The question was raised about where I have been

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Linkon:

Cmdr ,

Sad to see you leaving the Land on Lincoln ,

He set many slaves free, yet the current leadership forgot that good deed. They now seem bent on enslaving anybody halfway productive here with higher taxes and regulations.

My wife and I are also praying and seeking for a quiet exit anywhere better. 
    She favors CA (not me) and FL, but I prefer TX.

My mom lives in TN, but they do charge an non Wage state Income tax there.Â

**Where ever you move  , keep in mind that any governor and with a state revenue surplus, will soon draw in productive new residents from all over. **

That said… I agree with your other comments Linkon! (Bolded).

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gargantua:

Lincoln was a tyrant, a hypocrite, and a self serving power monger.

Good Riddance.

I feel much the same about Lincoln.  Before he was president, when the United States made a declaration to the world, it was in the form of “The States stand united in…”  and after Lincoln, addresses to the world are more in the form of “The United States is.”

In case you don’t catch the subtlety there, it’s a matter of 50 States standing together vs 1 Federal Government declaring.

ATM, as I said, I’m looking at Indianapolis.  Getting yelled at that my poor car is going to get taxed to death (2013 Prius V 5 Series, for those that wonder) but I retort that they would have to charge me $7,600 a year in extra taxes to equal the tax SAVINGS I get for not owning realestate in this accursed state.  Not to mention, our property values went DOWN yet our property taxes went UP.  Pretty sure Detroit started off the same way, hence why I think Chicago is going the way of Detroit.

Eh…whatever, I don’t want to get into politics.  Just looking for a new place to live.

• @Gargantua:

Lincoln was a tyrant, a hypocrite, and a self serving power monger.

Good Riddance.

One of your best trolls yet.  I almost fell for it.

• I agree with Garg, Lincoln was probably the best president after Teddy of course.

• @Imperious:

I agree with Garg, Lincoln was probably the best president after Teddy of course.

I’m surprised more people don’t say William Henry Harrison.

Oh, I can agree with William Henry Harrison.  What was his term, 3 weeks?  Not even really a good chance to get a nice sex scandal going!

Best:  Thomas Jefferson (basing this on my US History 1 and US History 2 classes, since I didn’t your history in public school.)
    Next:  James Madison (saved the portrait of George Washington while the British burned Washington D.C. down.)

The rest, in my mind, are worthless.  I could hear an argument for Reagan, but, was he president, or was he playing the role of president?  He strikes me more as playing the role of the ideal president, talking to the people, listening to the people, but if you compare him to any other president that essentially tells the people to shut up and go away now that he’s in office, I’d say he wasn’t really president so much as actor playing president.

• Polk was a great President.
    He annexed Texas.
    He also elected not to run twice. Not many have walked away happy after one term: power corrupts.

Perhaps.  Texas was a sovereign nation that choose to join the union, didn’t it?  So at least Polk would have done this without military force, which is a pretty good feat!

• America has acquired territory without fighting, but I think most wanted Texas and were happy for war with Mexico.
    Unlike we friendly pasta munching Italians, Americans do like a scrap.
    Texas was worth it too: what a state!

Yes, and Thomas Jefferson bought enough land to double the size of the United States and paid off the loan within his term, I believe.  Someone purchased Alaska from Russia too, wow was that a good buy!  Gold, Oil, Pollock (fish for fish sticks), and what beautiful views!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m