• My girlfriend tried to use my new PC with win8 last night to do some school stuff, lol after 20mins of fumbling around to no avail she asked me what in the f*** kind of computer I bought and gave up
    I can’t wait til I get win7 on it so I can use it without getting a massive headache
    I finally got java installed on it last night so I could catch up on some one GTO games, IE10 for win8 is equally as worthless and frustrating. Chrome works tho thank God

• @Uncrustable:

Well of course if your an apple user you will love win8 lol
    you were probably defending vista too  :-P

but as far as long time pc users are concerned, win8 is crap
    we have to completely forget 2 decades of pc/windows knowledge and hop over to apple’ish computing

and as far as raw numbers are concerned win8 is actually doing worse (far worse) at this point than did vista at the same point

Barely used Vista, and I have my complaints with Win and iOS, but nothing like you’ll see here.

Even though PC sales are down in general, Win8 is on a better pace than Vista, and a slightly better pace than Win7.

The only thing it has in common with iOS is the touch screen function.  I’m not sure how you get around the fundamental nature of those devices.  If you do, you might look into it as it would probably make some cash.

@empireman:

So which is it?  Is it exactly the same as before, or is it useless because it is completely different?  It can not be both.

@Uncrustable:

My girlfriend tried to use my new PC with win8 last night to do some school stuff, lol after 20mins of fumbling around to no avail she asked me what in the f*** kind of computer I bought and gave up
    I can’t wait til I get win7 on it so I can use it without getting a massive headache
    I finally got java installed on it last night so I could catch up on some one GTO games, IE10 for win8 is equally as worthless and frustrating. Chrome works tho thank God

I don’t get it.  Why fumble around for 20 minutes?  Why take so much time to complain.  Go learn the system!

Tell me - do you invest hundreds of dollars into anything else without taking any time to familiarize yourself with it.

This sounds more like user error than system inability.

• Honestly this is a matter of opinion. If you like it and enjoy using it then more power to you.
    But I’d like to know from what source you get that win8 is doing better than 7, because that is a flat lie lol
    It is already down to nearly the 10million mark at 6 months, 7 never dropped below 20million

• @Uncrustable:

Honestly this is a matter of opinion. If you like it and enjoy using it then more power to you.
    But I’d like to know from what source you get that win8 is doing better than 7, because that is a flat lie lol
    It is already down to nearly the 10million mark at 6 months, 7 never dropped below 20million

It has sold 100 million licenses in 6 months.  10 million is outright wrong.

• You misread
    It’s at the 10 million mark in the 6th month
    That is it only sold just just over 10 million in month #6
    7 never dropped below 20

• @Uncrustable:

You misread
    It’s at the 10 million mark in the 6th month
    That is it only sold just just over 10 million in month #6
    7 never dropped below 20

No, you miswrote.
    Win8 sales at 6 months is on par with Win7 sales at 6 months.
    But I’ve already gone over how the market has changed, this is more a symptom of mobile computing and Apple domination in that category, which started before Win8 was ever released.  However, both Win8 and Win7 have increasing market share while XP and Vista are declining.

• Lets look at some numbers jermo,

The PC market has suffered its biggest decline on record, with first quarter shipments dropping 14% since the same time last year. This unprecedented decline casts a very ominous light on the PC industry, which had hoped that Windows 8 would bolster sales — but instead, Microsoft’s new OS is a major factor in the most precipitous decline in history.
    These figures come from IDC, which has been tracking PC shipments since 1994. Shipments (not sales, which were probably lower) of PCs in the first quarter of 2013 totaled 76.3 million, down 13.9% from the first quarter of 2012. Gartner, which has a slightly different definition of “PC,” pegged the decline at 11%. Among the individual PC makers, every OEM except Lenovo experienced a decline in shipments. HP’s PC department, which has been flagging for some time, experienced a huge drop of 24% compared to the same time last year.

Vista, universally acknowledged as a failure, actually had significantly better adoption numbers than Windows 8. At similar points in their roll-outs, Vista had a desktop market share of 4.52% compared to Windows 8’s share of 2.67%

on the desktop, Windows 7 still ranks as the top operating system with 44.85-percent of all PC users, followed by the still popular Windows XP with 37.74-percent. Vista—yes the never-loved Vista—comes in at third with 4.51 percent. Despite the fact that finding and buying Windows 7 PCs has become increasingly more expensive and difficult, just try finding one in a retail store, Windows 8 share is growing but still comes in last at 4.27 percent.
    Worse still, Windows 8’s month-over-month growth rate is lagging further and further behind Vista’s dreadful 2007 adoption numbers. When comparing the operating systems when they were first launched, Windows 8’s adoption rate in its first month trailed Vista by just over half-a-percent among PC buyers. Now, in their 8th month out, Vista’s market-share numbers now lead Windows 8 by 3.64 percent. Needless to say, both lag far behind XP and Windows 7’s numbers at similar points in their product life-cycle.

• With the exception of the Xbox, Microsoft has been on a string of high-profile failures like Zune, Windows Phone, and Surface tablets. But its latest cock-up, the much-reviled Windows 8 operating system may have been the final straw for lots of Windows-based PC users, at least according to those who make the computers.
    ZDnet’s Adrian Kingsley-Hughes writes today it’s been so bad that an upcoming Windows 8 update might actually be a U-turn to the interface that Windows users are accustomed to.
    He also says that original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) have been hurt by the drastic switch to Windows 8.
    Some manufacturers like Samsung and Lenovo have taken actions — such as adding a Start button replacement — that openly address complaints from consumers about Windows 8. While others, like the CEO of Asus, have been more open about their displeasure, publicly stating that “demand for Windows 8 is not that good right now.”
    But there are those with even harsher views of Windows 8. Kingsley-Hughes writes that “Privately, one OEM source told me that Microsoft is ‘destroying’ the PC industry, while another claimed that Windows 8 has ‘handed over millions of customers to Apple.’”
    This is a delicate time for Microsoft in the consumer world, as more people do their e-mailing and web-browsing from smartphones, tablets, or other connected devices that don’t use a Windows OS. Meanhile, both Google and Apple continue to dominate the mobile OS market — in addition to the hardware sold by both companies.
    “Windows 8 has done little to boost sales,” writes Kingsley-Hughes, “so OEMs will be pinning their hopes on the next big thing to come out of Redmond.”

• @Imperious:

I prefer windows 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGxsVUDE5Q

If that is Windows 9, im sticking with 7 again.

• I just bought the Alienware x51 with Win 8.

I have to say, Win 8 was confusing and pissed me off.

at first.

but now, I really like it.  Switching from the tablet screen and the desktop is extremely easy.

Missing the start bar?  put your mouse in the top right or bottom right of the screen.  Bam, there you go.  problem solved.  Everything is consolidated where it makes sense to be.

I look at the different desktops as having their strengths and weaknesses.  If I need to do file management, installations, etc… the old desktop is better.

If I want to quickly get to entertainment or personal things like videos/games/music/anything internet related, the Apps desktop is superior.

It took me all of an hour to become familiar with it to the point of confidently and quickly navigating anywhere on the OS.

I am what some would call “computer illiterate” and I have a healthy mistrust of technology.  If I can do it, so can you.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Last weekend I needed a cheapy computer for something in a hurry so I ran out to Walmart and grabbed the standard $400 laptop, forgetting all about the Windows 8 rumours I’ve heard.  Sure enough, the poor thing was infected with Windows 8 and I couldn;t make heads nor tails of it.  So I took it back to the store and claimed the OS is unusable and therefore defective and the kid working there agreed with me and gave me a refund.  :-D

Windows 8 is garbage.  Macs are toys.  These things are not really meant for people who actually use computers as tools to do their work and earn a living.  If you want a tablet or a phone, then buy a tablet or a phone and go play with it.  If you want a computer to do your work, then I guess you need to get a used one with windows 7 or XP, or be a complete tool and pay an extra $99 for Windows 7.  What a bunch of sh!t.  If they keep this up I’m going to Linux.

And another thing, Openoffice or Libreoffice is 110% better than microsoft office and its free.

• '12

Macs are not meant for people who work?  Maybe if you do software development……  But windows 8 does suck.  Macs have the highest user satisfaction rating of any computer.  I of course use a PC…

I hate that microsoft keeps changing where to find things.  Memories of using 6 other MS versions doesn’t help.

Agreed on Openoffice, I use it.

Windows sales are based on unit shipments.  If you get a pc with windows 8 and downgrade it to win7 for your corporation standards, it still counts as a windows 8 sale even if the license is NEVER activated.

• yes i believe anyone that purchases windows 8 can downgrade?
    this is the only reason the sales show a decent number

but if you look at user% it is the worst windows ever…even vista blows it out of the water and that is just sad. xp and 7 are both used nearly 3x as much as 8

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@MrMalachiCrunch:

Windows sales are based on unit shipments.  If you get a pc with windows 8 and downgrade it to win7 for your corporation standards, it still counts as a windows 8 sale even if the license is NEVER activated.

Oh brother.  I wonder if anyone at microsoft is keeping track of how many people downgrade!  I think as of the spring you had to buy the windows 7 disc to downgrade but they might have changed that since then.  It should be free obviously.

• '12

I’m sure they keep track of it, they just will never publish it……

• @variance:

Last weekend I needed a cheapy computer for something in a hurry so I ran out to Walmart and grabbed the standard $400 laptop, forgetting all about the Windows 8 rumours I’ve heard.  Sure enough, the poor thing was infected with Windows 8 and I couldn;t make heads nor tails of it.  So I took it back to the store and claimed the OS is unusable and therefore defective and the kid working there agreed with me and gave me a refund.   :-D

Windows 8 is garbage.  Macs are toys.  These things are not really meant for people who actually use computers as tools to do their work and earn a living.  If you want a tablet or a phone, then buy a tablet or a phone and go play with it.  If you want a computer to do your work, then I guess you need to get a used one with windows 7 or XP, or be a complete tool and pay an extra $99 for Windows 7.  What a bunch of sh!t.  If they keep this up I’m going to Linux.

And another thing, Openoffice or Libreoffice is 110% better than microsoft office and its free.

Use PowerShell.  It’s awesome and true to its name, it’s very powerful.

I’m studying the MCSE 2012 for Server and Win8.  There’s a lot features that kick ass but most people will never use them nor know about them.  In a Core installation for Server, you can only use PowerShell - however you can do it from any computer.

Seriously, though, the “this OS sucks because I won’t take the time to learn it” is old.  A tool is only as useful as the person wielding it.

@Uncrustable:

yes i believe anyone that purchases windows 8 can downgrade?
    this is the only reason the sales show a decent number

but if you look at user% it is the worst windows ever…even vista blows it out of the water and that is just sad. xp and 7 are both used nearly 3x as much as 8

Raw numbers, sure, but that’s not a fair comparison.  I already went over this - Win8 is on an identical pace that 7 and XP went on for sales/usage.

Also, XP users have about 6 months to replace their 12 year old OS!  XP is almost old enough to shave and drive itself…

Most people don’t because they don’t do anything than email, a few apps, and browse the internet.  Their phone is more powerful than their PC.  What’s the point of owning one if you can carry your computer around all day?  The needs of most users they don’t need much.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Sorry jermofoot, but I have to disagree.  Designers of any product, including software, have to make sure their product is not only powerful but usable in the minds of the users.  That’s why they call it software design.  Microsoft’s genuises completely ignored human factors when they misdesigned windows 8 and now no one wants it.  That’s on them; not the users.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@variance:

Sorry jermofoot, but I have to disagree.  Designers of any product, including software, have to make sure their product is not only powerful but usable in the minds of the users.  That’s why they call it software design.  Microsoft’s genuises completely ignored human factors when they misdesigned windows 8 and now no one wants it.  That’s on them; not the users.

Windows Fate.

• @variance:

Sorry jermofoot, but I have to disagree.  Designers of any product, including software, have to make sure their product is not only powerful but usable in the minds of the users.  That’s why they call it software design.  Microsoft’s genuises completely ignored human factors when they misdesigned windows 8 and now no one wants it.  That’s on them; not the users.

Ok….what are they?

It supports touch - your fingers.

It has a GUI.

Mouse and keyboard are supported.

Hell, you can voice control it if you wanted to (built-in)

Plenty of people use it, including me.  I don’t follow the argument.

Where in Win8 is it preventing you from doing “real work”, whatever that is.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m