• I had the opportunity to visit two ROK warships yesterday: Dae Jo-yeong (DDH-977), a multipurpose destroyer, and Hwa Cheon (AOE-59), a fast combat support ship.  They’re in the Old Port of Montreal as part of a round-the-world midshipman training cruise which includes a series of goodwill visits to various countries to mark the 60th anniversary of the end of the Korean War.

ROKN DDH-977 and AOE-59 Stern View.jpg
    ROKN DDH-977 and AOE-59 Bow View.jpg

• Only just looked at the pictures Marc. 60 years ago, wow!
    I also looked at what their navy is today, because of your post.  Thank you.

• @wittmann:

Only just looked at the pictures Marc. 60 years ago, wow! I also looked at what their navy is today, because of your post.  Thank you.

My pleasure.  As I was exiting the Metro station near the Old Port, I happened to see a group of about half a dozen sailors from the Korean ships entering the station.  As far as I could tell from their uniforms (they wore the classic “dixie cup” naval caps) they were enlisted sailors rather than officers, and they appeared quite young.  They looked understandably eager to enjoy their liberty time ashore.  There was a good crowd of locals waiting to visit the ships when I arrived, despite the drizzly weather.  One of the areas of the supply vessel which was accessible to the public was a room containing a small trade show for the Korean defense industry, with videos and posters and models and pamphlets.  One of the posters, which highlighted Korean naval history, showed a portrait of Admiral Yi Sung-sin and included an illustration of a curious-looking ship which the text didn’t discuss to any extent, but which I recognized as one of the famous “turtle ships” which Yi Sung-sin had created to defend Korea from a Japanese invasion.  They were history’s first armoured warships: cannon-armed, oar-propelled galleys whose upperworks were covered by protective iron plates (studded with sharp spikes to discourage enemy sailors from boarding).  As I recall, they helped Korea win some important naval battles against Japan, and I think that Yi Sung-sin (in the finest Nelsonian tradition) died just as Korea won the final decisive engagement.

By the way, I’ve just realized that I should have said “the 60th anniversary of the Korean War armistice” because, technically, the war never officially ended.

• Re: your comment  about the war not being  over: I forgot that too!
    Thank you for the story about the “turtle ships” and their Nelson like Admiral’s demise.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m