Larry Harris 1914 Tournament Rules ( "potential rules" using his language)

• TripleA

Sounds legit.

• TripleA

This game has issues because there are just too many units on the board to start the game with. It really makes no sense.

• TripleA

I do not understand how Germany got to Africa to begin with, there is no transport for the guy…. so somewhere in history some Germans walked to Africa. @_@

I demand a starting transport for Germany somewhere on the map. It makes sense.

If there were less starting units on the board… players would not attack neutrals whenever they felt like it, there would be actual thought to it.

• I kind of like the flavor of being able to attack neutrals, but I don’t know if I agree with Switzerland being worth 1…

• LOL. What isn’t shown in this version is that Germany had many cruisers outside of the Baltic when WW1 began. If they do another WW1 game I hope they make Africa even smaller and expand the western front. It is a joke right now, IMO.

• TripleA

Why is Africa even a part of this game. It is so troll.  Like how the hell do the axis even get there?!?!? lol.

You do not see Tsingtao on the freaking map. This is already a Europe World War, just make it Europe. Cut Canada and America out too just have the Americans spawn with 2 infantry on a transport with a destroyer every round on a sea mine zone. Bam problem solved. Now German naval might be worthwhile if you can constantly sink 1 destroyer, hey a naval strategy! OMG. UNBELIEVABLE.

Woodrow Wilson would not change his buy. He signed the federal reserve. Bad President is bad.

• TripleA

Make it like Munchkin. “Wilson was bad, this is what you get and it never changes, place 1 transport loaded with 2 infantry and 1 destroyer in sz ___ at the end of each USA turn. Remove unloaded transports from the board at this time, because Wilson sells out.”

Remove africa from the board.

Now you have space for a European theater.  UNBELIEVABLE. You can also Munchkin the Russia rules. “Russia trolled world war 1, you have the strongest army of the allies and you can back out anytime to start a revolution, ____ revolution rules.”

• TripleA

I guess we have to use the board as it is instead of hoping for another one to be released.

I just want way less units on the board. If you are going to stick to giant stacks fine… Just do not be surprised when all you see are ___ all ins coming out of the central powers.

• Hello Krieghund,
    Have land units to stop when they enter an uncontrolled territory?

• Official Q&A

Yes.

• After buying this game I did some play testing on my own (with me controlling all the powers, and making the best moves I could each turn) using these Tournament rules. I find they allow the game to run a lot smoother and make it quicker and more fun to play.

A question that came to mind for me… if the Ottomans capture India and later move their units elseware, then France comes in and recaptures it, is it returned to Britain or kept by France? In either case, would Britain be allowed to resume building units there again?

Anyway after a more thorough reading of the rules I discovered that I had been playing it wrong. I was allowing units two territories away to attack hostile and neutral nations, so unsurprisingly I was running into problems with the Central Powers bum rushing Italy/Russia and crushing them fairly quickly.

I was also using the house rule that Switzerland is Impassible, since otherwise it just gets taken every game to collapse Italy first turn.

Great Game though… I really like it using these rules! Seems much more interesting then WW2 because of how its a team game and allows for politics with neutral nations. I can imagine the players of both teams going into separate rooms to plan their strategies.

• Official Q&A

@Caustizer:

A question that came to mind for me… if the Ottomans capture India and later move their units elseware, then France comes in and recaptures it, is it returned to Britain or kept by France?

It’s returned to Britain, assuming London isn’t held by the Central Powers.  If London is held by the Central Powers, France takes control (but can’t mobilize units there) until London is liberated.

@Caustizer:

In either case, would Britain be allowed to resume building units there again?

Britain can always build land units and fighters in India as long as neither India nor London are controlled by the Central Powers.

@Caustizer:

Great Game though… I really like it using these rules!

We’re glad you like it!

• Haven’t played this game in a while, but I think one change really needs to be made to the Tournament Rules. I don’t think you should be able to move 2 into a contested territory. This adds so much more risk to the game. If you aren’t playing LL you can get screwed by making a good move, but because your opponent can move two moves into a contested territory your 30 units that attacked his 10 units don’t kill everything and now he sends his 50 units that are two moves away and destroys you.

• @theROCmonster:

Haven’t played this game in a while, but I think one change really needs to be made to the Tournament Rules. I don’t think you should be able to move 2 into a contested territory. This adds so much more risk to the game. If you aren’t playing LL you can get screwed by making a good move, but because your opponent can move two moves into a contested territory your 30 units that attacked his 10 units don’t kill everything and now he sends his 50 units that are two moves away and destroys you.

That is called a counterattack and was significant for ww1.

Moving 2 tts into a contested tt that contains your powers units at the beginning of your turn to reinforce them is reasonable. The trenches are already prepared to be filled up, so it should be easier to get there instead of a hostile zone.

• Perhaps you should be able to move them in there, but can’t use them in the combat if there is one.

• @oztea:

Perhaps you should be able to move them in there, but can’t use them in the combat if there is one.

That would be interesting. I understand that there are counterattacks. Counterattacks from an adjacent zone is fair, but being able to move 2 to attack is just random with the way the rules are now. You can literally loose a game because you don’t kill something that you should easily have.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '11 '10

Can artillery or armor move alone and meet infantry 2 terr. away?

Example:
    Germany has 2 inf and 2 art in controlled Moscow. Germany moves 2 inf to Karelia and the 2 art back to Poland where they meet with infantry from Berlin so in effect moving without infantry in Belarus?

• Official Q&A

Yes.  They don’t have to move with infantry - they just have to end up with at least one at the end of movement (unless they’re on a transport).

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '11 '10

thx. i owe my opponent an apology then…

• Just played my first game with Potential Tournament Rules (or are they Official Tournament Rules by now?).
    First comment: The Board is a really excellent design. With the new land and sea movement rules, new opportunities arise, making for a better game. I still think this game works best with a Switzerland that is impassable.
    Second comment: The game moved at a quicker pace, and even though we didn’t have to perform under a time standard (we had an entire weekend), the quicker pace made for a better game.
    Thirdly, the economic victory criteria equalizes this game’s built-in Allied advantage, so much that I think the PTR make it a CP advantage.
    Russia suffered political collapse in Round 4, and that was with tactical mistakes by the Central Powers. Italy went into political collapse in Round 10.
    Strategy has to change to Tournament rules, obviously, and after only one game played this way, we have more to learn.
    Overall rating for PTR is A+.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m