Bobby Fischer A&A: Randomized Set-Ups

• At the height of his chess career, Bobby Fischer suggested that the only game of chess worth playing was a variant he designed wherein the back row of pieces were rearranged randomly. This was because the game was decided largely on how well players could memorize powerful standard openings, which disincentivized original play, and lessened player enjoyment.

Similarly, experienced Axis & Allies player pine for the release of new series titles, with new pieces and new set-ups, because they crave new challenges. ‘Fischer Variant’ A&A uses existing titles to generate new set-ups which are still well-balanced, but are also surprising, fresh, and challenging.

In this variant, each territory and sea zone exerts a ‘pull’ on air, sea, and land units in terms of their initial placement on the board. The set-up is therefore probabilistic rather than strictly deterministic, which means that every game will begin in a unique but not completely chaotic state.

This ‘pull’ is calculated by (1) a territory’s IPC value or a sea zone’s border with the same, (2) the infrastructure on that territory and the type of units it corresponds to [air base = +1 air pull; naval base = +1 sea pull; industrial complex = +1 land pull], and (3) whether that territory is a capital [capital = +1 pull for all unit types].

For example: SZ 97 has a sea pull of +4 for Northern Italy, +3 for Southern Italy, +1 for the naval base there, +1 for its being the capital, and +1 for Albania, for a total of 10 sea pull. Compared with other friendly sea zones, we should expect to see many Italian ships ending up here.

All territories and sea zones for each nation are listed on charts uploaded below which rank the pull of each, and give the die roll range which will determine the initial placement of all starting units.

To get started in three easy steps:

(1) Just copy all the ‘Unit Resources’ stuff for each nation in the Word files below and paste them into one of your replies on the AxisandAllies.org forum itself, then hit ‘post’.

(2) Look at your new post: the forum will have auto-generated 1 number for each of your units.

(3) Then look up those numbers on each nation’s charts and place those units in those numbers’ matching territories / sea zones; that’s where they’ll be at the beginning of the game.

Set-up will probably take 45 minutes once you get used to the system, but it’s worth it for the fun.

This game has been tested on the forum by myself, pr0c3ss and Grendal. Our game threads serve as proof of concept for this variant and its balance. We found that due to the high number of initial edits, you need to manually post the first savegame to the forum: it will not autopost G1 (too many characters error message), but will behave normally after that.

If you have any comments, or further playtest results to share, please post them below. We found that the Axis and the Allies won exactly 50% each in our initial playtest of four games.

Enjoy!

• Christopher Yorke

• Customizer

This looks very interesting. It would be fun to try something different.
    It looks like you are designing this for the computer-play versions of A&A. How would you roll for the pieces without having a 68 sided dice. (that’s what you would need to place the US Naval units) Would you just roll several smaller dice and add up the numbers? Then disregard anything that is over the number you have set for that country and that type of unit?

• @knp7765:

This looks very interesting. It would be fun to try something different.
    It looks like you are designing this for the computer-play versions of A&A. How would you roll for the pieces without having a 68 sided dice. (that’s what you would need to place the US Naval units) Would you just roll several smaller dice and add up the numbers? Then disregard anything that is over the number you have set for that country and that type of unit?

You don’t need special dice to try this variant with the physical A&A game.

Just use these forums to auto-generate the numbers for you as you cut & paste from the attached files (the same as in the instructions above; they’re written in code that will produce numbers here when you post your message).

Then set up the pieces on the board according to the results on the charts (instead of editing them in on TripleA).

• Customizer

Okay, thanks for cluing me in. I just did a set for all nations and am fascinated with the results. Here’s a couple of the oddball examples: the French fighter normally in London is now placed in Burma. The UK tank normally in Paris is now placed in French Madagascar. Isn’t that crazy?!?
    You could do this each time and get a different result, right? That is really cool. Thank you very much for going to all the trouble of doing this.

A crazy thought just occurred to me; you could also apply this to all the neutrals using the same criteria. You wouldn’t have facilities or capitals to worry about, just IPC values. Could you imagine getting 10 guys in someplace like Uruguay and 2 guys in Turkey or Sweeden. I know that’s not likely to happen, but technically there’s a chance.

Thanks again.

• Customizer

How do I get the rest of the UK naval placement chart? It cuts off at Sea Pull 54 for SZ 88.

The UK naval placement goes all the way to 88. So I need from 55 to 88 and their corresponding sea zones.

• @knp7765:

How do I get the rest of the UK naval placement chart? It cuts off at Sea Pull 54 for SZ 88.

The UK naval placement goes all the way to 88. So I need from 55 to 88 and their corresponding sea zones.

I just downloaded it again: the file is complete and fine.

But just in case you still can’t see it on your end, here are the numbers you asked for:

SZ 123 55
    SZ 119 56-57
    SZ 92 58-59
    SZ 96 60
    SZ 99 61
    SZ 82 62-63
    SZ 70 64-65
    SZ 72 66-67
    SZ 76 68
    SZ 81 69-73*
    SZ 79 74-75
    SZ 38 76-77
    SZ 43 78-81
    SZ 20 82-84
    SZ 48 85
    SZ 50 86
    SZ 51 87
    SZ 1 88

• @knp7765:

Okay, thanks for cluing me in. I just did a set for all nations and am fascinated with the results. Here’s a couple of the oddball examples: the French fighter normally in London is now placed in Burma. The UK tank normally in Paris is now placed in French Madagascar. Isn’t that crazy?!?
    You could do this each time and get a different result, right? That is really cool. Thank you very much for going to all the trouble of doing this.

A crazy thought just occurred to me; you could also apply this to all the neutrals using the same criteria. You wouldn’t have facilities or capitals to worry about, just IPC values. Could you imagine getting 10 guys in someplace like Uruguay and 2 guys in Turkey or Sweeden. I know that’s not likely to happen, but technically there’s a chance.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Randomizing the neutrals could really spice things up, you’re right. I will definitely produce a set-up chart for them as well, and probably post it here by the end of the week.

I guess you tried this variant out a couple of times by now, right? How did your games work out for you?

• Customizer

Actually, we are still working on the first game. We only get to play for a few hours each weekend so sometimes a game of Global 40 will last 2 or 3 weeks. Luckily, I have a room where I can keep the game set up.
    Aside from a number of odd ball placements, I noticed two main differences: 1 > the Soviet Union forces started a lot more spread out across Russia which made Germany’s initial attack a little easier. 2 > the United States had almost no presence in the Pacific. The bulk of the US Navy ended up in SZ 101, plus most of their ground units and air units in East USA. As a result, they decided on a “get Germany first” strategy and almost ignored the Pacific.
    That caused Japan to get HUGE. At present, Japan rules the Pacific, including Australia, and is threatening the US West coast. Japan also took out all of China and India.
    Germany managed to take Moscow and make the Russians extinct. However, USA and Britain overwhelmed Germany and Italy and liberated Paris. There are no Italian units left and only 3 German units left on the board.
    So, on the Europe board, we have a lot of German controlled but unoccupied Russian territory with the US, British and French occupying almost all of Europe and ready to start moving into Russia. Japan rules most of the Pacific board and is threatening the US West coast. Japan also has a small force traveling through the Middle East. They made some landings in Africa, but the Brits spanked them hard. The Brits are strong in Egypt with part of the US Navy there to back them up.
    Technically, this would have been an Axis win with Japan getting 6 of 8 VCs on the Pacific board. But when Berlin and Rome fell, we decided to see how this plays out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m