Which global game to play or modify?

• I have classic, revised, and old pacific.  Got the WW2 bug again lately and dug up my boxes and my old house rules.  Spent alot of time reading, writing new house rules, and looking for maps.

I want to print my own map and place in a poster frame, use the pieces I have on it, and play a modified form of global with my own rules.

Which map is the best global map in your opinion, and which global game is the best framset to pull from?

I found the thread with AA50 and AA42 maps, look nice, slight preference for AA50 due to expanded victory cities.  Is AA50 anniversary or something else?  Found several other player made maps some of which look good, but still leaning towards 50.  Not overly interested in global 40 because its too big, nor global 39 because like many aftermarket maps, it appears to get sucked into too many regions and details for the sake of having them, instead of making a few simple modifications for a better game.

Anyways…thoughts?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I like this train of thought and for the most part agree with you.

While I like and prefer the size of Global 40, I think you can essentially shrink it and its elements to fit a midsized game like A&A50 (Anniversary).

In terms of the best map to use and best rule set to pull from… well, like I said, I prefer the G40 map. As for rules, G40 (2nd ed.) has the most modern set adapted for the newer pieces used.

I really like the Global War 1939 map… but I, like you, do not need or want the extra minor nations and extended turn structure. I think it is too complex. I would love to essentially play G40 on the G39 map, though the setups are likely not compatible.

• How would you play G40 on 39?  Are you referring more to the rules, and thus setting the neutrals and related rules in stone so to speak to simply play G40 with more ‘room’?

I think AA50 looks beautiful and as a stepup from 42 is exactly what Im looking for.  Any comments on quibbles or how that map plays differently from revised or 42?

I need to get off the pot so to speak…print it out and put all the house rules Ive written to work!

@talonz:

How would you play G40 on 39?  Are you referring more to the rules, and thus setting the neutrals and related rules in stone so to speak to simply play G40 with more ‘room’?

That is the dilemma I am struggling with. I want to play on the GW39 map, which seems both bigger and better in my opinion, but I want to use (essentially) the A&A G40 rules and setup… with the addition of some non-radical house rules. I have not examined the GW39 map to see if this is possible without a major reworking.

Essentially, your assertion is correct: I want G40 with more room.    Now, I have not thought or tested this to determine if it is a good idea, playability-wise, but it is something I have wanted for some time.

I like the concept behind GW39, which is to expand and refine what Axis and Allies Global 1940 is … However, I think they went a little too far for me, especially regarding neutrals and minor nations. Plus, I personally do not see the need to go back to a 1939 setup when 1940 is quite fine and closer to war for everyone.

@talonz:

I think AA50 looks beautiful and as a step up from 42 is exactly what Im looking for.  Any comments on quibbles or how that map plays differently from revised or 42?

Besides the addition of the cruiser and mech. infantry, the mechanics are basically identical. National Objectives were added for income and Tech Research was modified, but these are both very positive additions. Since G40 came out, I have not played a single game of Anniversary… so opinions are not fresh, but I do know what it is like.

If I am not mistaken, aren’t Revised and '42 essentially the same game also? Except that '42 is the updated version? I have played '42 a few times and played Revised a lot before the newer generation came out.

Seems to me, if you are looking for something in between Revised/'42 and Global in terms of size, then Anniversary is your ticket. The rules are pretty much identical to Revised/'42 but not as politically involved as Global.

• Having not played 39/40, are you looking for more room for pieces on the map, or more territories on the map to play within?

Im certainly not averse to trying either, but want as you say something between revised/42 and the global games, so using anniversary as my map sounds perfect.  I want it to be playable in an evening and not weighed down by too much minutae or pieces.

Im not sure of the differences between rev/42 maps, google turns up a few discussions mostly centred around alaska.  Anniv. seems to be a stepup in graphics and regions and most importantly has more victory cities, especially in the pacific where they are greatly needed imo.

I wonder how much printing this out will cost….

Next step will be finalizing my rules and deciding on what pieces to use.

@talonz:

Having not played 39/40, are you looking for more room for pieces on the map, or more territories on the map to play within?

Both, but predominantly more territories. Again, maybe experience would prove me wrong and (a little bit) bigger is not better, but I would like to try it. Without having played, I like the territory layout of G39 better, but prefer the aesthetics of G40.

@talonz:

I wonder how much printing this out will cost….

YoungGrasshopper was printing his modified G40 for about $150. I don’t recall if he was resizing it, but it was at least $150 for him. He also lives in Canada, so there might be a very slight price difference. I am sure your local print shop could give an estimate if you asked.

@talonz:

Next step will be finalizing my rules and deciding on what pieces to use.

Seems like the map is most important and the rest will fall in place or evolve as time goes on. Pieces and rules can always be added or subtracted. Spaces on the gameboard; not so much.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m