League Moderator(s) Vote - Please Vote!

• The League forum currently has 4 official Moderators acting with the blessing of this site. However only one of them ever posts in the League forum, most of them are spotty (at best) as far as logging in is concerned, and none of them takes part in moderating the forum.

Cmdr Jennifer has been the sole ‘unofficial’ league moderator up to this point. And she’s handled it well to this point. However, there have been some changes that have impacted the situation somewhat. Others, myself included, have voiced a preference for Gamerman01 to be entrusted as a moderator if not as the lead moderator.

This is not a knock on Cmdr Jennifer, but more of an acknowledgement of the service and dedication that Gamerman01 brings to the League play. Cmdr Jennifer was unfortunately sick/injured to the point of being hospitalized for several months and this negatively affected the league play as we were without any moderation and issues between players could not be resolved by outside persons. In addition, league play has boomed over the last year and we’ve see a HUGE increase both in number of active players and games played to date. This makes it harder for one player to moderate this much activity.

Gamerman01 has provided a steadying influence to the forum in Cmdr Jennifer’s unforeseen absence and have worked hard to provide several services to the league community. Please read the post linked below for specific examples of Gamerman01’s contributions to the league.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30762.msg1176502#msg1176502

Please vote if you care about the league. Additionally, bringing this vote to your opponent’s attention will help ensure that every active player makes their opinion known if they so wish. Thanks!

• We can vote and choose our own moderators, however at best we will not have an official moderator unless we take an additional step. Dave Jensen is the creator and owner of this great site and he has the ability to appoint moderators to any forum or subforum. One way to get either Cmdr Jennifer and/or Gamerman01 appointed is to write to Dave Jensen yourself and let him know what you would like. I’ve taken the liberty of crafting a letter to Dave and will post it here so that you can just copy and paste it if you want. Just follow this link http://www.axisandallies.org/contact/ and bang out your own thoughts or copy what I’ve written below. Feel free to reword it or whathaveyou and maybe change the signature as well.

Dave Jensen,

I would like to see both Gamerman01 and Cmdr Jennifer appointed official site moderators of the “Play Boardgames” subforum (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=40.0). Both have contributed towards maintaining and improving online play, specifically within the League play subforum. Cmdr Jennifer has already been acting as an unofficial moderator for league play and I feel that both her and Gamerman01 will continue to improve and maintain the outstanding league play that has boomed within the past year. It is that increased activity and the lack of active moderation, in some cases activity period, by the current four moderators that leads me to write you about this issue. This site has become the premier online play site out there and that can continue with these two moderators acting on your behalf. Thank you for your time and action in this matter.

v/r
    Concerned Player

• Bump and vote!

Not bad voting percentage based on who has been active. Guess no one really has comments though.  :lol:

• And it looks like there’s no viable 3rd party candidate either. Seems pretty cut and dry between Gamer and Cmdr Jenn.

• '12

looks like it’s pretty clear that gamer will be functioning as the lead moderator with Jenn as his co-chair.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Okay, first off, I should mention the only person who can give moderator powers is Djensen and he’s gone a couple years now without fixing my powers (and presumably all the other “moderators”) to work in the league forum.  Just thought I would mention it.

Secondly, I want to state again, I have considered gamerman my unofficial assistant since about halfway through last year’s season.  I cannot appoint an official who is not a moderator in his own right since I cannot give them the power to actually do anything.  So the “official” backup moderator was Darth Maximus as he was the ONLY other active moderator at the time. Therefore, Gamerman was fully within his purview to act as moderator while I was out of commission in the hospital. Â

And of course, I have been really open to players who want changes made.  Unlike a certain previous League Moderator, I don’t think that the rules should be used AGAINST the players - so when the players asked to increase number of games allowed against each other and more contestants in the playoffs of course I granted it.

I am also in discussion mode trying to bring up issues NOW so that when the rules are written for next year, we don’t have problems.  Keep in mind, the base rules came from the AAR league of 2007 which is why there are some issues that need correcting, like bidding for axis instead of bidding for allies.  My problem comes that I do not think I, as League Moderator, have the power to unilaterally alter the league rules, especially since they’ve been in use for over 5 years!  So I raise issues I see that I want input on, and let the forum discuss them.  For instance, China bids.  The original rules from 2007 said nothing about China because it did not exist as a power, so does that mean it is a power for bidding, or does it mean you cannot bid for it, does it mean you cannot bid artillery or that you can, etc.  I needed community input before just ruling on it, and the community input was that China can bid Infantry, Artillery or Fighters so that is how the rule will read for next year. (I may make it more flowery in it’s wording, but that’s the gist.)  Does that make me ineffective as League Moderator?  I would argue it makes me stronger than a specific predecessor of mine as the community makes the rules, I just adjudicate as to whether or not they are followed in specific instances.

That said, if you are looking for an Empress to rule with a gilded scepter, let me know, I play queen b!tch really well. :P  (And of course, I don’t care how much you complain, if something is expressly written as against the rules in the actual game rulebooks, I have to disallow it. Goodness knows I tried to get some important things fixed back in Alpha, Larry just wasn’t concerned with what I was. /oh well.)

@Boldfresh:

looks like it’s pretty clear that gamer will be functioning as the lead moderator with Jenn as his co-chair.

Keep in mind, djensen has to make that decision.  As of now I am working under the impression that the only moderator that is active on the forums is me, and as such, I have to be lead.  Remember, this is Djensen’s forum, only he has the power to appoint representatives.  If Djensen tells me to hand over the reigns to something I’ll gracefully step aside, until then, I have to assume he supports my decisions per Forum Rules.

• I gather from the timing of the poll (closes early November) that this is about next year.

To be clear, this poll is not asking about “switching horses mid-stream”.  It’s a vote for the next “term”, I take it.

I am just about making the league the best possible place to play A&A, and making sure all players are treated evenly and fairly.  I think my league rankings and my work as Rules Deputy has demonstrated these desires.  I’m not interested in fame or power - just want to make sure the league is the best possible experience for everyone.

• @Cmdr:

Okay, first off, I should mention the only person who can give moderator powers is Djensen and he’s gone a couple years now without fixing my powers (and presumably all the other “moderators”) to work in the league forum. � Just thought I would mention it.

The lack of involvement from Dave Jensen is a big reason for why the players are talking about who they want to moderate going forward.  If it takes action from Dave Jensen and “he’s gone a couple years now” then we are a ship adrift at sea where status quo will reign.  This is exactly why players are concerned.

• '12

i think it should be active immediately gamer.  Jenn, keep in mind that Dave Jensen responded to me with a “sounds great” the last time he responded to my request to instate gamer, which was about 4 or 5 months ago.  it seems dave is a very busy man that doesn’t spend much time on the site.

anyway, i can’t imagine he would have a problem with making gamer the lead moderator if by far the majority of league players support it.  and we are not talking about gamer being the sole moderator, you are still there as well.  i think we should go this route unless/until dave jensen comes in and says it should NOT be done.

cheers

• '12

i’m not concerned with the switching ships midstream idea.  i don’t see it as remotely likely that gamer will try to make wholesale or significant change for the 2013 season.  it’s 2014 that is the concern and i’d like to see him in place asap as a moderator in order to have time to prepare for 2014.

@Boldfresh:

i’m not concerned with the switching ships midstream idea.  i don’t see it as remotely likely that gamer will try to make wholesale or significant change for the 2013 season.  it’s 2014 that is the concern and i’d like to see him in place asap as a moderator in order to have time to prepare for 2014.

I am not sure how that would change anything for 2014.  The only changes I have made from 2012 to 2013 is to increase number of games between individual players and increase the size of the playoffs.  Gamer would have done the exact same or at least extremely similar had he been aware he was Vice League Moderator (I swear, I told him last year and he said he wanted to, I remember that conversation - however, I cannot say it actually took place or I imagined it. :P  )

And for the record, I would see the VLM as being equal to LM, I would just ask the courtesy of being informed of major decisions before they are implemented ie “Jenn, the league is asking if they can play best of 39 games in a single year, we have 2 or 3 dozen players who are capped at best of 37 games already.  I am going to say yes, but I wanted to let you know.”  (yes I made it a ridiculous number for a reason, so everyone would know it was ridiculous!)

• @Cmdr:

@Boldfresh:

Keep in mind, djensen has to make that decision.� As of now I am working under the impression that the only moderator that is active on the forums is me, and as such, I have to be lead.� Remember, this is Djensen’s forum, only he has the power to appoint representatives.� If Djensen tells me to hand over the reigns to something I’ll gracefully step aside, until then, I have to assume he supports my decisions per Forum Rules.�

Where does it state from him that you are a moderator? You’re not one of the four names listed on the subforums. You’ve always acted as a moderator in the 1.5 years I’ve actually been playing A&A here. But I’d like to see some appointment orders or acknowledgement from Jensen.

@Cmdr:

I have considered gamerman my unofficial assistant since about halfway through last year’s season.

This was never acknowledged by you until the past couple of days. Without proof, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. It’s not official until it’s on paper somewhere. Regardless, it doesn’t help the league community unless they are aware of it. And trust me, I saw a couple issues pop up while you were MIA and Gamer didn’t feel comfortable making a ruling beyond explaining what the rules were.

@Cmdr:

And of course, I have been really open to players who want changes made.

You state here and several other places that you want community involvement and that you’ll do your best to listen to the league players. Well 20 individual voter so far in the 8+ hours this poll has been open have voted. According to Gamer’s ranking sheet, there are 50 players with at least one completed game. Looking at that list, I know of 4 of them who are no longer active and there are probably more. So a significant number of the active players have voted so far. And of those 20 voters, 54% favor Gamer as either the sole moderator or as the head moderator vs 23% for you. The rest either don’t care or would favor both of you on the same level. Either way, close to 70% of the votes so far are in favor of Gamer being a Mod. And it’d take a complete reversal of the voting trend so far to change that.

• At the very least I wanted the league moderator issue to be settled prior to next season as that way the moderator(s) could work ahead of time to implement any needed rule changes or clarification prior to the start of next league season. And I wanted to make sure that everyone, including new players joining between now and the next season to have their voice as well.

I’ll be continuing to bug Dave and keep him appraised of the community’s feelings as far as who should be their moderator. Obviously it’s in everyone’s best interest to choose someone that everyone trusts and respects as this will make his/her/their job easier. But if a significant percentage of the league players support having Gamer act as an official unofficial Moderator, then there’s no reason why he shouldn’t act as moderator. The only person who can make anyone’s moderator status official official is Dave himself.

Well, unless I hear from Dave I assume the matter is settled.  TBH he’s always replied to me with that he’s busy and to just deal with it.  Granted, he may not be appraised that I returned, I never specifically told him that I was gone - I just posted on the GD that I was back after a long hospitalization (and I’d have to check, but it may be on the moderator only forums as well.)

As for who is in charge next year, I’d say the same as this year.  Commander Jenn as League Moderator and Gamerman01 as Assistant League Moderator.  I admit that he did not know (I went back to read the PMs we had and it’s plainly clear from 2/10-3/1 last year that he was unaware he was ALM and on 11/10/12 he only responded that he would think about it, not that he accepted.)  So I take the blame for that fully.

• OK, Jenn, well now I know, so I can stop saying “I can’t give you an official ruling” or, “you’ll have to wait for Jenn because I have no authority”

Don’t worry, I wouldn’t think of making any new rules going forward without talking to you privately first.
    Sounds like we will be working together in the coming months, then, on next year’s league rules and protocols (since you consider me vice-Moderator and consider vice-Moderator to be equal to Moderator)

It would be helpful if you would post words to that effect (that I am a vice-moderator and have authority to make binding decisions, like on game disputes and league rules, etc), so that the league players know.  Otherwise some may still not accept my answers and make you answer them as well.

I’m just trying to help everyone have a good experience and make things go as smoothly as possible, and this includes you, Cmdr.

I agree.

I’ll post an official invite in the league rules thread so you can refer back to it should the need arise.  (It probably wont, but I never thought at the ripe old age of 29+5 I would be in the hospital for 4 months either.)

• Thanks for the support, guys.  I’ll continue to do my best to promote fun, comaradarie and fair play.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m