• I think “overall value” includes possibility of mobilisation. Don’t you agree? Go ahead and buy 60 IPC’s worth of infantry. Good luck to mobilise them though. This game is not a science, it’s an art. Numbers may favour infantry in a purely -out of context situation- but everyone knows that infantry are cannon fodder, nothing more…

bye duke

• I think “overall value” includes possibility of mobilisation. Don’t you agree?

yes. all factors including mobilization (yes, it’s with a ‘z’… go america!) have been included in my analysis. even factoring in mobilization, the infantry are the best unit. they are that good on attack and defense.

Go ahead and buy 60 IPC’s worth of infantry. Good luck to mobilise them though.

not that i need much luck, the infantry get to move 1 per turn no matter what. luck doesn’t play much of a part in it. A few turns is pretty much all it takes to move across asia or between moscow and berlin. that’s not that bad in the long war of attrition. thank you for the encouragement anyway.

This game is not a science, it’s an art.

newsflash, it’s both. just like most things in this world.

Numbers may favour infantry in a purely -out of context situation- but everyone knows that infantry are cannon fodder, nothing more…

infantry are so much more. if they’re just fodder than play your next game with your infantry attacking and defending at 0, but still able to be hit (ie fodder), and see how you do against your opponent who still gets infantry attacking and defending normally. huh, perhaps they’re more than just fodder after all?

bye duke

bye feldy.

• There is no place on the map you can mobilize 60 IPC’s worth of infantry in a single space. So I don’t think your example works. And admit that face to face in a combat, infantry stinks. Say you have 3 infantry and I have 3 tanks…who wins?

• 3 infantry and I have 3 tanks…who wins?

the person who caused the most net causalties in terms of IPC lost wins…

3x2 vs 3x3 and IPC investment= 6 vs.9 I think on average you may lose 2-3 tanks, while 2-3 infantry are lost. Its best to compare the same units as per the same investment… Consider: 15 IPC spent of either 5 infantry or 3 Tanks

infantry defense is 10, while the tanks are 9. But in terms of loses i think the tanks would be destroyed before the infantry on average… check a dice roller for proof.

• I wouldn’t hesitate to attack Moscow with 3 tanks if it were defended by only 3 infantry. Now, if I win, who’s the bigest looser? Russia. So it all depends on the context. Infantry are very good units indeed but you can’t win a war with them only…

And Duke, did you honestly ever win a game while buying only infantry? Seems impossible to me… Unless?!?

• I wouldn’t hesitate to attack Moscow with 3 tanks if it were defended by only 3 infantry. Now, if I win, who’s the bigest looser? Russia. So it all depends on the context. Infantry are very good units indeed but you can’t win a war with them only…

And Duke, did you honestly ever win a game while buying only infantry? Seems impossible to me… Unless?!?

Of course if it means winning the game you have to go for it. Even if it means losing. But your not comparing “like for like” : that would be 5 infantry vs. 3 tanks.

No you cant win the game with just infantry… the whole point of this exercise is to demonstrate the value of any one SINGLE unit– " MVP" unit of the game. Infantry stands best allways-

Tanks and all the rest of course have their part to play and you cant just win with only infantry and nothing else. that is incorrect either.

• To me INF has the LOWEST value. I always choose them as casualty first.

• And to sustain that you need more infantry then any other unit, so your saying that since you see the value of lots of infantry and your buying them more than any other unit you have agreed by inference that they are the most valuable unit. Excellent!

ok try this… play a game where all you buy is say tanks and nothing else for land combat, second play a game buying no new units except infantry. See how far you get That goes for all of you peeps. That will solve this once and for all-

• Infantry. Buy a butt load and have a lasting defense. Just ask any Russian player. :wink:

• the whole point of this exercise is to demonstrate the value of any one SINGLE unit– " MVP" unit of the game. Infantry stands best allways-

Well said. I think a better way (less confusing anyway) is to think of it like that. If you had to give an MVP award to any one unit type, what type would it be? I think this is better since just like in most sports, players play very different positions (just like transports and infantry play very different roles) but you still have to vote for only one MVP.

I still don’t see how anyone who knows the game can pick anything other than infantry.

• I don’t deny the value of infantry. Let it be noted that infantry may not be the most bad-a** attacker or defender, but their value in any combat is not to be underestimated. They may be cannon-fodder, but cannon-fodder that can shoot back! (I believe it was theduke who made that point.) So they don’t just serve as bullet-sponges, they actually deal out damage too. (Maybe not as much as other units, but who cares? As long as your more expensive units get spared, than they have served their main purpose.) And remember, “overall value” doesn’t mean “ability to get out of a fight, or if not, take someone with you.” It should mean “ability to contribute to the glory of their nation, bringing them to ultimate victory.” So, even if they die, even if they don’t take anyone with them, just honor them as heroes, hope for better rolls, and thank them for soaking up a hit that could have taken out a tank or something.

I was once dismayed by the fact that my topic turned into a huge debate, but now, I find it very interesting. I voted for fighters, just because I love 'em. But I will easily buy a metric a**-ton of infantry during any game I play, compared to any other unit. Whatever tactics you use, may they work for you! And if not, then maybe it’s time to change up your strategy a bit, no?

AgentOrange out. 8)

• “ability to contribute to the glory of their nation, bringing them to ultimate victory.”

If this is the definition of valut then I will have to agree that infantry wins.

And Duke, Feld is for the german version of Field marchal.

• Strange… I’ve noticed that barely any replies were for naval units. Is everyone here all about land war? :-?

• That is one of the problems with the naval aspect of this game… it is way too abstracted and totally takes a side path to the game.

• Good point Imperious. 8)

• Yes, but a well-maintained Navy will bring swift victory––

In fact, how do you intend to take island capitals without boats? And how do you intend to protect those boats from air attack without carriers and fighters? And how do you intend to prevent sub warfare without destroyers? It seems all these are necessary conditions, and I therefore don’t see how one can write-off the importance of Naval superiority in this game so easily…

• I agree about Naval futility (if it’s fair to call it that) simply because the game is won primarily by land forces. Maybe a navy doesn’t have as much pull as it could. But it just feels good, a symbol of power if you will, to have a strong navy. What are the marshalling cards used for? I’ve only seen one example where marshalling cards were used to represent land forces (justus you know what I’m talking about) and that was when a combined Russo-German force was occupying Persia, about to sweep through Southeast Asia. That was a great game, one I’ll always remember. But yes, in that game, when it came to navies, I (Japan) was supreme, at least for most of the game. (one of the reasons I love the Japs) :x

• I’m making a new thread, and I’m calling it “Favorite Naval Unit.”

AgentOrange out.

• I think tanks are the best. They have the same A/D/M as desrtoyers but cost 7 ipc’s less. I wish you could have more.

• @Imperious:

Ok so your actually saying that when your Japan USA or UK your buying more of any other unit besides infantry? your buying more Tanks than infantry? more fighters than infantry? more transports than infantry? more battleships than infantry? more subs than infantry? please tell us how its possible to win this way… I need to know state the nation your playing what the basic build structure is …etc. I have never seen anything like this before. Does this work for 2nd edition too? aa europe? aa Pacific? or just revised?

Depends on when and who leader. I’m not going to buy hardly any (if any at all) infantry of the first turn with US/UK. What’s the point? I need units that will protect my ships so I can get my land forces into the battle. If the US goes into the Pacific it is the same kind of deal. You don’t need an overwhelming amount of ground forces to take out those islands. But you will need a large Navy to get to the islands. Eventualy the game is won by ground forces, specificaly infantry. But I have been beaten in the old game when America bought nothing but bombers from turn 1 on. I had Moscow and africa, but could not place a unit.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m