• Same plans as the end of every summer – getting ready for some football by reading every scrap of information from the camp of my favorite team.

• We do not particularly do anything different in Summer than we do not do all year round.
    Visiting castles and  having picnics in them is our usual weekend jaunt.

I suppose my biggest thing this summer would be enjoying the last 14 evenings of work with my wife before she finishes at our restaurant to start a daytime job.
    We have worked  together for 11 years.

• Buckeyes!!!

Three words seem to be coming up frequently – Dontre Wilson, Electric.

Coach Meyer in answering questions at media day tried to put the brakes on and shrug off the comments of his players that Dontre was the standout of the freshman. To say that they needed to back off the hyperbole cause pretty much everyone asked answered Dontre Wilson and he’s going to play.

By the third day of practice Coach was saying “He’s going to play.”

Usually with a freshman there’s an effort from coaches to tone down expectations and to a certain degree there is but you can tell it is half-hearted or that they don’t really believe it.

I can’t wait to see this kid play.

• @frimmel:

Buckeyes!!!

Wait, you don’t refer to them as THE Ohio State?

• @Jermofoot:

@frimmel:

Buckeyes!!!

Only in a self-deprecating way.

If Braxton Miller and the OL stay healthy and the middle linebacker situation gets sorted out this team should have a pretty decent season.

• I will be in Maui for a few weeks. I usually go there in early Sept each year.

I will fly to Waikiki and visit the Arizona and the army museum.

But the seasons have no relevance to me. Been retired for about 10 years now, so any day is a vacation except rent collection days.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Work.  Actually, pay to play, but they call it work, and I better let them or they may decide to stop paying me to go in which case I just get to play.  But I’d much rather get paid to play!  Imagine if you were paid $100 for each game of Axis and Allies you played from start to finish - you’d do it without pay, but it’s much better with pay!

Way too tanned to be a computer geekess anyway, so I have to avoid the sun for the foreseeable future. lol

• @Jermofoot:

@frimmel:

Buckeyes!!!

Any folks here from Ohio will enjoy this bit of dialogue from the Christmas service scene 1949 movie Battleground:

The Chaplain: Anybody here from Ohio?
    Soldier: Hawkeye Lake, sir.
    Soldier: Cincinnati, sir.
    Soldier: Mayfield Heights, sir.
    Soldier: Tippecanoe City, sir.
    The Chaplain: I’m from Chillicothe. Any of you men Lutherans?
    Soldier: Here, sir.
    Soldier: I am, sir.
    Soldier: My wife is, sir.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Happy wife, happy life.

There’s a Tippecanoe in Indiana too.  Wonder what the provenance is.

• @rjpeters70:

I went to a LOT of Catholic/Jewish weddings after college.

The next bit of dialogue in the movie is sort of on the same subject:

The Chaplain: But these services aren’t just for Lutherans any more than they’re just for men from Ohio. I merely happened to be in your area. In other areas there are other chaplains of various denominations and religions. All of us Holy Joes are switch hitters. Earlier this month in Holland I held Hanukkah services for some of the men of the Jewish faith. How’d I do Levenstein?
    Levenstein: Not bad for a beginner, sir!

I hasten to add that this film isn’t at all the comedy that it seems from the parts I’ve quoted.  It’s in fact a very tough and realistic and gritty (especially by 1949 standards) depiction of the Battle of the Bulge, as seen from the perspective of a unit of the 101st Airborne at Bastogne.

• @CWO:

@Jermofoot:

@frimmel:

Buckeyes!!!

Any folks here from Ohio will enjoy this bit of dialogue from the Christmas service scene 1949 movie Battleground:

The Chaplain: Anybody here from Ohio?
    Soldier: Hawkeye Lake, sir.
    Soldier: Cincinnati, sir.
    Soldier: Mayfield Heights, sir.
    Soldier: Tippecanoe City, sir.
    The Chaplain: I’m from Chillicothe. Any of you men Lutherans?
    Soldier: I am, sir.
    Soldier: My wife is, sir.

:?

I know those places, I know what a Lutheran, but I don’t get it?

• @Jermofoot:

The Chaplain was just setting up the next part of his speech, the one I quoted in my Reply #14 that starts “But these services aren’t just for Lutherans any more than they’re just for men from Ohio.”  And it provided a light-hearted moment in a movie whose overall mood is quite serious.

• @CWO:

@Jermofoot:

The Chaplain was just setting up the next part of his speech, the one I quoted in my Reply #14 that starts “But these services aren’t just for Lutherans any more than they’re just for men from Ohio.”  And it provided a light-hearted moment in a movie whose overall mood is quite serious.

Ok, gotcha, I see that other post now, thanks.

• Getting the children ready for school. Looking forward to some Football.

• Afternoon Worsham. the Italian football season starts on Sunday, but I will miss the first two Fiorentina games as my parents have gone to Florence and taken the Sky card with them!  I am going to have to wait until they return to see Fiorentina play.
    You support Texas, I suppose. I know nothing of your American Football.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m