• Is there even an upside to buying tanks? I couldn’t find one in the rule book. I’d much rather take 2 infantry or a fighter than a tank. I was wondering if maybe I missed something in the rule book. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Customizer

They soak hits.  5 tanks would soak 5 hits.  Considering how wildly battles can be when only a single round, tanks nullifying hits would certainly make a difference.

• Official Q&A

@jim010:

They soak hits.

… when attacking only.

• Yes there is a benefit, especially when you’re trying to win a battle against a relatively even force. They soak up hits, making your army last longer. They have to be used carefully, but I for one, love them.

• do they take 2 hits to destroy? is that how they soak up hits? if so i totally missed it in the rule book
    :oops:

• Ipractice yes, they’re literally land battleships when attacking, and can soak up one hit and keep on moving fine.

• Customizer

I’m still trying to figure out when and where to have tanks.  My thinking is they are good if you are not in danger of being counter attacked.  Or the US or UK when trying to maximize hitting power when transporting.  2 tanks per transport vs 2 infantry or 2 artillery?

• @poloplayer15:

do they take 2 hits to destroy? is that how they soak up hits? if so i totally missed it in the rule book

As I understand it, it works like this: You attack roll your dice you score 4 hits. The defender rolls there dice and score 5 hits but you have 2 tanks so it only counts as 3 hits. They are alittle different than battleships in the they are not 2 hits to kill. It’s more complicated than that.

• Customizer

@Yavid:

@poloplayer15:

do they take 2 hits to destroy? is that how they soak up hits? if so i totally missed it in the rule book

As I understand it, it works like this: You attack roll your dice you score 4 hits. The defender rolls there dice and score 5 hits but you have 2 tanks so it only counts as 3 hits. They are alittle different than battleships in the they are not 2 hits to kill. It’s more complicated than that.

This.

• It’s not really more complicated than that, just treat them as battleships and you are treating them right lol. Say you have a fleet, with two Dreads and three cruisers. The enemy rolls 2 hits, which you being smart, simply let the dreads absorb. Same thing with Tanks. You have 2 tanks and 3 inf, and you attack. The enemy scores 2 hits, the tanks absorb both of those and your army is intact. If in either scenario 3 hits had been made, then a cruiser or inf would bite the bullet.

As for when to use tanks. Britian should always use them for lols, and I always end up building a good stack as Austria to be able to push through Italy and still keep my army in one piece.

• Official Q&A

@DarthShizNit:

just treat them as battleships and you are treating them right lol.

… except that tanks don’t need to be repaired.  The difference is that battleships take two hits to destroy (and the first hit must be repaired before it’s available again), while tanks allow you to completely ignore one hit each while attacking in each battle.

• Thank you .This helps a lot.  :-)

• @Krieghund:

@DarthShizNit:

just treat them as battleships and you are treating them right lol.

… except that tanks don’t need to be repaired.  The difference is that battleships take two hits to destroy (and the first hit must be repaired before it’s available again), while tanks allow you to completely ignore one hit each while attacking in each battle.

I’m talking about in combat itself obviously, which is the only place tanks have value.

• If you are playing smart they act like battleships but battleships give you an option (note I’m not saying it’s smart option) that tanks don’t. With 2 battleships you can choose to apply all 2 hits to one battleship and loss the battleship where 2 tanks don’t let you do the same. So they are alittle different.

• Customizer

Tanks are useless in penny packets, devastating in large spearheads; just as the French found out in 1940.

One option is to build a phalanx of French tanks and then reinforce the breakthrough with British infantry before the enemy can counter-attack. Or use American infantry to shield a British tank army, as the UK can usually spend more on tanks than France.

Austria-Germany can do the same on the western front; Germany-Austria in the East.

But the main use of tanks is to convert an industrial advantage into victory by effecting a breakthrough into enemy tt, ending the stalemate. When the Allies start building a large tank army its usually the writing on the wall for the CPs.

Personally, I’d like to see tanks made available to buy a round earlier.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m