (the same kind of problem mentioned by rjpeters).

Funny. I too pretty much bought the game for parts originally and I thought of using the map for my own game idea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m