Larry Harris 1914 Tournament Rules ( "potential rules" using his language)

• Just time saving Chacamool.

• Can units move two to Attack, if the first territory is friendly?

• Official Q&A

Land units can move two spaces and attack only if the attacked territory was already contested at the beginning of the turn.  If the territory was hostile or neutral at the beginning of the turn, they may only move one space to enter it and attack.

• Thank you Krieg. Seemed too much of an advantage.
    Played these TR for the first time (and messed up). Was fun anyway.

• TripleA

So the CP won every tournament right? Anyone do the France first all in? Instead of easy mode Italy first or the usual Russia first snooze fest?

What is the bid like for the allies?

• Oh, so it that OOB is Allies favored and PTR is Central favored?

• TripleA

It has always been a CP favored game.

• TripleA

Just wondering if any experienced CP players showed off and went France first in a live tournament. I am actually really upset at axis and allies lately, since Anniversary the axis have been stacked hard and it is has been too easy to crush opponents out of box. I am racially German and Japanese… it is no fun having it so easy, does not matter if it is global, 1942 2nd edition, 1914 or what… the allies suck.

I miss when the allies were fun to play and you could sit down and have no idea who is going to win this thing.  In global people used to tell me the allies win blah blah blah, then I put out my playbook and the allies now get 21-30 bids on a regular.  1942 2nd edition is just a joke, no excuse for that print. 1914 is more like global, new comers sit down and the CPs get rolled… then someone figures out how to crush each capital with proper movements and buys… and the game becomes a matter of which guy sitting at the table do you want to make sad.

• @Cow:

It has always been a CP favored game.

Really? Other people in this thread have said that Allies are favored…

• TripleA

They new. CP generally speaking take out one capital early on within the first 5 rounds. It usually goes Russia first. Seen Italy first then Russia.  If you play revolution rules the Italy first thing is preferred among more conservative players. The g5 France is the hyper aggressive play, if you are crazy enough you can take Italy with it… you put Germany or AH at risk to Russia, but you usually come out on top because Russia is kind of far away.

• Is there a thread about the French first attack? I remember seeing it, but can’t find it now…

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Is there a thread about the French first attack? I remember seeing it, but can’t find it now…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33279.0

I think that’s the thread you’re thinking of. Funnily enough, Cow was with the “France first is impossible” camp in it.

• TripleA

I had to nut up and just do it.

• @Krieghund:

Land units can move two spaces and attack only if the attacked territory was already contested at the beginning of the turn.  If the territory was hostile or neutral at the beginning of the turn, they may only move one space to enter it and attack.

Are the tournament rules on the first page of this thread still current? I’m asking becuase it seems to read something different from what is being said here…

Want to try this game (again) soon, but as yet I’m undecided about whether to use the official rules or the tournament rules.

Other than the fact than the official rules slowing down play (movement value of just 1 for land units), is there any reason why I shouldn’t use them? I have to admit I do like the rules for political and economic collapse from the tournament rules! I do believe the move 1 is defensible; most movement did occur, on this scale, as far as I know on foot…

• Official Q&A

The current rules can be found here.

• '18 '17 '16

I have to be honest I’m not a big fan of the political/economic collapse rule. I play with little army men so I can kill other little army men. If you want to play something else why not go to your sister’s room and play Monopoly with her and her friends. She has some nice friends and Monopoly is a fine game I’m sure it will be fun.

So on the second turn Jim’s out of the game because he has suffered political collapse due to an Ottoman first strategy employed by the allies. He’s still got lots of little army men to play with but instead he has to remove them and leave the game. Who here thinks that Jim is going to volunteer to serve us all drinks and appies and be the banker for the rest of the night? More likely he is going to play Monopoly in the other room.

• I played with these rules last week and I thought it was a lot of fun. I especially liked the political and economic collapse mechanics. Much more interesting than the traditional rules for knocking out a power, and WAY better than those Russian Revolution rules…

The Central Powers won. Italy was taken out basically right away. Russia collapsed not long after that. There was a lot of back and forth in the middle east as Germany came to the Ottomans aid as soon as Russia fell. The game ended with France collapsing on turn 12.

Despite an exciting game, I think we played incorrectly…  We found the movement rules a little vague, so we made a decision early on to play so that land units could move two spaces and only had to stop if they entered a contested territory or a territory controlled by another power. I think this really accelerated the Italian collapse and saved Ottomans, ultimately leading to a fairly decisive CP victory.

My question is, can armies only move one space if they are moving into an enemy territory? Therefore, would it be an illegal move for an Austrian army in Vienna (along with armies from Tyrolia and Trieste) to attack Venice on turn 1?

Thanks guys!

• Official Q&A

Yes, that’s correct.  Land units may move only one space when moving into an enemy or neutral territory.

• Thanks for the clarification Krieghund.

Does the same go for a contested territory?

I’m looking forward to trying these rules out again.

• '18 '17 '16

No. You can move 2 into a contested territory. You must end your movement in a contested territory. You can only move one space out of a contested territory.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m