• I have been working with a friend in Germany on some modifications. Here is where we are at.

Note: the setup will be changed latter, but this fix corrects some OOB map deficiencies.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ousks3g5o4fj49

• Customizer

Don’t want to have to install new progs to see a map; could you post an image - don’t care if its low res? Ta.

This is my latest thinking; splitting Ukraine West/East looks better; might extend Petrograd down to border Belarus.

Glasgow can only launch ships into SZ8.

Still can’t decide the best layout for Kiel-Denmark-SZ11.

The named cities are:

Victory Cities
    Capitals or limited unit placement depots
    Rail hubs (can move 2 spaces only hub to hub)

HubbaKiev.PNG

• I don’t like that map flash… You got like 50,000 versions of it and it will never be finished. You keep adding and removing stuff like every 10 minutes. I think you made a really long post on what changes you like, so let me know.

I know you like perfection, not unlike me but pragmatism must prevail at some point and the work must end at some point.

• Customizer

As long as Larry, Curly and Mo keep coming out with new rules I’ll keep modifying. I have a version of the above VCs idea that is 100% accurate to the official map, and the principle is the same:

Axis&Allies1914FullMapLarryVCfull.PNG

• Customizer

Yeah, just saw this on BGG.

Can’t see if he’s corrected Denmark & Bulgaria.

• Customizer

Denmark fixed:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1681015/axis-allies-wwi-1914

Bulgaria still wrong:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1681014/axis-allies-wwi-1914

Also Albania still wrongly alligned to Italy.

My preffered rearrangement makes Albania & Greece neutral, Albania is now in the Austrian SZ, but the correct borders make Greece viable as an Allied entrepot to the Balkans as it no longer borders Constantinople.

Balkania.PNG

• Changes according to my German friend are:

Germany:

New tt East Prussia (3 IPC) bordering Poland and Lithuania
    New tt Pomerania (2 IPC)
    Berlin (6 IPC)
    bigger Kiel, bigger Bavaria

Russia:

New tt St.Petersburg (4IPC) with Port
    New tt Lithuania (2IPC)
    New tt Tallinn (2IPC)
    Poland (2IPC)
    Moskow (3 IPC)
    Ukraine (2IPC)
    Sevastopol (2IPC)

Ottoman Empire:
    New tt Armenia (1 IPC)
    Mesopotamia (2IPC)

More powerful minor Powers:
    Belgium 3 IPC
    Romania 4 IPC
    Bulgaria 4 IPC
    Serbia 3 IPC

Switzerland: Impassable

Greece and Portugal: aligned to Britain

USA: comes in R6 with 40 IPC
    Italy: comes in R2

USW Zones: 2,3,4,7,8,15

This new map has to come along with a new Set Up including more Units for Russia, Germany and Great Britain and less Units for Austria. I also use the House Rule, that a Minor Power can only be activated by its aligned Power. (So for example France cannot activate Portugal,
    Albania and Greece for the Entente in R1)

• Customizer

Can the Uk enter Belgian Congo?

Why not central Arabia impassable (Nejd desert), with the south only as UK ally.

Why no changes to the sea zones; SZ18 is way too small. Dividing SZ20 allows Constantinople to control sea movement through the straits.

Is Petrograd now capital - I have Moscow & Petrograd as joint capitals, that is they can both build UL units, and Russia functions normally by holding either one. TheCPs only count one towards victory conditions.

Have you considered victory cities, I think they’re much easier to track than “homeland incomes”, and nicely facilitate 2 space rail movements, as well as providing limited placement areas for infantry.

• Those would be too many changes just for personal taste. When making changes you really just need to make a few of them, so as not to upset the balance.

The ideas you suggest don’t fix game issues, and are really just a list of things not 100% correct Historically, I am more interested in fixing glitches.

I will look into this:

SZ18 is way too small. Dividing SZ20 allows Constantinople to control sea movement through the straits

• Customizer

This is my latest; I’ve taken on board the Pomerania-Prussia option.

The triple-function VCs are crucial here; only the two joint-capitals are adjacent.

The extra Med SZs open up the naval war for the CPs.

Glasgow can only launch ships into SZ8.

TT names rationalised.

Note corrections to borders of Bulgaria, SWA & Finland.

Might make Mexico a VC…

Might add a naval base to Ireland (in case Scotland falls…)

Turkey gets a one-off placement of (Senussi) rebels in Kufra. The Allies cannot enter the region before the rebellion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senussi_Campaign

The Spanish minefield is activated only if Spain joins the war (i.e. it is attacked). Threafter it is treated as if an original ally of the opposing alliance.

HubbaVladB.PNG

• Awesome work, IL!!!

Some minor corrections/suggestions:

1. Bulgaria should not be activated by the Turks (they were enemies in the 2nd Balcan War just 2 years ago! Absolutely not!)
    -> Make it a German activation (historically correct) or a German OR AH one.
    -> Turks is totally wrong, almost as wrong as Moscow as the Russian capital! :wink:

2. Names
    -> Keep Prussia for the tt with Berlin
    -> Name Kiel “Northern Germany” (that is the proper term for this region “Norddeutschland”, Kiel is just a city)
    -> Name the intended Talinn tt Estonia (btw the Estonian capital was officially called Reval until 24th February 1918!)
    -> Name Sewastopol Caucasus
    -> Name St. Petersburg Karelia
    -> Name Moscow Russia
    This way all tt names are consistent in having tt names (major cities in like Moscow where you are allowed to produce in addition to capitals can be printed on the map to indicate production capability! This way Russia could produce in St. Petersburg AND Moscow, Germany in Prussia (Berlin) AND Ruhr (Essen).

3. Production
    Production capacity in Russia:(derived from statistical data)
    a) Poland was the most industrialized region in Imperial Russia; Germany conquering it early was a big blow to the Russian war effort
    -> Poland: 5 IPCs (if you think it is too much balancewise make it a 4 IPC at least!)
    b) Moscow 4 IPCs (2nd advanced region)
    c) St. Petersburg 3 IPCs
    d) Ukraine 3 IPCs (granary of Russia!)
    e) Estonia 1 IPC (each Baltic state ought to be 1 IPC)

4. Neutrals
    a) Albania hardly was a sovereign state anymore at the start of the war. RUled by a German governor who left when war broke out to serve his fatherland it was in total disarray. It should have no diplomatic tendency. 1 IPC.
    b) Greece was strictly neutral for a long period of the war because of its German friendly king. Joining the Allies should be made possible only later in the war.
    IDEA: Print a round specification beside the roundel for activation! This way the game could flow even more historically!
    -> Examples: Greece R5, Bulgaria R3, Romania R4, etc.

So, again, overall AWESOME work!!!
    (….and I surely want this map!)

• Awesome work, IL!!!

Some minor corrections/suggestions:

1. Bulgaria should not be activated by the Turks (they were enemies in the 2nd Balcan War just 2 years ago! Absolutely not!)
    -> Make it a German activation (historically correct) or a German OR AH one.
    -> Turks is totally wrong, almost as wrong as Moscow as the Russian capital! wink

Yea I know that, and Greece should not be connected to Ottoman areas. I will fix those

2. Names
    -> Keep Prussia for the tt with Berlin
    -> Name Kiel “Northern Germany” (that is the proper term for this region “Norddeutschland”, Kiel is just a city)
    -> Name the intended Talinn tt Estonia (btw the Estonian capital was officially called Reval until 24th February 1918!)
    -> Name Sewastopol Caucasus
    -> Name St. Petersburg Karelia
    -> Name Moscow Russia

I don’t want to invalidate the OOB setup with all these name changes. Only new areas get a new name.

This way all tt names are consistent in having tt names (major cities in like Moscow where you are allowed to produce in addition to capitals can be printed on the map to indicate production capability! This way Russia could produce in St. Petersburg AND Moscow, Germany in Prussia (Berlin) AND Ruhr (Essen).

3. Production
    Production capacity in Russia:(derived from statistical data)
    a) Poland was the most industrialized region in Imperial Russia; Germany conquering it early was a big blow to the Russian war effort
    -> Poland: 5 IPCs (if you think it is too much balancewise make it a 4 IPC at least!)
    b) Moscow 4 IPCs (2nd advanced region)
    c) St. Petersburg 3 IPCs
    d) Ukraine 3 IPCs (granary of Russia!)
    e) Estonia 1 IPC (each Baltic state ought to be 1 IPC)

Looking more into how does this effect Russian collapse. I don’t want to change those ratios. Perhaps some changes could be made

4. Neutrals
    a) Albania hardly was a sovereign state anymore at the start of the war. RUled by a German governor who left when war broke out to serve his fatherland it was in total disarray. It should have no diplomatic tendency. 1 IPC.
    b) Greece was strictly neutral for a long period of the war because of its German friendly king. Joining the Allies should be made possible only later in the war.
    IDEA: Print a round specification beside the roundel for activation! This way the game could flow even more historically!
    -> Examples: Greece R5, Bulgaria R3, Romania R4, etc.

Historically correct, but only minor changes. Too many changes the game balance

• http://www.mediafire.com/?6jnas3n11bgrnb4

This is Phase 3 AKA “Flashman” file. Note i don’t change OOB territory names, just add some areas with new names. Not all things were changed but alot of them are spec with Flash.

Some neutrals changed alliance
    Added Gibraltar
    etc.

• Customizer

Can’t see the map, but please don’t add Gibraltar as a separate tt. Make it a UK nb in Spain, which can only be attacked by attacking Spain itself. No shipbuilding there.

xx:

Petrograd is not in Karelia; if you need a regional name the correct term is Ingria.

Ukraine breadbasket and industrial region stats include the western part of the “Sevastopol” tt.

I agree that it is prefferable to have a consistent naming policy rather than the mix of regional and city names, borrowed from Diplomacy and anachronistic as the supply centres from that game have not been used.

“North Germany” should be Lower Saxony; for other changes see my map above.

• http://www.mediafire.com/?6jnas3n11bgrnb4

Here is a fixed version that made some changes. Note i am not interested in changing names of OOB areas. It serves no purpose except to further confuse people who set up.

The added new areas will have forces drawn from specific areas, again the goal is to fix the OOB’s glaring mistakes and also give Russia some border between Ottomans and Germany.

Added some of Flashmans ideas and kept the IPC ratio by nation intact.

• @Flashman

How did you get the idea of naming Northern Germany Lower Saxony?

Lower Saxony as a state did not exist in 1914.
    Former Kingdom of Hannover became part 0f Prussia 1866 already so in my opinion the best solution naming the tt AND include Holstein, Oldenburg and (parts of Königreich Hannover though politically Prussian) is a clear-cut summarizing region name like Norddeutschland. This method is also often used in former A&A games.

Northern or North-Western Prussia does not fit, though!

• @IL

The OOB setup/IPCs greatly favors the Allies!
    So why not give the CPs some meat (like Poland with 4 or 5 IPCs) if it correspondends with history?
    (needs some playtesting, sure)

• The OOB setup/IPCs greatly favors the Allies!
    So why not give the CPs some meat (like Poland with 4 or 5 IPCs) if it correspondends with history?
    (needs some playtesting, sure)

The tournament RULES address that issue.

The map file addresses obvious Historical points raised by others and makes corrections.

The space between Russian capital and Berlin do allow Germany to grab less IPC than before due to the new distribution, but also makes it harder to reinforce them due to the capital’s location. That means a tradeoff.

I don’t make a map to address balance, rules are used to correct that.

• Customizer

Lower Saxony I use as a general regional name; it doesn’t have to correspond to an exact state.

Its much closer than, for example, calling the whole of Northern England and southern Scotland “Yorkshire”.

North Germany does not fit, at a pinch North-West Germany, but LS sounds less arbritrary.

I should also have made “Tyrolia” into Upper Austria, but it doesn’t fit…

“Wales” should be Western Britain.

@xxstefanx:

@Flashman

How did you get the idea of naming Northern Germany Lower Saxony?

Lower Saxony as a state did not exist in 1914.
    Former Kingdom of Hannover became part 0f Prussia 1866 already so in my opinion the best solution naming the tt AND include Holstein, Oldenburg and (parts of K�nigreich Hannover though politically Prussian) is a clear-cut summarizing region name like Norddeutschland. This method is also often used in former A&A games.

Northern or North-Western Prussia does not fit, though!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m