Increasing action in PTO: The Case against 0 ipc territories (Pacific Islands)

• @Baron:

Ok for the principle. But could you go in the details for Global?

Well now we’re starting to talk apples and oranges, because I don’t usually play global - if I do it’s as a guest at someone else’s place. Here at home I have a custom AA 50th type map and we don’t have any NOs when we play. Admittedly it would be a lot easier for me to implement this rule on my map than for global players.

But if I did have global, I would probably drop the NOs related to the islands. Then drop or raise other territory values around the map to restore income balance.

• Customizer

@Der:

@Baron:

Well now we’re starting to talk apples and oranges, because I don’t usually play global - if I do it’s as a guest at someone else’s place. Here at home I have a custom AA 50th type map and we don’t have any NOs when we play. Admittedly it would be a lot easier for me to implement this rule on my map than for global players.

But if I did have global, I would probably drop the NOs related to the islands. Then drop or raise other territory values around the map to restore income balance.� Â

Basically you just have to find some factor to make them worth attacking. I haven’t seen to many in-game mechanics that make me want to spend a whole bunch of IPCs to take a worthless island. The whole propaganda/prestige idea was to grant that incentive. I’ll admit it can be unrealistic but there’s a motivation to actually attack in the PTO. The easiest way I’d say is to just give a 2/3 IPC bump to unmarked islands.

There have been games where someone takes command of the ETO and the other takes the PTO it helps somewhat.

The other “weird” option would be to have UK/US PTO and UK/US ETO as separate players.

I dunno LOL. I have a ton of different ways you could do it. I’m working on a private project right now that uses aftermarket units as well as OOB components to make a VERY HUGE variant of A&A on the G40, AA42SE, or AA50 boards. It’s in the works and I will distribute via PDF rather than on the open forum but it needs a tremendous amount of work and play-testing.

Mind you, I’m only brainstorming gents. I don’t have a map in front of me right now.

• '17 '16

@Der:

@Baron:

But if I did have global, I would probably drop the NOs related to the islands. Then drop or raise other territory values around the map to restore income balance.

If any one want to take a look at the map, here it is:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/p/whats-new-in-axis-allies-pacific-1940-and-europe-1940-second-editions/89e29b3-jpeg/

For those who want to discuss about PTO in 1942.2 map:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/djensen47/7605064338/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    http://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-allies-1942-second-edition-preview-map-and-setup/

• I was going to say what you are talking about in Grasshoppers NO’s posts. Why not try to make other territories ( land and sea ) besides the islands  worth 1 or more ICP’s  where you don’t need NO’s. Like US and Japan fighting over certain islands, which you mentioned and Japan and Anzac, Japan and Uk, Germany and Russia, Germany and UK, Italy and UK, US and Germany and maybe a Italy and Russia. Make it were its worth it for these countries to control certain territories and not get any 5 icp bonus for controlling a certain territories. Just a thought.

• '17 '16

@SS:

I was going to say what you are talking about in Grasshoppers NO’s posts. Why not try to make other territories ( land and sea ) besides the islands  worth 1 or more ICP’s  where you don’t need NO’s. Like US and Japan fighting over certain islands, which you mentioned and Japan and Anzac, Japan and Uk, Germany and Russia, Germany and UK, Italy and UK, US and Germany and maybe a Italy and Russia. Make it were its worth it for these countries to control certain territories and not get any 5 icp bonus for controlling a certain territories. Just a thought.

Sorry, I don’t see what you mean.
    Can you help me understand?
    Where are Grasshoppers NO?
    Have an example, please?

• What I mean is like you said have some islands worth more or all so it would be worth fighting for these islands due to the increased value of territories. Midway 3 icp’s, Solomans island 3 icp’s for samples and then have it where certain land territories are worth more where there is back and forth fighting. Like some land territories between Germany and Russia increased values.

• '17 '16

Hi,
    Thanks.
    Where are Grasshoppers NO? you were talking about?

• Its under house rules on first page at bottom under Reinstating the lost NO’s. What I meant was I was going to post there until I saw your other post in ( increasing action in PTO ). Also referring to not having any NO’s by just raising Territory values. It probably will be to unbalanced to work.

• I for one hate the notion of zero IPC territories altogether. Regardless of where they are on the map.

I would be in favor of doubling the value of all territories, making 0 IPC tts worth 1

Right now most nations income is much inferior to their production capabilities, ICs are sometimes a rare purchase

Doubling the IPC values of all territories would swap this, nations would have insufficient factories to start the game, and would likely purchase additional ICs and/or upgrade the ones they star with
    You would obviously have much more units on the board, but this I believe would lead to less board space being ignored for large portions of the game
    Battles would also average out better with regards to dice rolling

Just giving a possible solution and arguments for it :)
    It may be a terrible one, but it’s more feasible for F2F games with marking all over the map

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m