Global 1940 2nd Edition Bidding Questions

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Our gaming group has come to the conclusion that some bid is needed to balance the game for the Allies.  In reading through the posts it seems to me that the general consensus is that the Allies need a bid of about 9-12.

My questions are:

1. Is a bid of 9-12 the current and reasonable amount?  As we will not want to bid for a particular side, we will set a certain bid point for each game and then let people choose which side they want to be as some Players enjoy playing particular Powers.  So what is a fair bid?

2. Is this bid added as starting income to be spent on Turn 1?

3. Is this bid added as units and money such as the Revised FIDA bid?

4. Is this bid added as units on the board with remainders as starting money?

5. For any units placed on the board are there any restrictions?  For example:
          a) Must have a unit already in the territory / sea zone?
          b) May not place more than X number of units?

I would appreciate your kind thoughts and comments.  Thank you…

• '18 '17 '16

@AndrewAAGamer:

Our gaming group has come to the conclusion that some bid is needed to balance the game for the Allies.  In reading through the posts it seems to me that the general consensus is that the Allies need a bid of about 9-12.

My questions are:

1. Is a bid of 9-12 the current and reasonable amount?  As we will not want to bid for a particular side, we will set a certain bid point for each game and then let people choose which side they want to be as some Players enjoy playing particular Powers.  So what is a fair bid?

Yes, 8-12 is reasonable. My friend and I often take turns giving a bid of 12 to the allies.

1. Is this bid added as starting income to be spent on Turn 1?

The bid is used to purchase units and place them before the game begins.

1. Is this bid added as units and money such as the Revised FIDA bid?

I am not familiar with FIDA bid.

1. Is this bid added as units on the board with remainders as starting money?

In our games we only allow units. Any left over funds are forfeit.

1. For any units placed on the board are there any restrictions?  For example:
      Yes, however we do not limit the types of units so long there is any type of unit in the territory. For example you cannot place an ANZAC infantry in New Guinea where there are no units currently. However, you can place infantry or tanks in Gibraltor where there is only a fighter.
      No, we allow any units that can be purchased with the bid amount.

Additionally in our games we set the requirement that the a bid of more than 10 must be split between the two sides of the map. The bid doesn’t have to perfectly balance. For example with a bid of 12 2 infantry may be placed in burma, and 2 in Gibraltor. This is completely optional. I know many others that do not set this requirement.

• @AndrewAAGamer:

My questions are:

My group usually goes 10-15, some where in the ball park of 8 to 14 is what everyone does.

1. Is this bid added as starting income to be spent on Turn 1?

What Siparo said.

1. Is this bid added as units and money such as the Revised FIDA bid?

Never played revised, and what is FIDA?  Another government agency?

1. Is this bid added as units on the board with remainders as starting money?

Siparo doesn’t do it, but my group allows it.

1. For any units placed on the board are there any restrictions?  For example:

My group has 3 rules:
    1.  Must be one unit per territory/seazone.
    2.  Can only be placed in a territory/seazone where you already have units occupying it.
    3.  Can only be a unit that power has access to (china can be inf and art only).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m