• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Jermofoot:

Ok.  How do you think the military would respond to an actual monster that was proven to be resistant to everything we threw at it?  We have absolutely no history or point of reference because:

[it’s] a fantasy movie.

(to use your own words)

Well first off, I have no idea how the government and/or military would react. But I don’t think that putting large, expensive ships directly in harms way would be effective, especially when their weapons do not appear to be helping at all. I imagine they would realize this. All in all, the military response issues were pretty minor. I am able to step back and see that this is a movie, a fictional monster movie at that, and take it for what it is. That still doesn’t mean I didn’t find it annoying.

Secondly, I did not call Godzilla a fantasy movie, because it is not. I called Star Wars a fantasy movie. Godzilla is science fiction, which implies a degree of believability based in science or reason. To what degree I suppose is up to the viewer. So, no, those were not my own words.

@Jermofoot:

I think critiquing the lack of classic music, wooden acting, and being short on action (after all, that was the premise of the original movies) are all valid complaints.

But let’s be realistic here: it’s a movie about a giant monster (not real) tearing shizzy up and fighting other giant monsters (also not real).  You’re gonna have to stretch some things to fit a giant monster into cinematic expectations these days (i.e. the old movie methods would not work).

Which is why movies today, especially science fiction ones, need more scientific explanation or carefully considered plot elements. Cinema has become more sophisticated and the general populace more educated. People are less easily fooled or apt to just accept things unquestioningly. Even in the 90s Batman movies there was little explanation of Batman’s tools, vehicles, abilities, etc… And the villains were more cartoonish than real. But in the newer films were are given plausible purposes for virtually everything, even if it is briefly done. And with Legendary (Nolan/Goyer) doing the Dark Knight films and also producing Godzilla, I was expecting something closer to Nolan-Batman level. Although, same goes for Man of Steel and that was also a bit of a letdown.

Yes, some elements the audience will still have to just accept and not question, like they used to, but the less of that the better the movie will be.

@Flashman:

Being highly critical of fictional movies seems like missing the point to me…

I can intellectualize “the point” of a monster-destruction film, but that does not mean that I find it more entertaining because I know its purpose for the general public. I don’t mean to appear as some great critic or a snob or something, I just generally prefer films with a little more meaning and a little more plausibility to them. Especially when a particular genre (e.g. science fiction) inherently implies it. You may say that I am looking in the wrong place for meaning and plausibility, but I disagree. Why should a science fiction monster movie be mutually exclusive of something intellectually provocative or realistic and predominantly believable?

@Jermofoot:

You don’t like it and listed your reasons and that’s fair.  I like to see it thought out like that.  On the flipside, it seems pretty deep for a movie that doesn’t take itself as seriously as you do.

I try not to take myself that seriously… but hey… And there have been Godzilla movies that have taken themselves more seriously than others. This one certainly falls into the more serious spectrum, but for me it was not perfect. Neither was it terrible.

To be honest, I am always more critical with only a single viewing. I would like to see it again and see if my perspectives change on anything.

• @aequitas:

@Imperious:

Compare that link to the movies score. Music is as important as any other element in Godzilla movies. When Godzilla meets the two bugs they should have played that music. Its no different than the reveal they did when he first started breathing fire. They reveal all the old things that people remember about these movies to a new audience.Music is just as important. It was a missed opportunity.

It is like, like, like ;like Darth Vader and his theme song. It is a must!
    I agree with you IL, it is a missed opportunity, indeed!

(still going to watch that movie)

Completely agree, the theme music would have went a long ways to rectify Godzilla fans. After 1998, we deserve that.

Basically overviews and comments on the entire movie, so don’t read if you haven’t seen it yet…

However, this is almost exactly what I was babbling about before, except that this guy wrote in a much more intelligent and thought out fashion. I think he has it pretty much 100% right. Three pages and worth the read I think.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/breaking-down-the-monster-the-best-worst-of-godzilla-20140519

• I almost forgot. We watched X-men DOFP last night, it was good. I liked it.

• @aequitas:

I almost forgot. We watched X-men DOFP last night, it was good. I liked it.

Yep. It is a top flight X-men film. Easily top 4. Well made film with limited “shaky-cam” and other such “modern” film-making tropes. It is a sequel to “First Class” but it is also more. If you’re not a X-man films fan you might not get much out of it but if you’ve seen even the turds it is worth the time. There are some pretty neat action sequences. You probably can skip the 3D and save a few bucks.

• I have no use for the 3D effects, after a few min, my brain is trained to see the whole picture without it. It simply ignores the 3D effect. I would have to remind my self continuously “attention it is 3D, attention it is 3D, attention…”. Maybe I focuse on diffrent things when i watch movies… :?

• 3D is a scam used to make a horrible plot seem acceptable because they made up with more effects than usual…

Thats why all comic book movies use that…because the plot is based on a story you find in a 35 cent comic.

@Imperious:

3D is a scam used to make a horrible plot seem acceptable because they made up with more effects than usual…

I am not sure if that is true, but 3D or effects in general do nothing to cover up a bad plot or bad acting or bad writing… for me at least.

• They replace the story or window dress it with crap exploding and guns because if the story was unfolded alone without these embellishments, it simply would be laughable and people would throw tomatoes at the screen for wasting their time at such simplistic plot lines.

Their will be blood- no need to effects, the plot carries the movie
    Battleship- insane, ridiculous movie, needs heavy explosions so you don’t notice your going brain dead along with wasting $12, and time

@Imperious:

Battleship- insane, ridiculous movie, needs heavy explosions so you don’t notice your going brain dead along with wasting $12, and time

Haven’t actually seen it, but I get that impression from the previews, the ridiculous plot (undersea space aliens vs WWII era battleships not even in service anymore but apparently are???), over the top special effects use and bland/pop culture casting (seriously… Rhianna?).

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Godzilla was too uneven for me, a mixture of gripping character drama with Cranston but then gets kinda goofy with Wantanabe and the scientists. Not that either were poorly done, but I’d prefer if they stuck to one tone and ran with it. Also coulda used more Godzilla.

Regarding X-Men, First Class didn’t do anything for me but I appreciate the difference a new director and creative team can make. Heard lots of good things about this one though. Plus any movie that features Jennifer Lawrence can’t be bad, she’s America’s Sweetheart and Action Title Belt holder.

• I thought Godzilla war great. Just needed a tad bit more monster fights, and a remake of the original Score.

DOFP was really good, the plot was interesting.

Spider-man 2 was good also, just disappointed that rhino barely was in it.

• Jump Street 22 sucked. Boring. Standard schlock.

• '19 '18

I’m looking forward to the turtles movie.

I always loved turtles as a kid, and goddamn Megan Fox is one hot chick.

• @MrRoboto:

I’m looking forward to the turtles movie.

I always loved turtles as a kid, and goddamn Megan Fox is one hot chick.

The previews have the TMNT fighting an organization similar to COBRA. I need my turtles in classic form, fighting Shedder and evil mutants.

I feel Megan Fox has gotten less attractive since her Transformer days. I need my April O Neil in a yellow jump suit and d cup size.

My kids have got to experience the original cartoon series with me, good stuff.

• Megan Fox is a very unattractive beautiful woman.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Very well put. Will just wait for Turtles on TV. Will see Edge of Tomorrow on Monday, heard some good things about it.

• Customizer

In England they’re TMH (for Hero) Turtles: Ninjas is bad.

• Except for the shaky cam “Edge of Tomorrow” was pretty good. I just hate the shaky cam film making style that is standard op these days.

I had to skip “Turn” and I guess I’ll be skipping “Falling Skies” given how I couldn’t get through the first ten minutes of the opener because of the shaky cam.

• Edge of Tomorrow is basically Nietzsche’s concept of Eternal Recurrence with some modifications.

He says you basically repeat everything in life, while this movie offers the opportunity that you remember the past and can enable a better repeat with successive returns…

I think the movie sucked. Waste of money.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m