• What about speed? One ship can just out-range the other and shoot

• @Imperious:

What about speed? One ship can just out-range the other and shoot

Whom do you pick in this engagement?

• Vittorio Veneto was 5 Knots faster and had an extra 15" gun. Armour was 14" inches on both ships as far as I can gather, so I would like to think the more modern Italian Battleship would just edge it. That said, in March of 41, the Vittorio Veneto fired 92 shells without recording one single hit. She was then hit by a torpedo and had to withdraw.
    Luck is very important in sea engagements from what I have understood, see Midway and the sinking of the Hood. This gives the edge back to the great sea warrior, Warspite.
    Thanks again Worsham for getting me to investigate naval questions.

• @wittmann:

Vittorio Veneto was 5 Knots faster and had an extra 15" gun. Armour was 14" inches on both ships as far as I can gather, so I would like to think the more modern Italian Battleship would just edge it. That said, in March of 41, the Vittorio Veneto fired 92 shells without recording one single hit. She was then hit by a torpedo and had to withdraw.
    Luck is very important in sea engagements from what I have understood, see Midway and the sinking of the Hood. This gives the edge back to the great sea warrior, Warspite.
    Thanks again Worsham for getting me to investigate naval questions.

My father, I have to thank, he got me interested in warships at an early age.

• My Grandad bought me the Bismarck model as a young boy, but I had had at least 10 aeroplanes and three reference books on them by then, so it was too late to switch my loyalties and interest.

• I think the superior British gunnery and more experienced crew gives the warspite the advantage

• Dad and I just discussed this topic, his choice is Warspite.

• Customizer

Interesting match-up.

Technically the Italian ship should win this one with better speed, but when you throw in Italian caution in how they used the ships and the aggressiveness of the British, I would say it would be inconclusive.  Italians would withdraw at the first sign of trouble.

• Warspite, because of better trained and more skilled crew.

• @jim010:

Technically the Italian ship should win this one with better speed, but when you throw in Italian caution in how they used the ships and the aggressiveness of the British, I would say it would be inconclusive.  Italians would withdraw at the first sign of trouble.

Good point.  The Royal Navy benefited in WWII from a long tradition of having well-trained crews and of having  commanding officers who were encouraged to act boldly and confidently in combat.  One of the R.N.'s maxims was something along the lines of “No captain can do very wrong if he lays his ship alongside that of the enemy.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m