Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

• Hey all,
    I always loved Axis & allies because of it’s strategically advanced gameplay. I always used to play Risk and still do with most of my friends because they can’t be arsed to learn a new game :(. Now it’s not that Risk isn’t a fun game but it doesn’t require as much thinking as A&A does. In rts games i always compare it like this. Red Alert is like a fun decent RTS, but like A&A it doesn’t have the depth that Supreme Commander Forged Alliance has, or any RTS i know for that matter.

GPG has gone bankrupt though and the steam community for the game is also quite inactive. But in the end that was all for the better if you like playing this RTS, because it made Forged Alliance Forever - the community driven lobby for this game - possible. I think that most people in this A&A community like strategically advanced gameplay and most of you might like it in the form of RTS games. If so i’d like you to look at the Forged Alliance Forever community. It’s totally free to use, open source etc. and is community supported for the coming years. It also keeps developing the game by balance testing, adding new mods and more.

I hope you guys will check it out, and let me know what you think about it :) I just thought players who liked this game would definately like that one too

If you guys are interested:  
    Here is the faf community site, with the installer:
    (i’d like to give the link but search for faforever on google :)

and there also are a few good casters on youtube. They provide tutorials or/and commentary on games.
    If i could pick a game to show you guys it would definately be this one casted by Gyle.
    It’s a 5 vs 5 of high skilled players and they use every trick in the book to defeat eachother:
    Copy and paste ‘Guy Fawkes Special - FAF Cast - 164 - Custom 5v5’ in your Google search bar to find it :)

If you have any questions or just like to talk about it, i like to talk about it too so ill check this post regularly ;)

• Or just play/support the next game in the series started by Total Annihilation (followed by supcom)….Planetary Annihilation

http://www.uberent.com/pa/

My biggest problem with supcom is 3v3 and up always becomes a turtle fest in almost all games, anyhow PA is more similar to TA but even more epic!
    Check it out sometime

Same devs as TA, supcom, C&C gens zero hour and now PA…(pretty epic resume there…)
    It is in open beta right now, so keep that in mind.

• Hey,

Yeah i’ve seen PA in action. ZaphodX has quite a few cast on it on YouTube. I’m not that impressed though, it is a bit too slow paced for me. But then again it’s still a beta and indeed the background of these devs is promissing. I loved Total Annihilation, it was a game ahead of its time(1998), but they also made supreme commander 2 and that was not that good at all.

As for the turtling. I’ve nearly never seen a turtling approach win a game(except for matches on maps with huge chokepoints) and it doesn’t happen that often in my experience. Only in the lower ranked games it happens a lot. Actually if u pressure your opponent with mobile forces, tacticle missiles, air raiding or any of the other possibilities, you force your opponent to either give up map control and therefor valuable income or make him invest all his income in defence on a big part of the map, while the mobile forces only have to be build once and therefor you can spend your income into your economy, upgrading technology or other attacks. In 1v1 matches turtling is nearly impossible because you have to upgrade your economy quite early since you don’t go for map control and these economy upgrades go breakeven at around 4 minutes. If your opponent spend those 4 minutes on attacking forces you’ll have a hard time not getting your base destroyed :)

• Idk if you’ve played PA or not, but its the most frantic/fast paced and overwhelming of the series in my opinion. Though it does get off to slow start currently (that is going to change very soon according to the devs)

Il never get the incessant hate on supcom 2. It was a different game, meant to be played differently. Mainly faster paced, simpler and quicker games.
    I applaud them for not further milking a cash cow, and venturing into some different mechanics and styles, but they got burned at the stake for it :P

My biggest beef with supcom was its overly high spec requirements, i couldnt play anything bigger than 1v1s on the same rig i could play 4v4 starcratII matches and 5v5 sins matches on.
    It was also a little too neat/clean looking and organized for my taste. less of the crazed over the top destruction and mass chaos that was TA.
    Supcom was also overly complex for no reason in alot of ways (can i say adjacency bonus lol) many buildings and units are simply tierI teirII and III, and almost all early game units are completely worthless halfway into the game.

PA returns the series to its roots, simpler with more chaos. Early game units useful throughout…and oh yeah it will support up to 40 players in a single match!

• Hmm i haven’t played PA. You might need to do a lot more micro than you can see from those casts.

as far as supcom2 goes… there are already so much supcom2 a like games and so few TA and SC:FA games. So it was a bit weird for GPG to turn their backs to that fanbase. I have bought it at the time, but it was quite imbalanced and simple. Although i like that for a while i am more a fan of depth. That is why all those little, seemingly overly complex features as adjacency bonus, give a strategic edge once you learn about the gamemechanics and economy. That one in particular is pretty usefull in 1v1 and when upgrading your mass extractors. whilst not doing it makes a bomber attack less harmfull. And the strenght of t3 bots vs t1 bots makes the momentum to upgrade your tech very important and forces you to make sure what your opponent is doing. But to each his own i guess :) … Might check out PA later on when it’s going out of the beta stage.

Cheers

• PA has very little micro. But it is early.
    They are releasing a big update sometime this week that is going to add units and overhaul current balance. Along with unit teleporters and UI changes/additions
    PA price will be 40USD on release. DRM free, and will include a boxed version.

Adjacency bonus in supcom added no strategic depth IMO. It added complexity for no reason.
    There were no options, you either new how they worked and used them, or didn’t and lost. Period. It was very unituitive and a detriment to the game. Regardless of how good it may sound on paper, it was very poorly implemented and the devs made a wise decision to not include them in future games.

I will admit that supcom2 release was rushed, but most if not almost all of the complaints: reasons people disliked it were adjusted:changed not long after release in patches.
    It is not fair to criticize the devs for this, the same as it is not fair to criticize LH for the flaws in 1914. I doubt any good dev wants to rush a release at the expense of quality.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m