• Who do you think was the best comanding German General through WW II.?
    (does not matter if he got promoted later on)

And who do you think would be fit best as his counterpart?
    (specific rank not required)

• Von Manstein with Heinz Guderian

• Walter Model and Heinrich Von Vietinghoff.

• Manstein

• Von Manstein and Rommel

• @Imperious:

Von Manstein with Heinz Guderian

This.

Von Manstein was the best general of WWII. A very disciplined thinker and an excellent strategist. Adding Heinz Guderian as his assistant gives you a guy with a supreme understanding of tank warfare and a daring risk taker.

• @KurtGodel7:

@Imperious:

This.

Von Manstein was the best general of WWII. A very disciplined thinker and an excellent strategist. Adding Heinz Guderian as his assistant gives you a guy with a supreme understanding of tank warfare and a daring risk taker.

You lost me at best general of WW2. I would have to say that honor goes to Zhukov. And to me it comes down to a simple question. What was the name of the battle Zhukov lost or his failed mission? Manstein as great as he was didn’t reach Stalingrad. There’s a reason why the Russian used to say where ever Zhukov goes victory follows.

• Zhukov was not a German. Soviet generals always won battles with quantity. If both sides switched equipment and numbers, Germany would have won.

• @Imperious:

Zhukov was not a German. Soviet generals always won battles with quantity. If both sides switched equipment and numbers, Germany would have won.

Excellent point. In the key year of 1942, the Soviet Union produced three to four times as much as Germany in nearly every major category of land weapons; and almost twice as many military aircraft as Germany. Germany’s pre-war population was 69 million, compared to 169 million for the Soviet Union. A much larger portion of German strength was tied down in the west, to deal with potential British or American threats, than the Soviets had tied down in the east to counter the threat of Japan.

In 1940, von Manstein, working together with Guderian, developed the plan which would allow Germany to take France. In 1941 von Mannstein was given only minor commands by his jealous superiors; who resented the fact that his bold, successful plan to take France had been chosen over their own uncreative plans–plans which offered no real hope of victory on Germany’s western front. Von Manstein did well in the commands he was given. In the summer of 1942, he was the mastermind behind a German attack which captured 170,000 Soviet soldiers for a loss of fewer than 10,000 Germans.

After the Battle of Stalingrad, von Manstein launched a series of counter attacks in which he achieved a favorable exchange ratio; and in which he prevented the entire German southern front from collapsing. He successfully took advantage of Soviet clumsiness in exploiting the advantages their Stalingrad victory had given them.

In July and August 1943, forces under von Mannstein’s command inflicted 1.6 million casualties on the Soviets; with only one tenth as many Germans becoming casualties. (Earlier in ‘43 von Manstein advised against attacking the Soviets’ prepared positions at Kursk.) In early 1944 he was dismissed from command due to disagreements with Hitler. Von Manstein insisted that encircled German forces should attempt to break out to the west. Hitler demanded that no one retreat.

Overall, von Manstein was right about just about everything; and very skillful in putting his plans into action. A great general to have on your side; and a very intimidating opponent for those unlucky enough to face him.

• @KurtGodel7:

@Imperious:

This.

He said best general of WW2. I make no argument that Manstein was the best GERMAN general. My argument is he is not the best of all the war.

• @Yavid:

Von Manstein and Rommel

If you look I even called him the best german general

• @aequitas:

Do you mean his counterpart in another country beside Germany?

• @CWO:

@aequitas:

Do you mean his counterpart in another country beside Germany?Â

Honestly?! Yes ,I realized after IL’s comment that counterpart also includes the meaning of a sidekick.
    I do apologize but I’m willing to keep it the way it is running right now and open another Topic later.

• I was not sure if I had to put two Germans or not.
    My counterpart to Model(love his choice of suicide in the Ruhr Pocket over surrender) was Von Vietinghoff. He started as a Divisional Panzer commander through the to glory years of German offensive action, then, like Model became a master of defence and improvisation(in Italy). He ended up commanding an AG(like Model).

• Gonna mix things up and go with Fleet Admiral Nimitz. Handled the post-Pearl situation with calmness and determination, and above all else, took every opportunity to strike back against a numerical superior force. For his counterpart: Jisaburō Ozawa. Japans best tactical admiral in my opinion.

• I think the Von Manstein Gudarian combo is almost impossible to defeat.

Germany- the previously mentioned
    Soviet Union- Zhukov and Rokossovsky
    Britain- Wavell and Montgomery
    Japan- Yamashita and Kuribayashi
    USA- Bradly and Patton

• @poloplayer15:

I think the Von Manstein Gudarian combo is almost impossible to defeat.

Germany- the previously mentioned
    Soviet Union- Zhukov and Rokossovsky
    Britain- Wavell and Montgomery
    Japan- Yamashita and Kuribayashi
    USA- Bradly and Patton

Good list.

It’s hard thinking of a good American general to pair with Patton. Ideally, you’d want Patton + the other general to come up with something better than Patton would have on his own. Or, if you’re adding someone else to the mix, that someone else should either be Patton’s subordinate, or else should be every bit as bold and innovative as Patton. Most of the time when Patton was overruled by a cautious, uncreative superior, Patton was right and the superior was wrong. Patton is the only British or American general who I’d put in the same category as Germany’s best generals.

• The only reason I paired Patton and Bradley together is because they served together. They were a very successful duo.

• I also think you could pair Von Manstein with Rommel. Or Gudarian with Rommel. I think these three would probably be nearly unstoppable

• Customizer

I’m going with most everyone else and saying Manstein and Guderian.  Hands down.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m