• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Do a google search for: USA to Arm Al-Qaeda in Syria. and you’ll find a dozen articles about this.

“Sen. Corker said one main fear is that US-supplied arms will end up in the hands of opposition fighters who are anti-Assad but also anti-American, such as the al-Qaeda aligned al-Nusra Front.”

Without blaming anyone, or pointing fingers, I just want everyone to be alerted of this fact for historical/factual/observatory reasons. Not to start any political debates;

What a dumb move. Have the people of earth learned nothing?

Later in life I may say “I told you so”.

• The CIA and State Department support Islamic terrorists to counter Iranian, Russian, and Chinese influence in the Middle East and Central Asia, while at the same time the US military fights a “War on Terror” in which it is supposedly fighting against Islamic terrorism. CIA/State Department have been supporting international Islamic Ts for more than 40 years.

as a matter of historical(not political) information search Operation Gladio and Sibel Edmonds for more information on why the US foreign policy is hypocritical in this way.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

This is really, REALLY borderline.  Just a friendly warning.  ATM, I am going to consider this “current events” and “news” just try to keep it in that bailiwick, please.

• '12

Garg, you can do a google search on just about anything and get a hit.

If you google aliens impregnated Richard Nixon you get over a 1/4 million hits.  Of course if you put it in quotes for the exact phrase you get no hits.

In WWII, do you think any of the weapons sent to covert agents found there way to the Germany military?  Since that possibility could not be reduced to zero, do you think the logical conclusion was to then offer zero support to covert operations in case the bad guy gets some of your goodies?

I think NATO did the right thing in Libya.  Do I think there was zero chance of support falling into the wrong hands, of course not.  Was the risk worth it?  I think so.

So, if one wants to help anti-Assad forces one will take the risk that some of that support may fall into the wrong hands, I am sure some of it will.  Do you offer zero support because a rifle might end up in the hands of Al-Qaeda?  Yeah, I don’t think flooding the area with stinger missiles is the thing to do either.

Garg, if the current US president is not familiar with the concept of blow-back then god help us all!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

My understanding of the situation was that they were outright arming Al-Qaeda.

Not “risking the chance” Al-Qaeda might end up with the arms.

I’ll do more research.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Garg, you can do a google search on just about anything and get a hit.

If you google aliens impregnated Richard Nixon you get over a 1/4 million hits.  Of course if you put it in quotes for the exact phrase you get no hits.

In WWII, do you think any of the weapons sent to covert agents found there way to the Germany military?  Since that possibility could not be reduced to zero, do you think the logical conclusion was to then offer zero support to covert operations in case the bad guy gets some of your goodies?

I think NATO did the right thing in Libya.  Do I think there was zero chance of support falling into the wrong hands, of course not.  Was the risk worth it?  I think so.

So, if one wants to help anti-Assad forces one will take the risk that some of that support may fall into the wrong hands, I am sure some of it will.  Do you offer zero support because a rifle might end up in the hands of Al-Qaeda?  Yeah, I don’t think flooding the area with stinger missiles is the thing to do either.

Garg, if the current US president is not familiar with the concept of blow-back then god help us all!

There is history here, though.  The Taliban was essentially trained & funded by the CIA.  Of course at the time they were devoid of precognition, so didn’t think it would come back to bite them in the ass.  Iraq is similar but not exactly the same, as well as Noriega.

But either way, what Garg quotes is a Tennessee Senator fearing that Al-Qaeda will end up with the support given to Assad opposition groups (which apparently some oppose, probably for their own power).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m