• We have a little group of around 4 players that are playing this game. The Axis side Always looses and we want to try the game with a small axis bid.

Lets assume it will be 6 or 7. Which unit(s) should i buy from this bid?

In which territory or Seazone would you place them on the European side and where on the Pacific side?

• Can i be axis in your game :)

• To answer your question, you need to know what the Axis strategy will be and what the common Allied strategies are in your play group.

Most people bid to play the Allies- i.e. extra units for the Allies because the Axis have a disproportionate number of victories.

In this, most bids I’ve seen are in Africa/Mediterranean/Mid East to boost the UK against Italy.

If your play group is experiencing a large number of Allied victories, then you’d probably want to bid units for Italy (probably Inf/Art in north Africa or a submarine in the med).  This is because a small number of units in the Mediterranean theater have a larger impact than for Germany and Japan, at least early in the game.

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’m curious, are the Axis players following strategies similar to Cow’s in this thread?

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26960.0

What attack strategies have you tried as Axis in your group?
    1.  G1 Barbarossa?
    2.  J1 DOW everyone per Cow’s theories
    3.  Faking a Sea Lion opening and then going after Russia G3?
    4.  G4/J4 DoWs to maximize Italy
    5.  J3 India Crush
    6.  G3/4 Sea Lion

• We have tried the J1 + G2 attack from Cow’s tread.

we have tried a G3 Sealion and a J2 + G3.

Around turn 4 or 5 the Allies are winning.

• TripleA

Bad luck opening? What are the allies doing?

It is a pretty balanced game, slightly favoring allies. Does not mean impossible for allies to win. From what I see, you played two games. That is fine.

Usually axis start making roughly the same income as the allies around turn 6-7.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30447.960

Granted you will lose a few more air units compared to this game, but there is a good overall mixture of good play.
    ~
    Trick to playing axis is knowing when to forget defense and just keep putting all your stuff toward Russia. When to buy a mix of defense and offense.

• '12

@Cow:

Bad luck opening? What are the allies doing?

It is a pretty balanced game, slightly favoring allies. Does not mean impossible for allies to win. From what I see, you played two games. That is fine.

Usually axis start making roughly the same income as the allies around turn 6-7.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30447.960

Granted you will lose a few more air units compared to this game, but there is a good overall mixture of good play.
    ~
    Trick to playing axis is knowing when to forget defense and just keep putting all your stuff toward Russia. When to buy a mix of defense and offense.

cow will you PLEASE play me a league game?  it’s so much better to show people what to do than to tell them….  professor cow.  :wink:

• TripleA

Sorry, but I am not interested in the league ladder. I do not have time or interest in playing 50 games, which is the pace some players will reach.

• '12

you don’t have to play 50 games… lol  that’s a silly excuse.

• play as allies with someone on here as axis via play by e-mail

• TripleA

Well it is possible to win as the allies with no bid. Just much harder.

• TripleA

Plus as long as you got to attack Russia with Germany and India with Japan… you really did not go wrong.

• @Cow:

Plus as long as you got to attack Russia with Germany and India with Japan… you really did not go wrong.

You could also hit ANZAC if the opportunity arises.

• @orania:

We have a little group of around 4 players that are playing this game. The Axis side Always looses and we want to try the game with a small axis bid.

Lets assume it will be 6 or 7. Which unit(s) should i buy from this bid?

In which territory or Seazone would you place them on the European side and where on the Pacific side?

If you give Japan a Transport, that might help open things up for the Axis and help you grab the money islands.
    If you fancy making the European side more fun and fancy going G1 Barbarossa, a Destroyer would mean you could pounce on the Russian fleet in the Baltic and make an early move on Leningrad.

• TripleA

What I notice often in other people’s games is that Japan players are giving up transports early on. There is no reason to lose a transport within the first 3 rounds. Japan has the superior naval early on so I am not sure why transport losses are occurring.

• Customizer

@Cow:

What I notice often in other people’s games is that Japan players are giving up transports early on. There is no reason to lose a transport within the first 3 rounds. Japan has the superior naval early on so I am not sure why transport losses are occurring.

I would imagine that is due to leaving transports unprotected within range of Allied aircraft. I’ve seen that happen a lot. Japan spreads out to get all the DEI and perhaps Philippines and Malaya all in one fell swoop. Meanwhile all their warships are facing off against the US Navy or something else and simply don’t have enough to cover all the transports. Next thing you know, fighters from Australia or India end up picking some of them off. Sure it sucks to lose those transports, especially if you are planning on invading Australia. On the plus side though, you just gobbled up a lot of expensive territories to boost your income quite a bit and now you have garrisons on those islands so the Allies aren’t going to just walk in and take them back.

• Good point Cow.
    I am always throwing away my Japanese Transports, telling myself it is worth for the gain(a money island or whatever) and that they only cost 7IPCs, but usually regret it and cannot always find the funds to replace them anyway.
    We all know Japan is useless without its navy or any transports.

• TripleA

On round 2 Japan DoW you only have to defend 3-4 spots. Japan 1 purchased transports -> phil usually. The other 3 boats usually you want to work whatever 3 islands (or 2 islands and malaya).

Then the next round you get the other 2. How people are losing transports is beyond me.

In my last 12 games I have not lost a transport early on. Sometimes spreading the naval to defend against back to back attacks can be tricky. Try to keep fighters on your carriers when this is happening.

Also try to be realistic like say you got a dd sub bship carrier 2 fighter, that should hold against 4 attackers and then 3… that is bare minimal, which is sometimes necessary.

Once you figure out the bare minimal to defend each location and then sprinkle the rest of the naval on it.

Also things like kwangsi or french indo china airbase help to defend against multiple attacks. So sz 36 is usually the safe spot. Usually Japan wants an airbase there because it covers the burma road completely including india, provides reach to critical seazones, and defends naval.
    ~

but yeah the allies can win games even without a bid. Just have to take some chances or get lucky early on.

• Thank you for that Cow.

• Like when your ~90% Taranto doesn’t work, well tough luck winning that one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m