Do people enjoy it? If so, what shows? I’ve watched quite a bit of QI and Mock the Week, although that show drastically lost a lot of clout after Frankie Boyle left. I don’t think I enjoy their dramas. Even Downton Abbey (yes, I watched that show, yes, it was quality production, no, you cannot have my man card) seemed to eventually get too formulaic in dialogue for my tastes, although, I don’t know if I could compare it to something in the states or Canada.

GG

• Customizer

The Golden Age was the 70s and 80s.

Since then the major channels have increasingly relied on soaps to get high ratings, to the detriment of everything else.

Even Downton is just a posh soap.

You should see the BBC’s Sherlock, though.

@Flashman:

The Golden Age was the 70s and 80s.

Since then the major channels have increasingly relied on soaps to get high ratings, to the detriment of everything else.

Even Downton is just a posh soap.

I have seen a little bit of Sherlock. I think my earliest memories of BBC was Jeeves and Wooster and Peroit, although I forget if either of those went into the 80’s or were just from the 90’s.

Totally agree, Downton is big time soapy. Still like the production. Guess the idea of British history being woven in intrigues me. I actually gave up when they started killing people off for no apparent plot quality.

GG

• Gordon Ramsey Boiling Point
    Kitchen Nightmares
    Allo, Allo
    And any war based comedy

• @Flashman:

“Sherlock” is awesome. Their riff on “A Scandal in Bohemia” is a must see.

• Sherlock, Doctor Who, and one of my favorites of all time, Red Dwarf.  “Smoke me a kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast!”

• I agree with Flashman that the 70s and 80s were the best years, especially for comedy. Dad’s Army and Fawlty Towers are the best ever in my opinion.
    Of late I would say Sherlock, Upstairs and Downstairs and Life on Mars(music makes it for me).Waking the Dead I have liked(do often end abruptly). I have of always loved Rowan Atkinson, so the Black Adder series has a special place in my (history) heart.

• Customizer

Some more from my DVDs:

I, Claudius
    The Prisoner
    Monty Python’s Flying Circus
    World at War

The League of Gentlemen is about the only recent comedy I’ve any time for

Also liked Jekyll, from Dr Who & Sherlock writer Stephen Moffat.

There was also a computer hacking drama from the 80s called The Consultant starring Hywel Bennett and Pamela Salem’s breasts, but I’d probably be too un-PC for today’s viewers, and you can’t find it on DVD.

@Flashman:

Also liked Jekyll, from Dr Who & Sherlock writer Stephen Moffat.

This one sounds interesting to me! Perhaps I’m connecting it with the famous short story and it isn’t…?

GG

• Customizer

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m