Canada NO, and other questions

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

1. When the US declares war, does Canada get +3 NO just ONCE?  Or +3 everyturn?

2. When Holland falls, does the dutch fleet in the pacific become pro-allied? And when you activate New Guniea, they become yours?  OR do you roll for the fleet like you roll for conquered neutrals?

3. If you attack Gibraltar, and conquer it,  can you move ships through it on the subsequent NCM phase?  Or can you only move through it, if you’ve had it since the start of your turn?

4. Can you only choose to destroy an Airbase on your turn?  Or can you destroy it when you are being attacked, so as to prevent enemy planes from landing?

5. Is there any reason to build anything but TANKS for Germany on the ground?  at 5 IPC’s, they move two, attack at 6 without support, and fair WAY better than 2 infantry, or 1 inf/1art which are both MORE expensive.

Also, tried the new NB and AB rules, definitely interesting.  Landing on Conquered airbases though is a game breaking mechanic.  Else paratroopers are flying across the board with hordes of bombers taking factories.

The flying tigers not being able to fly if the burma road is closed, also kind of sucks, and is especially challenging, with the new AB rules.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Also…

6. Can Anzac build a minor on New Zealand? And if so, can they build capital ships out of it?

What if Anzac, or Inda capture Siam? or build/own a minor factory/naval-base in somewhere other than calcutta or sydney, can they build capital ships there?

7. If Germany captures leningrad in a combat move,  can they instantly on the non-combat move capture Spain? Or do they have to wait until the next turn?

8.  Why is Poland so screwed up?  No one EVER attacks western poland,  it’s always just a mincemeat battle for the capital, and the poles just sit around waiting to get slaughtered G2 or G3.

9. When capturing a neutral capital, why do you roll for all of the powers ships,  but not the powers infantry?  IE Turkey,  if  Someone captures the turkish captial, the ships are rolled for,  but the infantry (assumedly) become pro for the other side?  Shouldn’t these be rolled for with the same stats as the Vichy government?

10.  When a neutral territory is attacked, that has neutral ships along it’s coast,  are those ships rolled for then?  or ONLY when the capital falls?  And as the neutral becomes “pro allied”  how do the allies activate these neutral ships?  By activating the capital only?

• '14

Give me another day or 2 abd ill have you some answers.

• Hi Tigerman,

would be fine to get any answer!?

• I’ll do my best to answer some of these

1- +3 every turn
    2- cannot comment as we do not use the rules as written we have our own house rules for the Dutch that work better in our opinion,
    3- you can non combat through.
    4-  how would you destroy an airbase when you are attacked?
    5- attrition
    6- yes but no capital ships (for some reason)
      as for other countries not sure
    7- no the attempt must be made at the start of your turn

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

1. When the US declares war, does Canada get +3 NO just ONCE?  Or +3 everyturn?

Canada gets that paper every turn after U.S. goes to war (of course we do, Gargantua!).

2. When Holland falls, does the dutch fleet in the pacific become pro-allied? And when you activate New Guniea, they become yours?  OR do you roll for the fleet like you roll for conquered neutrals?

Dutch are allied to the commonwealth Fleet is de facto pro allied (remember ABDA?). No rolling necessary. Walk into New Guinea. Enjoy your new fleet. Liberally add ships/planes. Terrorize  Japanese to taste.

3. If you attack Gibraltar, and conquer it,  can you move ships through it on the subsequent NCM phase?  Or can you only move through it, if you’ve had it since the start of your turn?

Capture it, non-combat through it that turn.

4. Can you only choose to destroy an Airbase on your turn?  Or can you destroy it when you are being attacked, so as to prevent enemy planes from landing?

Can’t comment. Don’t use the rule.

5. Is there any reason to build anything but TANKS for Germany on the ground?  at 5 IPC’s, they move two, attack at 6 without support, and fair WAY better than 2 infantry, or 1 inf/1art which are both MORE expensive.

Matter of opinion. No doubt, German 5 IPC armour rocks. Tank-heavy armies work for the German player but…

I like inf /arty for defence of the Reich while running off to stomp Russia. Mech/arty combos have their uses too.

I’ve seen stacks of unsupported panzers chewed up by mass infantry/arty supported by air and or armour on the attack or on the defence with fortifications  (especially if the allies are smart enough to funnel everything they can into the USSR…which they ain’t always).

Also, tried the new NB and AB rules, definitely interesting.  Landing on Conquered airbases though is a game breaking mechanic.  Else paratroopers are flying across the board with hordes of bombers taking factories.

The flying tigers not being able to fly if the burma road is closed, also kind of sucks, and is especially challenging, with the new AB rules.

1. We don’t use those rules.

Speaking as one who plays as the Japanese a lot:

Poor Tigers (sniff, sniffle, sniff). No road = no fuel/parts I guess.

Personally, I like em —relative to being able to use them with that abominable road closed—right where they are.

I find China to be a big enough PITA they way she sits. An allied player I know gives me fits and spasms with his al Chinaeda forces and their flying terrorist buddy.

Also…

6. Can Anzac build a minor on New Zealand? And if so, can they build capital ships out of it?

Yes and yes. That’s how we play it.

What if Anzac, or Inda capture Siam? or build/own a minor factory/naval-base in somewhere other than calcutta or sydney, can they build capital ships there?

Sure, as long as they’re willing to pay for it. If I were playing Japan I’d find them very juicy.

7. If Germany captures leningrad in a combat move,  can they instantly on the non-combat move capture Spain? Or do they have to wait until the next turn?

Spain goes pro when Germany meets the conditions. Germany gets Spain that turn NC (i like to keep someone in S. France for the stroll).

8.  Why is Poland so screwed up?  No one EVER attacks western poland,  it’s always just a mincemeat battle for the capital, and the poles just sit around waiting to get slaughtered G2 or G3.

Hi Gargie, my name is No one, I attack w. Poland every game I play as Germany. “Un liberated” Polish territory has too much potential (and tends)  to harbour allied terrorists (not to mention I want the land—gweedy  like a Nazi on that score).  Poland being screwed up in this game is historically accurate in my opinion. It  did not have a chance. No friends nearby; scared/inept friends everywhere else.

9. When capturing a neutral capital, why do you roll for all of the powers ships,  but not the powers infantry?  IE Turkey,  if  Someone captures the turkish captial, the ships are rolled for,  but the infantry (assumedly) become pro for the other side?  Shouldn’t these be rolled for with the same stats as the Vichy government?

Matter of opinion. Naval rolls assume some ships in port may be over run or scuttled to prevent enemy capture. Some may be at sea.
    Armies generally will be expected to fight it out for the land they occupy and hope for relief. In Global 39, the hope of external help is a valid one as the enemy of the attacking power stands to benefit from absorbing the neutral armies. Don’t agree they should be rolled for like navies.

10.  When a neutral territory is attacked, that has neutral ships along it’s coast,  are those ships rolled for then?  or ONLY when the capital falls?  And as the neutral becomes “pro allied”  how do the allies activate these neutral ships?  By activating the capital only?

Only when the capital falls.
    P.30.    12. Strict neutrals: if a pro or strict neutral’s capital is captured…All remaining naval units must each roll 1d12…

Situation: Neutral capital not taken, country is pro whatever.
    If enemy of attacking power walks into remaining neutral territories, forces become theirs, including navies. They don’t have to activate the capital.

Basically, this is how we play it:

If the Global 39 rules don’t specifically disallow it and we’ve referenced the AandA rules, then it’s a go (eg Sydney/Calcutta ICs can’t build capital ships soooo ohhhh build some that can; there’s  no rule against it).

I really like the game rules wise the way it sits. This being said, I’d like to see more pieces with rules to go with them. For instance,  I’d really like to play the Soviets with armoured trains --choo choo!!! Here comes Voroshilov-- (seen the markers but would like to see some more detailed rules). I’m still hankering for a hunk a U-boat pen and I may  have to break down and create a surface raider for Germany, but I would rather have all of it official and legit from the Generals at HBG—not asking much , eh? I know, I know…)

Other pieces/markers in need of rules:

Underground factories and all those other industrial facilities offered by HBG.

Regardless,

Global 1939 is still the best A and A going, in my opinion.

I hope this helped a bit Gargantua.

I got a buncha pieces to go paint.

• '14

long wait guys…I have been pre occupied with other things on the home front and havent had the time to respond. I read through Koba’s last post and he has it down pat.  Thanks Koba

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m