• It will be eight teams soon enough. Some one loss conference champ gets rolled after a one loss not conference champ Bama or LSU or whichever SEC team can’t get it done but has been touted at the best all season got passed over for that slot and the hew and cry for eight teams will be deafening.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The biggest hurdle to a playoff was politics from the big bowls, especially the Rose, who saw it as a threat to their prestige and exclusivity. Keep in mind the more you expand the playoff format the harder it gets to sell tickets to earlier rounds. It’s not as easy as grouping teams into regions for the hoops tournament in March.

Speaking of basketball, you don’t want to dilute the regular season in football like the current 68 team format has done to basketball. Unless you’re a diehard, most of the regular season, up until mid-conference play, is meaningless. I think eight is perfectly fine though.

• I thought if they rotated which bowl got the championship game and the other bowls got different spots in the playoffs. one year the rose and cotton bowls would be the semi-final round and the orange gets the championship game. In an 8 team playoff fiesta would be in the first round. the next year orange would get a first round and the rose would get the championship game and it would rotate every year.

I believe that’s correct, i think it took a lot of prodding just to start with a four team playoff. If the semifinal games are big successes, it shouldn’t be too hard to expand to eight. The big issue is the schools playing need to have loyal fanbases willing to travel to two potential games.

• @Yavid:

I thought if they rotated which bowl got the championship game and the other bowls got different spots in the playoffs. one year the rose and cotton bowls would be the semi-final round and the orange gets the championship game. In an 8 team playoff fiesta would be in the first round. the next year orange would get a first round and the rose would get the championship game and it would rotate every year.

The NCG in the 4 team playoff format will be a “for bid” system like the Final Four. A particular city and venue will have to put forth an application to host the event. It will not rotate throw the various bowls. The various bowls in the playoff format will rotate through having the semi-final games. This is explained in my earlier link.

Part of the reason they’re only going to four teams is they want to see the attendance from semi-final to finals. Most fans will not be able to attend both games. As much as a I might like I could not go to a semi-final game in Pasadena and then the Finals in Dallas.

With eight games I’m sure there is a fear that those first round games will not be well attended. Not to mention really putting the bowl system out to pasture as it were.

• Will any of you miss complaining about the BCS system? I’m a hard core playoff fan, I would like to see at least eight teams playoff. But I will miss the discussions that the BCS brought.  :-o

There will still be debate over the fourth team selected, I suppose in a typical year the four teams would represent the SEC, PAC-12, and two of B1G, ACC and Big XII champions, depending on the strengths of the conferences and specific teams. For example, if ohio state or Michigan is on the cusp, you can bet the B1G will be in full politicking mode.

• Just let Labron James match up against any team, he will win regardless of sport.

• @ABWorsham:

Will any of you miss complaining about the BCS system? I’m a hard core playoff fan, I would like to see at least eight teams playoff. But I will miss the discussions that the BCS brought.   :-o

No not one little bit

• @ABWorsham:

Will any of you miss complaining about the BCS system? I’m a hard core playoff fan, I would like to see at least eight teams playoff. But I will miss the discussions that the BCS brought.   :-o

I was against the BCS and I’m against a playoff. If you want playoffs watch the NFL. The BCS did what it was supposed to do very well create a way for number one to play number two within the bowl system. The biggest problem with it is the human voters were allowed to game the system and at least crown a somewhat less mythical national champion than what came before which was entirely a vote.

This selection committee is going to be way worse than the human polls. Hopefully the Sooners and 'Noles will have taken a bit of sheen off the SEC but I don’t see any season where a one loss SEC team that couldn’t win the conference gets in over one loss conference champions from other conferences.

We haven’t eliminated the arguments. Just created new ones.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m