Larry Harris 1914 Tournament Rules ( "potential rules" using his language)

• F-man’s point is that these rules encourage the CPs to take X amount of Allied territories, then dig in and defend those territories until time is called. Thus, any incentive for the CPs to press on is gone, as victory is achieved through holding more of your enemy’s territories than he has of yours.

@Gargantua:

@Flashman:

It not a house rule - its a suggestion for making the Potential Tournament Rules work effectively, which the Economic Victory conditions clearly don’t, since they’re in effect a default Central Powers win.
    It takes a long time for the Allies to occupy more CP homelands than they have lost of their own even when the Allies are doing well in a long game. The CPs have to be encouraged to keep attacking somehow.

The ‘encouragement’ to keep attacking is called ‘working to win the game’.

• Customizer

Exactly: it reverses the optimum strategy for both sides.

After an initial land grab, the Central powers can afford to be essentially defensive, especially on the western front. The “long game” need to eventually take Paris and Rome can be forgotten.

The Allies in contrast can no longer afford to wait before driving into enemy territory; they have to grab something of the Austrian and German homelands, something which you only tend to see late on in games with no time limit.

This all makes for a very different game, which may not be a bad thing; but I believe a more balanced solution for short game victory conditions would involve specific targets for the CPs after any given round, with victory cities being the simplest measure of progress.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

So in other words… it kind of plays out like WWI.

How interesting…

• Haven’t been on this site in a little bit, I was checking to see if 1914 was fixed yet, clearly it is still broken, what a shame

• I like the rules except for the part that takes all the units out of Africa.  Part of the fun of the game is that it`s a world war, not just a European one.  Sure, the African part tends to end quickly, but it distracts forces from other objectives and that has an effect on the game.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Each side should be able to raise an infantry or two at strategic locations in Africa.

• Question on capturing capitals:

In the OOB rules, if the capital falls, the IPCs are surrendered immediately but the remaining troops can fight on forever, hoping to their can liberate their homeland.

The tournament rules introduces economic and political collapse.  Does this supersede the taking a capital rules?

If the US takes Constantinople by sea, the loss value of homeland territory does not trigger EC or PC.  Does USA get the Ottoman’s IPCs right now, or only after triggering PC?

• Official Q&A

If you manage to capture a capital without triggering a collapse, the normal rules apply.

• Used these rules over the weekend I like them. The Centrals went after Russia and they had an almost impossible job of stopping them. While doing this they could easily keep the Allies at bay in the West. I belive Russia could add 3inf and maybe an artillery in Russia. Just my thoughts. Other than that these rules are superior to OOB. I am glad Larry has updated them.

• I don’t see how Central powers have a chance. In the games I’ve played against myself, and others, the allies are slightly winning even before America gets into the war. I feel like the Ottomans got the shaft with Russia getting 3 more units that could hit them, so before they even go UK and Russia take 2 of their territories and really threaten them right away. This would be fine if Austria could handle Russia alone but it can’t. Russia and Austria are very equal in terms of overall strength, but the problem is that Austria has Italy to worry about. Germany can’t give too much help to Austria against Russia or else Paris won’t even be really threatened and then when U.S. comes into the war they will never take it. I might be doing something totally wrong, so please help me understand how this is balanced….

• the 2 movement rule is way way better than OOB. diggin it. :mrgreen:

• Question regarding the 2-space move.  Austria-Hungary controls and has troops in both Venice and Piedmont.  France has troops in Marseilles.  Since you cannot move 2 spaces into an enemy-held area, normally the troops in Venice could not move into French-occupied Marseilles in one move.  However…if the AH force in Piedmont moves into Marseilles first, thus making it a contested space, can the AH force in Venice then move two spaces into Marseilles during that same move phase?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, tomcat4940!

No, it doesn’t work that way.  All movement is considered to be simultaneous within the same phase.

• Played yesterday with the rules……and after some bad dices (terribles) and bad interpretations…bad moves too…and a bad british player…CP’s won hard…

Some toughts…

• The 2 movements rules should only be available in the homeland territories not friendly…russia is getting hard time to protect every territories with austria and germany that can move with each others territories…Russia is always getting collapse…but overall its speeding the game…thats a goooooood thing

• U.S.A should get to war in turn 3 because they cant move at all when being neutral

• Economic collapse should be at the end of the turn like political…to ensure russia and ottomans can keep going for some turns

thats it…when those tournament rules will be officials?..looking for another game but we decide that we will wait for a official set of rules

• Can a land unit move two if their second movement would end in a contested territory?

• Official Q&A

Yes.

• I concur with Napoleon’s observations and suggestions above–especially with the idea of limiting 2 space movement in some further manner. Barring allied territories seems extreme, but perhaps, at the very least, no 2-space movements by ground forces in territories that originally belonged to enemy major or minor powers, including moving into these territories–one move in, and no second move.  It makes sense that the pace of advance slows down in enemy territory as it is being pacified and brought slowly under control. This alone would help the allies considerably, and I do feel that they need help given the massive number of units that both Germany and Austria-Hungary start with and can mobilize on the first turn, which is nearly all their available units–must be close to 120 units that they can throw against France, Russia, and Italy on round one alone. This being said, we don’t play with the time limit, just the honor system whereby when it’s obvious that one side has an unbeatable advantage then the other side concedes–so, we’re still thinking in terms of the eventual conquest of capital cities. These new rules help the game a lot, just seem to need more tweaking. Thanks, y’all!

• Official Q&A

@Cyf_Nwyl:

I do feel that they need help given the massive number of units that both Germany and Austria-Hungary start with and can mobilize on the first turn, which is nearly all their available units–must be close to 120 units that they can throw against France, Russia, and Italy on round one alone.

I think you may be playing incorrectly.  A unit can only move one space into an enemy-controlled territory.  In other words, in order to move by land into an enemy-controlled territory, a unit must already be adjacent to it at the beginning of the turn.

• '14

What was the railroad gauge like between Germany and Austria-Hungary? I can see some sort of restriction in place for Africa.

• Customizer

If we interpret the 2 space move as rail movement (be very careful if you do…) then indeed it should be within Europe and Ottoman home tt only.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m