• '16

Hi All,

I always seem to loose my whole German med fleet (1 battleship and 1 transport) to england in the first round. Typically UK uses his bomber and fighter from egypt to take it out. Those odds (1 bomb and 1 fig vs 1 battleship) are stacked in UKs favour, since they role with 2 dices. After that I’m completely crippled, and an african invasion is stalled (usually for good).

It’s vital for Ger to take as much of africa early on, so I understood a prefer build for Ger is 1 transport + inf in round one… However, this is wasted money if there is no defense in the Mediterranean.

How do you solve this problem? The only solution to me seems to be: build a aircraft carrier as well in round 1, and land 2 fighters upon it, and don’t use the battleship to attack but keep it in SZ 14, to have all your forces concentrated there.

Thoughts on this?

• your solution is correct after 50+ games this has seldom failed me, the 1st round carrier purchase is needed if you want to stand a chance in  the med cheers

• Consider attacking Egypt with Germany rd1.  It’s what a lot of G players do.  Many a thread on G first round attack and purchase, check them out.  :mrgreen:

• '16

Thanks for bumping the tread, that helped a lot :)

Yes, it seems that attacking and taking egypt on the first round would solve the problem. I’m kinda new to the game, and the reason I haven’t attacked egypt on round 1 was that I read the “Don’s axis and allies essays” and he promptly advocated NOT to attack egypt on the first round but wait until the 2nd instead. He seemed like a knowledgeable guy, so I wonder how he would have dealt with this. Because he didn’t advocate buying a carrier either, but just one transport and rest inf.

To me the only way to keep the med fleet is by using any of the two options mentioned in this thread, otherwise it is doomed. And attacking egypt would be the cheapest one.
    If somebody has another gambit to avoid losing the fleet, it would be interesting to hear.

• Waiting to attack Egypt until round two would depend on the type of allied player you are facing. May or may not be effective … some players may not expect it, so that’s kinda cool  …  and, since anything can and will happen in a dice game its fun to change things up sometimes.

• I definitely attack Egypt in round one,then consider buying a carrier in round 2.
    Though it really does depend on circumstance,and of course in my opinion Russia should always be the focal point

• @JEB:

Yes, it seems that attacking and taking egypt on the first round would solve the problem. I’m kinda new to the game, and the reason I haven’t attacked egypt on round 1 was that I read the “Don’s axis and allies essays” and he promptly advocated NOT to attack egypt on the first round but wait until the 2nd instead. He seemed like a knowledgeable guy, so I wonder how he would have dealt with this. Because he didn’t advocate buying a carrier either, but just one transport and rest inf.

I also have read Don’s Axis and Allies essays more 10 years ago, and they are great for Classic, but you’re playing Spring 1942 and a lot has changed between both games :)

Germany losing the Med fleet on UK1 isn’t critical:

• The 2 units that would go to Africa can instead be sent to Russia
    • Sending more than 4 German units to Africa than the starting ones is usually a waste of resources. Those 4 units cost 12-16 IPC and Germany will only get 4-5 IPCs per turn from Africa in return.
    • Japan can also threaten Africa more effectively if it sends transports to French Indochina.
    • Overall the important objective is to increase the total Axis IPC income to 84+. And most of the richer territories are on Europe/Asia.

If you want to try some reading for Spring 1942 try this:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27312.0 - German Operations
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23032.0 - Soviet Strategic Defense
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19962.0 - German Fortress Europe Strategy
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25203.0 - German Case Blue Strategy

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m