Poll: Real-time or turn based?

• Top of the morning, all

I’ve been a big fan of strategy gaming ever since I received my first PC, as I mostly enjoy games that require a lot of thinking, deduction, and logic. At first I was all about RTS (Real Time Strategy) games. I cut my teeth on such games as Warcraft, Starcraft, Age of Empires, and so on. Later, I played Empire Earth so much that I developed a repetitive stress disorder in my mouse hand. Lately, and by that I mean in the last year, however, I’ve moved more and more towards turn-based strategy games. I am currently playing Silent Storm (which is great), Hearts of Iron (which is semi-real time, and also extremely hard), the occassional game of Risk (I’m remembering why I came to hate that bloody game), and, of course Axis & Allies. I’ve become frustrated with RTS games because of the computer’s ability to do fine manipulations of his troops and resource in many places at the same time when the human cannot, the dozens of hotkeys one usually has to memorize in order to be extremely efficient, and the fact that in my experience most games involve little strategy and are more about who can press buttons and crank out troops more quickly. I’m simply finding that in turn-based games there is more time for genuine strategic planning and execution, and thus a more enjoyably cerebral gaming experience.

So my poll is this: Which do you prefer? Real-time, turn-based, or no preference so long as you can conquer the weak? Addition posts with comments, opinions, favorite games, and silly stories encouraged.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Geoff

• Morning Geoff. Personally, I’m a fan of MMORPGS, which is really neither of your choices. =p

My favorite game of all time would be Starcraft.

I’m not sure if it’s how the games are made now, or if i’m just getting older and slower, but I agree RTS’s seem to be getting faster and more complicated. So I guess I’m leaning towards turn-based at this point, as in HOMM, which is another favorite. I need time to think!

~cheers

• 2007 AAR League

I don’t really mind. I just like to play any strategy game :D.

You said include silly stories so here goes.

Once when playing Star Trek: Armada online; I was building up my fleet to a pretty large level and slowly advancing into the central base of the Borg (who were right beside my base). At the time I was not thinking about the other player who I did not know the location of because I was concentrating hard on the Borg. Suddenly, in the corner of the screen I see a gigantic wave of red rushing towards my base. I clicked on my map where the blob was located and to my horror, were well over a hundred Klingon battleships. My entire base was destroyed in probably under a minute. The only ship of mine that survived was one of my Warbirds. I then surrendered after I got tired :D.

• It really depends for me. I suppose i like a game with a combination, but i have wasted billions of hours on both RTS (Age of Empires, StarWarsGallactic Battlegrounds) as well as turn-based (Civ’s I, II, and III, A&A, Risk, etc.).

also i’ve moved this to “other games”

• Either one works for me, but I tend to actually be able to win at turn-based games.

• For computer games I definitely prefer Real Time, because it’s alot more realistic and fun in my opinion. My favorite RTS of all time would have to be Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. Totally awesome games. The only turn based games I play on the computer are Robert E Lee: Civil War General, Risk 2, and Axis and Allies: Iron Blitz. All my other strategy games are Real Time, such as EDMW, StarCraft, Homeworld, Rise of Nations, AOE 1 and 2 plus Expansions, and Empire Earth. My favorite Genre of games is RTS, followed by FPS. I don’t think there’s anything like a good RTS, because it’s a thinking man’s game.

I do hate the fact, however, that the computer is capable of managing everything at once, while I can only do one thing at a time! That just makes it more of a challenge, though. :)

What I hate the most is when the computer cheats, such as unlimited money(AOE) or automatically knowing where you are without exploring(Starcraft).

It’s all good, though. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m