• Thanks for the support, to both of you. Hopefully I can order a copy of Luftwaffe as it looks fun, and use it as a base line.

• Here is the link. The game comes with a booklet with all the numbers and stats you need. Use the OOB to bring in all the planes, some of which you need to order because HBG dont make them ( He-162, Me-163, etc).

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3646/luftwaffe

• Thanks alot IL, this will go a long way in solving alot of things. I really like the wide range of possiblities with missions and the small tactics (basing aircraft farther from air raids) that can affect the out come.
    In this case, I think Ill switch the role of Germany and America, Germany being the attacker, and America (Now the UK for Seelowe) being the defender.
    Thankfully, I know of a place to get the extra missing aircraft in the same scale as AnA and HBG. And at a good price too.

• To get inspired, watch episodes of Twelve O’clock High. That is what got me going with this idea.

• Update. Been doing play test missions own my own using luftwaffe.
    Turn Play EX

4 B17
    2 Spits
    Target Uboat Pins

Defenders
    4 Me 109s (110s were destroyed a bit earlier in a mission into London on a “randomn mission” card i made.
    Some things added
    Radar roll. Germany can roll a radar check to see if they can scramble aircraft before the Allies get in range. This failed.
    The 109s were on low fuel rations, thanks to a earlier bomber raid. This meant that they could only do 1 attack sweep,

The Spits went in first, engaging the 109s
    1 109 was downed, while the other 3 continued to the b17s.
    1 b17 was damaged, forcing it to return home, in which it was not pursued.
    The spits turned and engaged the 109s, who were on thier last round of combat. the second b17 was untouched.
    The spits chased the 109s down, damaging one, other 2 safely returning.
    The damaged 109 was out of the fight until supplies could reach its air base.

Still dont have a good map yet. using a drawn one.
    Still working on implementing the rules from Luft. Real life takes time away from the seelowe plans unfortunately.
    Just though id give a little update on the status, to show its not dead and gone.
    Still working on the land, but that might have to wait till a later time, as the air war seems a bit easier and funner.

• Here’s one suggestion you might want to consider.  Before you focus on the finer details of the game mechanics, you might want to pull back and look at the broad elements of your overall scenario, to make sure that: a) the scenario is sound and credible, and b) that no major considerations have been overlooked.  As a reference point, start by looking at the planning and preparations that went into the Overlord cross-Channel invasion in June 1944, then use that information as a template to figure out what kind of planning and preparations the Germans would have needed to carry out to pull off a successful Sealion.

Britain and the U.S. were both world-class naval powers who were used to thinking in naval terms (both strategically, operationally and tactically) and who had vast numbers of ships at their disposal – yet it took them two years to plan Overlord and to build up the required infrastructure for it.  The factors they had to consider ranged from very broad ones (the choice of the overall landing areas; the establishment of air superiority over France), to intermediate-level mechanics (planning the order in which the paratroops planes would depart from multiple airfields and the routes they would take to and from France; creating the PLUTO pipeline to convey fuel across the Channel to support the invasion forces until a port could be captured) to very small technical details (like providing US paratroops with clickers to recognize each other in the dark after landing in enemy territory).

Germany, by contrast, approached Sealion in 1940 in a spirit of hazy improvisation.  Germany wss traditionally a land power, and it made the mistake of treating Sealion as basically just a large-scale river-crossing operation.  The Wehrmacht was very skilled at river crossings…but the point is that the English Channel is not a river.  It’s much wider, and it sometimes experiences severe weather conditions unlike anything found on a Continental river.

The good thing about your scenario is that it’s set in 1942, not 1940, which means that Germany will have had about two years (since the fall of France) to plan and prepare it.  So in working out your scenario, you should start by figuring out the broad-level strategic and operational requirements Germany would have had to meet to pull off a succesful Sealion, and to determine how Germany would have spent the period from 1940 to 1942 refining these plans and creating the infrastructure for this operation.  Answering these questions will tell you what elements will need to be in place at the start of your actual game, what objectives Germany will have, and thus what counter-objectives the Anglo-Americans will need to have in order to defeat the invasion.  Essentially, the Sealion in your game should be an operation that Germany has planned and prepared for two years, rather than a semi-spontaneous operation improvised as the result of an Italian suggestion.

• I have been working out some background story.
    Since the war turned from where it was in 42, to something completely different such as
    Russia is on the brink of losing, Moscow having fallen, Kursk taking place earlier than expected, resulting in a Russian defeat. Japan has landed in parts in Russia. Stalin launched a failed attack to take moscow, resulting in even greater losses.

German and Italy, have been planning the invasion since 1940 instead of the spontaneous suggestion. Japan, has sent advisers “via uboat” to help plan the invasion.

This lead to captured french ships being put to use as cargo ships or troop carriers.
    Dedicated landing ships are built in Germany using Italian materials.
    The Luftwaffe invest in gliders that can carry light tanks. Hitler, despite his desire to do so, is persuaded to not switch from attacking the RAF to attacking civilians.

Thus, Germany should have the following objectives.
    Control X amounts of supply centers.
    The UK, would be the same.

I might have to abandon France from the game, as it just added unnecessary fluff. The UK is the main focus of attention, as is Ireland. This would allow me to make a larger map.
    With this being said, I am trying to make two games, a new version of Luftwaffe, and another of AnA variant.

• Im still working on this, just slowly as real life has taken hold.
    I shifted my priority from Seelowe, to a European air war, with a possible expansion to the air war on the east.
    One thing Im working on is air base cards.
    The reason behind this is that Im not using chips and counters, but rather HBG and picoarmor air units.
    Thus, in order to reduce the clutter, I decided to use air base cards.
    As of right now, the air bases are generic runway and hanger pictures. Though I hope to create more detailed cards of individual airbases.

The map. Having trouble making the map. I been using AnA Europe as my map.
    Just thought to give a small update on the progress.
    Once I get the airbase cards done, Ill upload them so you guys and gals can download them.

Till the next update, Ill be testing when I can.
    Thanks for reading this.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m