• 3 German subs off the coast of Egypt. I have small US Navy parked in the sea zone directly west of it. UK has a factory on Egypt. If UK puts a destroyer in the Egypt sea zone, on Germany’s next turn what happens. I know they can either attack the destroyer, or retreat. But can they move out of the sea zone with the destroyer and attack the small US fleet.

• Morning eddiem4145. Yes; they can move out of the SZ with the Destroyer and then attack sea units in another SZ.

• Customizer

Also, they can move to an empty sea zone to get away from the UK destroyer. That’s one of those conditions where the combat move doesn’t result in combat.

• In the original AA that came out in CD-Rom, an exact replica of the game to be played on a desktop, or when, (I believe) the revised online game on axis and allies.com, if an enemy ship is next to an IC, and the opposing play puts a ship there, on the next turn the enemy ship is given the option to fight or retreat. I don’t remember the options to move and fight again.

Please explain. The destroyer should stop the subs movement unless they retreat.

• '12

@eddiem4145:

In the original AA that came out in CD-Rom, an exact replica of the game to be played on a desktop, or when, (I believe) the revised online game on axis and allies.com

Keep in mind that there are subtle variations in the rules between different versions of the game, especially so between the original `80s version and modern incarnations.

• Great, but can someone explain it. A destroy stops sub movement. So during it combat movement, it should only be allowed to attack or retreat. Please explain in the rules where they can move out and attack somewhere else.

• Customizer

It has the explanation on Page 14 of the Europe 1940 2nd Edition rulebook and page 13 of the Pacific 1940 2nd Edition rulebook under the title “Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones”:
    If you are sharing a sea zone with surface warships (not submarines and/or transports) belonging to a power with which you are at war, this situation requires you to do one of the following:
    1 > Remain in the sea zone and conduct combat.
    2 > Leave the sea zone, load units if desired, and conduct combat elsewhere.
    3 > Leave the sea zone, load units, and return to the same sea zone to conduct combat (you can’t load units while in a hostile sea zone), or
    4 > Leave the sea zone and conduct no combat.

I believe #2 has the answer you are looking for. This is how it is written in the rulebook. Obviously all the talk about “load units” is referring to transports, but the rest of it applies to submarines or any other ship you may have in that sea zone.
    The “destroyer stopping submarine movement” occurs when a submarine is moving from another sea zone into a sea zone with an enemy destroyer in it. That is when the sub must stop. While it doesn’t specifically say, when a sub starts it’s move in a sea zone with an enemy destroyer, it can use it’s combat move to escape. That is the only instance where the destroyer will NOT prevent sub movement.
    In your example, the German subs could move to get away from the UK destroyer and attack the US fleet. OR, they could even move past the US fleet to another sea zone unless that US fleet has a destroyer, in which case they would have to stop and conduct combat.

• I was looking for something clear like that but could not find it. Thank you very much for taking the time. I appreciate it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m