New on the forum, just curious as to what you all think about an opening move I use with UK pretty often. On the first turn, build a factory in India. I consider the UK pacific fleet pretty much useless against Japan, I say let US deal with it since they have the money, so i abandon it in favor of a land based strategy. I’ve seen people try building a factory in India where they move the one inf over from persia and pull the plane in from the carrier and try and defend it. The problem with that strategy is that if Japan wants India bad enough on the first turn, the math says they can take it. (They will lose some fighters, but having a factory on the mainland seems like a worthwhile trade). Here are my moves (only on the Pacific side) for turn one.
1. send the carrier in India to get the unprotected transport by Kwangtung.
2. Send the Australian sub to get the Japanese sub
3. Put 2 inf from Australia onto a transport and attack New Guinea (Not a huge part of the plan, but technically the math is in my favor)
4. Move inf from Persia into India
5. (here’s where things get dicey) send everything in India, plus the fighter from the carrier, into southeast Asia. Unless the Japan player catches on to what I’m doing, the first two units he allows to be killed will be the infantry there. I don’t really care so much about getting the plane, so unless i’m doing really well I just retreat after I destroy the ground units. This way, Japan has no ground units in range to capture the factory, and next turn I can reinforce it with 3 tanks, and from there just send ground units up the coast until Japan is kicked out of mainland Asia. Then I would use the factory to reinforce Russia from the East.
On the 1st Edition of 1942 this is almost suicidal because the Japanese player should focus everything on preparing to attack India from J2 onwards and he’ll be able to do so unless you commit the Soviets to defend the IC. Which is almost suicidal as well because Germany should also be pushing hard into Russia and it will usually mean that the Soviets will lose Caucasus.
You’re also leaving Africa to Germany if you follow this.
i don’t feel cheated at all not having some sort of way to keep the piece sorted, Ever since the old Europe game was released I’ve always put all my piece for every game in plastic trays I bought at home depot. I think I’ve gotten to the point I could play global without using a single plastic chip. The only ones not in those plastic trays is the clown nose red japanese pieces from the old pacific they are in a zip lock bag in the game box.
Wow! Thanks for all the great feedback. I agree with everything you mentioned.
We are working on a How-to-Play video for 1942.2 that will be finished soon. It is a detailed look at every aspect of the rules with lots of examples. It can be watched all the way through by a new player or used as companion to the rulebook. I worked with a number of the games top players and a few educational experts to make sure everything is accurate and easy to understand. Yes, it is a very long video.
We are in the final editing process now. We look forward to sharing it with the community in the coming days.
Thanks again for the feedback!