• I have not played with bids a whole lot but has anyone tried the minor in queensland for a +12 ally bid?  I know as the Anzac player I try to eventually build there cause you can drop a transport and guys and you have access to all the islands as well as Malaya/shan state/siam so everything is one turn away (2 if you include the build as opposed to 3).

I also understand it makes it a little more enticing for Japan to take it but with the US help seems like a pretty tough rout for Japan to go.

Would love to hear ideas from people who have tried it or just thoughts on pros and cons!!!

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’ve never found the minor factory limit for ANZAC to be much of a problem.  If I had 12 extra for ANZAC, I think I would try some of the following:

Transport and artillery for 11
    Bomber for 12
    two submarines
    Tac
    4 infantry

The extra transport would be nice if you think your opponent will DOW on J1.  Bombers are always handy.

• I agree when it comes to money but when it comes to placement is what I was wondering.  In Sydney you put a tt down and it is 2 moves away from every thing but Java.  This allows Japan a turn to prepare if they are able.  When you drop a transport in Queensland, Japan has a lot of islands they have to think about.  Especially with the US there to open any blocks Japan tries to throw out.

Like I said, never tried it since I have never played the allies with a bid.  Aside from maybe Japan taking it, it seems to me that it could pose some serious problems for Japan protecting the DEI.

• Generally I feel that move-able pieces make more sense from a bid perspective.  Particularly ones that changes odds of low unit count fights (IE a SS off Egypt).

I don’t think I’d agree to 12 IPC for Anzac to begin with as ANZAC should take multiple turns before it is very relevant.  Giving a minor on top of an AB and NB that is in a position to land its purchases on so many places cripples Japan’s ability to be confident in taking and holding anything south of Flip.

Japan can in fact get large, but winning the game is far from decided with a well employed strategy.

Additionally, I’d probably put 3 Mech on Calcutta if I was given 12 IPC because Burma could be all settled rather quickly and decidedly hurt Japan more by losing ground in China so early.

• I don’t think I’d agree to 12 IPC for Anzac to begin with as ANZAC should take multiple turns before it is very relevant.  Giving a minor on top of an AB and NB that is in a position to land its purchases on so many places cripples Japan’s ability to be confident in taking and holding anything south of Flip.

Are you saying that you don’t think it should be allowed, similar to stacking Yunnan with 4 infantry?

Additionally, I’d probably put 3 Mech on Calcutta if I was given 12 IPC because Burma could be all settled rather quickly and decidedly hurt Japan more by losing ground in China so early.

This makes sense for the opponents that DOW with Japan early but…… what about the people who don’t DOW until J4?  The mech are not quite as significant unless they are used for an unprovoked declaration and you can do that without them:)

• I wouldn’t say the minor should not be allowed, but you sure have a serious handicap (golf term, not intellect associated) if you require 12 IPC to play as the Allies.  That or you’re sandbagging.

If you know Japan is waiting until J4 - I’d probably purchase a Tac.  2 Tac, 2 Ftr will be on 2 CV by the end of UK3, reinforced by a BB, CR and a DD or three (depending on what you do with the S.Africa and French DD).

That, combined with a US and Anzac fleet being built over multiple turns probably spells the end of Japanese aggression once the war breaks out?  IDK - never waited the full length to DOW as Japan (well I did once, as Japan marched across Russia)

• @Spendo02:

I wouldn’t say the minor should not be allowed, but you sure have a serious handicap (golf term, not intellect associated) if you require 12 IPC to play as the Allies.  That or you’re sandbagging.

You would be surprised at how strong the axis are.

• @elevenjerk:

I have not played with bids a whole lot but has anyone tried the minor in queensland for a +12 ally bid?  I know as the Anzac player I try to eventually build there cause you can drop a transport and guys and you have access to all the islands as well as Malaya/shan state/siam so everything is one turn away (2 if you include the build as opposed to 3).

I also understand it makes it a little more enticing for Japan to take it but with the US help seems like a pretty tough rout for Japan to go.

Would love to hear ideas from people who have tried it or just thoughts on pros and cons!!!

I believe that an minor bid to queens is a bad idea regardless.  It does not start to benefit until Anzac turn 2 (instead of UK1 or Ch1 or even G1 in some cases), Japan can stack Caroline and neutralize it for the first few turns by scaring anzac from building boats there, you already have an IC next door, and since anzac is last in the pecking order.  The only time i see the IC useful, is if ANZAC is regularly making 24+ and there is no threat to the seazone.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

a 3 IPC bid in New Guinea of an infantry is superior.

• Thanks for all the thoughts guys!!!

I do like the Inf in New Guinea bid.  Saves the use of a transport by Anzac.

I believe that an minor bid to queens is a bad idea regardless.  It does not start to benefit until Anzac turn 2 (instead of UK1 or Ch1 or even G1 in some cases), Japan can stack Caroline and neutralize it for the first few turns by scaring anzac from building boats there, you already have an IC next door, and since anzac is last in the pecking order.  The only time i see the IC useful, is if ANZAC is regularly making 24+ and there is no threat to the seazone.

I agree if Japan is doing a late DOW!  Anzac wouldn’t really need boats initially.  They could build land units until Japan has shown more of their strategy.  Once they are out of range from taking Anzac transports out with anything but fighters then you can start placing transports, and like I said earlier you have so many islands that you can threaten.  At that point the 15 ipc’s that Anzac tends to make for a lot of the earlier rounds is plenty.  TT, Inf, Art (or a 2nd Inf).  13-14 ipcs.  Makes it so US doesn’t have to spend as much on TT’s and guys.  They can spend the money on Navy to neutralize the Japanese Navy.

If you know Japan is waiting until J4 - I’d probably purchase a Tac.  2 Tac, 2 Ftr will be on 2 CV by the end of UK3, reinforced by a BB, CR and a DD or three (depending on what you do with the S.Africa and French DD).

Unless the player tells you, a good J4 will have options throughout the first 3 turns to attack at any point:)

That, combined with a US and Anzac fleet being built over multiple turns probably spells the end of Japanese aggression once the war breaks out?  IDK - never waited the full length to DOW as Japan (well I did once, as Japan marched across Russia)

You have to remember, unless the US sends navy over from Europe, they can only build 3 boats a turn.  that is only 9 boats at the end of US 3. Then they are at least one turn away from doing anything to significant.

To sum it all up….  It was merely an idea.  I have never tried it.  I may just to see what happens:)  Thanks for all the input though!!!

• 3 boats a turn on the Atlantic side or the pacific side?

• 3 boats a turn on the Atlantic side or the pacific side?

Pacific.  He was speaking of the type of Navy that could get built up between Anzac and US with a late DOW.  Without pulling guys from the Atlantic, US can’t put a ton of guys on the Pacific in those first 3 turns.  Just to match the Japan Navy the US needs 2 more carriers, 1 battleship, 1 destroyer.  That’s  60 ipcs.  In my opinion, US needs more navy since they need to be the attackers.  That would require neglecting the atlantic almost entirely (which isn’t an awful idea depending on how good the German player is).  That also doesn’t take into account that Japan buys a Carrier and can load it without spending the 20-21 ipcs for fighters.  The Naval bases also allow for 3 more fighters to defend if used correctly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m