• Expendables III and Flash comming soon.
    Any bids??

• Cliche movies. Avoid.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94n3eWOWXM

hmm Fuhny or fury? we will see…

• '19 '18

omg, sorry, but that trailer looks awful.

This movie seems like just another WW2 movie, where the US americans pretend to be the great war heroes that saved Europe from Nazi Germany.

So much pathos and nationalism and patriotism, I can’t even stand to watch the trailer, let alone the movie…

• Thanks for the trailer  Aequitas.
    I saw a Tiger…

• @MrRoboto:

omg, sorry, but that trailer looks awful.

This movie seems like just another WW2 movie, where the US americans pretend to be the great war heroes that saved Europe from Nazi Germany.

So much pathos and nationalism and patriotism, I can’t even stand to watch the trailer, let alone the movie…

ya MrRoboto it looks like it, may be a DVD watch worth.

The upside is, this time they used a real Tiger tank. Tiger late Version with his own tracks, not like the one they used in saving Ryan ,half Tiger half T34 late production  8-).
    The movie looks like a made up story.

Ya Wittmann, we can only hope that they gave the Tiger a very good prescence in it!

• Exactly. And it cannot be destroyed by an Amerikaner. In a Sherman!
    I thought it was Tiger 131 from Bovington.

• '19 '18

Lol, you guys are some nerds :-)

I don’t care at all, which tank it is and wouldn’t recognize it in any way. And it doesn’t really influences how good a movie is, if you ask me.

Story, camera, actors, directing, editing, costumes, depth, emotion… these are the things that matter in movies. Not “realness” of tanks

But then… we are on a forum that focuses on WW2 so I shouldn’t be surprised :-)

• you finally figured, welcome on board!  :-D

It is easy to recognize the details. The late version of a Tiger has a diffrent commanders exit, the place of the notec light is also important and of course the Verschachtelung - Setting of the wheels is giving you some clues. Also the camo, zimmerit,insignias of the Division and does the Tank still have the Africa tubes on the Exhaustion pipes etc, etc…very simple ha, ha, ha…

Isn’t the Bovington one from africa?

• Abandoned in Tunisia, yes, captured by the British . Was from the 504th Battalion.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@MrRoboto:

Lol, you guys are some nerds :-)

I don’t care at all, which tank it is and wouldn’t recognize it in any way. And it doesn’t really influences how good a movie is, if you ask me.

Use of a real tank might not influence anything in-and-of-itself, but I certainly think that going through the effort to use a real one as opposed to a fabrication speaks of a level of quality and dedication to the story that may be absent in a similar film.

And yes, it does look like something of a flag waving American hero movie, but what else do you expect from Hollywood? The masses are perceived to not care about war stories that do not involve Americans. That may very well be true, but it is unfortunate.

I saw the preview when I went to see Planet of the Apes on Saturday (which was surprisingly very good). I had known about Fury for some time and was under the impression that it would be just another war film along the lines of Red Tails or Pearl Harbor or some garbage like that… all action and no substance. However, the trailer really intrigued me. Looked much grittier and more serious than I anticipated. Not quite a Saving Private Ryan, but I was encouraged. There does seem to be some dramatization, what with a tank duel and all, but I’d watch it.

Another preview I saw over the weekend was this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1M_HwmFMM

Unbroken.  The story of Louis Zamperini; a former Olympic track athlete whose plane was shot down over the Pacific and survived the ocean and POW camps. This seems to be a very very close adaptation of his true story. I am interested in it. Sadly, Zamperini just recently died. There is a fuller account you can read on him here.
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/06/26/4-lessons-in-manliness-from-louis-zamperini/

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’m going to go see Fury when it comes out.

I just hope I don’t see a Sherman pop a tiger with ease however…

• I will scream like a girl if that happens. And I don’t care how full the cinema is!

@wittmann:

I will scream like a girl if that happens. And I don’t care how full the cinema is!

Hahaha… you know it will happen to. It is almost a foregone conclusion. Though the Sherman will probably be wrecked in the process. Sort of like a mutual annihilation.

Oh, how I wish I could be there to hear your shriek of incredulity. Please record for posterity.  :lol:

• Would love to. Also,  I won’t be able to blame my girly shriek on my wife either: she will not lower herself to come and watch.  Will be just me and my scream.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy last weekend… it was okay, but didn’t deserve all the hype. It was marketed as a comedic version of the already funny Avengers, but I thought Avengers was actually funnier. Guardians seemed to try too hard to be funny. Some parts were, but I just didn’t laugh all that much.

On another note, I am in the middle of Pacific Rim and find it oddly intriguing. Doesn’t seem like it should be.

• @LHoffman:

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy last weekend… it was okay, but didn’t deserve all the hype. It was marketed as a comedic version of the already funny Avengers, but I thought Avengers was actually funnier. Guardians seemed to try too hard to be funny. Some parts were, but I just didn’t laugh all that much.

On another note, I am in the middle of Pacific Rim and find it oddly intriguing. Doesn’t seem like it should be.

I am Groot.

@frimmel:

I am Groot.

Yeah… did Vin Diesel do one take over the phone? Advertising him as a cast member is somewhat disingenuous.

• I am in total disagreement with you. GOTG was the most fun I’ve had at the movies in quite awhile. It was funny, and scary, and touching and spoiler

I like stories where the good guys win.

I don’t know how “good” it was because I was too busy enjoying myself and having fun to care and that’s a rare thing for me at the movies these days. (I thought the new “Apes” movie was good and I enjoyed it but fun isn’t really a word I’d use to describe it.)

Diesel did not just give one reading of that line and while it might be tough to hear the difference that’s kinda on you if you didn’t. It had lots of great effects, hot alien chicks, and a minimum of shaky-cam for these days. The soundtrack was really “awesome.”

If you don’t have a stick to far up your bum you’ll probably find it a good time.  :mrgreen:

I am Groot!

@frimmel:

I am in total disagreement with you. GOTG was the most fun I’ve had at the movies in quite awhile. It was funny, and scary, and touching and spoiler

I like stories where the good guys win.

I don’t know how “good” it was because I was too busy enjoying myself and having fun to care and that’s a rare thing for me at the movies these days. (I thought the new “Apes” movie was good and I enjoyed it but fun isn’t really a word I’d use to describe it.)

Diesel did not just give one reading of that line and while it might be tough to hear the difference that’s kinda on you if you didn’t. It had lots of great effects, hot alien chicks, and a minimum of shaky-cam for these days. The soundtrack was really “awesome.”

If you don’t have a stick to far up your bum you’ll probably find it a good time.  :mrgreen:

I am Groot!

Fair enough. It was enjoyable, certainly. Still, I could not help but compare it to my experience seeing the Avengers… the format is very, very similar and intended to be so. Avengers was incredible, very easily the most enjoyable film I have ever seen in a movie theater. It was a unique turn in the bland or dead-serious superhero genre.

Guardians was a deliberate copy of that format, but strung out even further in the whimsical and comedic. Which is fine, it was still enjoyable, as I said. But I just didn’t find it as funny. It did not seem as random and natural as the Avengers, maybe a little more forced and definitely more overt with the funniness.

This is a personal opinion, though I have heard others who have seen the movie say similar things. I am not here to critique a deliberately zany comic book film, just to offer my impression.

As for Vin Diesel, well I stand by my comments. The character Groot was fine, but the voicework could have been done by literally anyone, what with all the digital modification to it. Even if it was intoned differently he still only spoke three different words in the whole movie. Not that Vin Diesel was a poor choice, just that Groot was utterly unrecognizable as Vin Diesel. I suppose they just wanted a celebrity name for the part. It’s not as though they even did any motion capture, I am pretty sure it was just all digital animation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m