Which WWII fighter would you fly?

• Vought F4U (I know this is ancient.) 470 miles an hour is my kind of airplane (non-jet).

• I’d want to give the P-61 a try.  It seems like an interesting airframe to manipulate.  And, I have a copy of the pilot’s manual.

• German tech during the war was unbelievable.  It took us to the 80s to develop the stealth tech the germans had 40 years prior.  And when we did develop it, we just stole thier idea.

Actually Zooey, The Northrop M1M flew succesfully BEFORE the December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor. After the attack, it was classified. Northrop had numerous “Flying Wing” designs and by virtue of their design, had low radar signatures, as well as long range, and high speed. Many of the German  “Stealth” designs had low radar signatures, because they were built out of wood. Aluminum was difficult to find towards the end of the war. The piston engined B-35 Bomber, and its jet powered developement, the YB-49, suffered a political death. Although there were some developmental problems, the official story of the cancellation, was due to the low bombing accuracy. The lack of accuracy was caused by the tendency of the airplane to “Yaw”, which is like sliding sideways. This caused the bombardier to site the target slightly off the line of flight. This problem was fixed by “Little Herbert” a stability augmentation computer. Its likely, that the Luftwaffe would have had the same problems, if their Horton flying wings were allowed to develop. Sorry, just another one of my un-solicited history lessons…. I’ll be good now.

Although, it did take a while for us to get BACK to the flying wing design, I am proud to say the we got it right with the B-2. I’m also proud to say that I was a part of that program, Both at Secret City, (Pico Rivera) and Plant 42, Palmdale.

As far as going into combat with a plane, probably the P-51 Mustang. As for just a joyride, ME-262… Though my loyalties would probably steer me to the P-61

• I must admit I don’t know the stats of what each plane are. So I would have to vote based on looks so I would say the P-38 b/c it just looks uniquely bad a** with the twin tales.

• Put me in a Hellcat and let me go at it!

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.4m