Larry Harris 1914 Tournament Rules ( "potential rules" using his language)

• '14

What was the railroad gauge like between Germany and Austria-Hungary? I can see some sort of restriction in place for Africa.

• Customizer

If we interpret the 2 space move as rail movement (be very careful if you do…) then indeed it should be within Europe and Ottoman home tt only.

• It should at least be restricted to “non-combat movement” - moving two spaces into combat, even if it’s a previously contested space, seems a bit excessive for World War I.

Also, as I mentioned in my post on our game using Tournament Rules, the power in question should get to check at the end of the turn, rather than the beginning, to determine if that country is out of the game.  Otherwise there are all sorts of ridiculous moves made with no goal other than to push a country into collapse.

• A unit may move two land spaces through friendly territory.

How long must a territory be held to be treated as friendly?

Example

AH takes Ukraine. Russia does not counter attack. Can Germany rush through Ukraine on it’s turn and attack Moscow, or must the territory be held until the end of AH’s turn next round before it is friendly?

'Jed

• Official Q&A

The territory must be friendly at the beginning of your turn.  However, units may only move one space when entering a hostile territory, so unless Moscow was already contested at the beginning of Germany’s turn, German units may not move two spaces to get to it.

• Does contested territories also count towards economic victory? In the first paragraph it says captured territories. But in the example, two spaces contested by Germany is counted into the total CP victory points of 21.

If contested territories count, powers could just throw forces into many battles in the last couple of turns just to get spaces contested, instead of trying hard to really capture territories. Might give some strange endgame moves.

• Official Q&A

Contested territories count.

• Thank you. Then we’re set to try the Tournament Rules. Looking forward to it  :-)

• Regarding these rules, can i make a territory contested by moving adjacent troops into it and also adding troops via the 2 territory movement rule or must the final territory be contested already at the beginning of my turn?

• Official Q&A

The territory must not have been hostile or neutral at the beginning of the turn in order for units to move two spaces into it.

• Customizer

France invades Spain. Part of the invasion force is amphibiously assaulting with troops from north Africa.

At the same time a transport drops a French infantry off in Portugal to activate it.

Can a French fighter based in Bordeaux fly over Spain to land in Portugal, due to the amphibious assault on Spain making it in effect hostile tt?

• Official Q&A

No.

• Customizer

So an amphibious assault can retroactivate a minefield, but not advance the activation of a neutral.
    Or does a naval battle have to be involved?

• Official Q&A

It makes no difference if there’s a sea battle.

• Customizer

@Krieghund:

The territory must not have been hostile or neutral at the beginning of the turn in order for units to move two spaces into it.

Does this apply to fighters in the same way; i.e. we ignore the separate fighter movement rules from OOB?

• Official Q&A

No.  Fighters are not land units.

• "Remove the following units from the OOB setup
    British infantry in Rhodesia and British East Africa,
    French infantry in French West Africa
    French battleship and transport SZ15
    German infantry in Togoland and Kamerun
    Italian infantry in Somaliland

Add the following units to the setup:
    Russia- 3 infantry in Sevastopol, 3 infantry to Livonia
    France- Cruiser SZ15
    Britain- Cruiser SZ 9"

What was the reasoning behind these changes?

• Official Q&A

With the rules changes, the setup needed to be adjusted for balance.

• @Krieghund:

With the rules changes, the setup needed to be adjusted for balance.

The changes for Europe and the Med are great but I dont get it why Africa has to be so empty now.

Its a dead place and even more useless space when I think of the small tts in Western Europe.

Dont get me wrong Krieghund you did excellent work with the mechanics, the Setup and its still the best game of all A&As in my eyes  :wink:

• Customizer

Just started a game using these rules. More options for the CPs early on, but getting the 2-space movement right is tricky  - had to restart when we realised we’d been moving some units 2 spaces into hostile tt.

Italy was in economic collapse before it had a turn!

Naval retreats is an improvement, but I’d prefer one round of naval combat only. This would have left the RN with the chance to repair its crippled BB and save the transport, as it is they’ll still have to build a new fleet off Wales every time. Germany inflicting a round of damage then retreating behind its own minefield seems more realistic than a fight to the death. Like air combat, ships had only limited fuel; it seems a lot neater to make all combat one round only and speed up the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m