• @ABWorsham:

From my readings on this battle the axis minefields were heavy in anti-tank mines and low on anti-personal mines for the ‘devil gardens’.

I’d imagine that an effective minefield would require a mixture of both types of mines.  In principle, a minefield composed entirely of anti-tank mines could be safely crossed by infantry (whose low weight wouldn’t be enough to set them off), while a minefield composed entirely of anti-personnel mines could be safely crossed by tanks (which would not be damaged by the small blast and primarily fragmentation effect of anti-personnel mines).  A mixed minefield poses a threat to both troops and tanks, and thus requires tedious manual clearing by troops using – if one is limited to 1941-vintage technology – mine detectors and/or the old technique of prodding the ground with bayonets, as we see in the classic movie Desert Victory.  This was before the development of flail tanks (used on D-Day), or better yet the Mine Clearing Line Charge (which I was surprised to learn is a concept which dates all the way back to 1944).

• I remember reading that Rommel had several hundred rigged 500 & 1000lb bombs traps in his ‘devil garden’, however most if these did not survive the heavy British bombardment.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Wow… a 5 way tie!

• @ABWorsham:

I remember reading that Rommel had several hundred rigged 500 & 1000lb bombs traps in his ‘devil garden’, however most if these did not survive the heavy British bombardment.

I understood it was a massive artillery barrage, which took its toll on the defending Axis troops, their guns and their vehicles.

• Supply is the one main thing, to do that Malta would have needed to get sunk, or better control of the Med
    Great question keep them comming

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Mastery of the air!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Mastery of the Sea! (AKA Supply!)

• I found from so reading that the Italian’s best, and only, real answer to British armor was a scraped together weapon system. They took a 102mm rapid fire naval gun and mounted the gun on a heavy Fiat truck, this made an great heavy anti-tank gun. Although it was soft skin vehicle it packed a punch.

• Don´t think any of these options could beat the 8th army, although the tigers and/or marders could make a difference.

Monty had very high casulties, only won because he had a superior number of tanks.

• The way I see it:
    -two additional German trained Italian Infantry Divisions would be of no use because fully equuipped and trained they have been comming to late to make an excessive change.

• the addition of another Panzer Division would be one of the best solutions but only FULLY equipped and along with two Pantergrenadier Reg.

• the addition of a Panzer- Grenadier-Division to the theater would be of no good use without a few Panzer Regiments.

• the addition of a company of new Tiger tanks and an anti tank Marder company would be a good add- on but require Panzer Grenadier Regs as well.

-200,000 additional anti personal mines would be good if you consider to keep what you got and def thinking about a Defensive Strategy.

-none of these options are enough to beat back the 8th Army <- The 8th Army was good but not to strong to beat the Germans. I think if the DAK would have had more then the rare Supply shipped over the Med. Sea, then the Brit. 8th would have had a hard time to beat back the Germans.

Under the line: Tanks and Grennys are the optimal choice of mine and I can see Rommel doing a good job with it!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m