NEW- Official Global 1942 version of the game- by Larry Harris

• @Uncrustable:

Turn order is the same but Russia goes first , which makes Germany last
    Everyone is at war except japs and ussr , so Mongols are still a factor

where is the setup?

• @GoSanchez6:

Set it up last night. I agree Germany a little understrengthed on the Eastern front. Otherwise I like it. USA has Solomons and a fight brewing in the South Pacific. Like it.

where is the setup?

• @Global-commander:

where is the setup?

Same thread page 4

@P@nther:

Here is the corrected game setup as provided on Larry’s site:

http://smo63.fatcow.com/pdf/G42setup2013424.pdf

• @P@nther:

@Global-commander:

where is the setup?

Same thread page 4

@P@nther:

Here is the corrected game setup as provided on Larry’s site:

http://smo63.fatcow.com/pdf/G42setup2013424.pdf

found it, thanks!

• Post-Game report

Played live this weekend, we called it after 5 rounds because it was late.

Impressions:

• Axis is much stronger than it looks. The fact that Germany has a presence in the Med and that the allies don’t really have much is huge. The med is impossible to dominate for the allies without US assistance.

• Japan on paper looks weak, fleet is comparable to US. Big difference is that it starts with a very high income, it doesn’t need to chase money islands. This version also sees Japan crush India AND China easily, China starts with less and Japan starts with more land units. You can be in Russia in 4 rounds no problem, and still threaten India, which only has an income of 10. With a couple transports on J1, it’s strong again. The Amur stack being gone makes a HUGE difference.

• Russia isn’t as strong as it looks, it’s income is already low to start. Yes Germany has to consolidate forces for a round or 2 but it can still damage Russia, especially with the help of Japan from the other side.

• Anzac isn’t much of a factor, it has 10 income and it’s hard for it to increase it.

• Italy is much weaker but unless UK puts all it’s income on Egypt and the middle east (which we did in our game) it can threaten the middle-east and then Russia has a 3rd front.

Could talk about it a lot more, but I found that this version doesn’t play much faster than G402e, even with less units. Also it seems to have a minimum of balance, contrary to what people have been suggesting. I can’t say which is favored, but it’s not the landslide people predicted, at least not in the game I played.

Cheers,

• Thanks atease.
    We started playing when I saw it announced here, but stopped as the Turn Order was changed.
    Not sure when I will get to play it again, so thank you for your time.

• I forgot to mention that Germany pulled off a G5 sealion after buying 5 transports on G4. Countered by 6 USA bombers purchase on US4 to sink the entire fleet but the damage was done.

• Our group is going to try this version next weekend and I have just two questions:

1.  “There will be NO major neutral Powers” – What is a major neutral and how are neutrals played in this version?

2.  Is Germany 5th or 9th?

• Official Q&A

1.  A “major neutral power” is a playable power that begins the game neutral (the Soviet Union and the United States).  In this scenario all powers begin the game at war with all powers on the other side, so there are no special rules for neutrality.

2.  Germany is 5th.  This is the current version of the scenario.

• Thanks very much Krieghund!  That info really helps.

• I saw this on Triple A the other day, doe anyone have a link to where I can download it?  I can’t find it.

• The Global 1942 setup had a tourney at this past weekend’s GenCon.

I have to say it’s quite different, especially in terms of the turn order.  However, I must say I really enjoyed it and will probably prefer playing it over Alpha +3 1940.  My gaming partner and I played twice and won twice as the Allies.  Both times he was the USSR, USA, and China whilst I was Britain, ANZACs, and France.  In the first game we were given a bid of 10 IPCs; we put a British tank in Egypt and a British artillery in Burma.  The second time we were given a bid of 8 IPCS; we kept the artillery in Burma and put an artillery in Egypt instead of the tank.

I found the Japanese are very powerful and demand almost the full attention of America’s first 1-2 buys.  If Japan wants to truly threaten taking BOTH Sydney and Hawaii, it can, but it must almost ignore India in terms of purchases.  In the first game Sydney was lost but America was very well positioned to take it back whilst British India was starting to roll and liberate much of China.  In the second game Japan never took a victory city; it first lost Hong Kong and then Manila.  The game was called after that, especially since the Soviets were on German original territories and the British had taken the Balkans–despite having London occupied by the Germans.  Since it’s quite difficult to threaten Sea Lion, I found Britain could devote almost all of its money toward Africa.  In both games I bought a factory for Egypt and sometimes shuttled troops from South Africa to India.  I paid for it in the second game when Germany did a late Sea Lion and BARELY took London.  He paid for it, however, as the Soviets were soon knocking.

I would NOT say the 1942 setup is faster or accelerated in terms of how much time you will sit and play the game.  Instead, the benefit is that everyone is at war from the start, so for the American and Soviet players there is no buying and waiting.  Both games at GenCon were almost all-day affairs which could have been longer if one side had not decided to concede after careful deliberation.

Next time, I would say the Allies deserve a bid of 6 IPCs to see how it unfolds.

• Thank you for your post and  report ImperialDefence. I am very interested in playing this, having set up and started only to find the turn order was changed.
    Can you confirm the turn order please?

• No problem regarding the game report.  I felt compelled to post since I read so much vitriol regarding the G1942 setup earlier in this thread.  Having played 1.5 games online through TripleA and now two actual, live games, I will go on the record and say I am a definite fan.  Of course, I will still play G1940 from time to time, but this adds another dimension to the game and eliminates any powers having to sit and wait.  I would say G1942 is a definite must if you have a lot of people playing on both sides, Axis and Allies.  This way the American and Soviet players don’t nod off due to boredom and inactivity.

For confirmation, the TURN ORDER IS (with starting income in parentheses):

USSR (29)
    Japan (48)
    USA (50)
    CHINA (12)
    GERMANY (54)
    BRITISH EMPIRE (31 Euro; 10 India)
    ITALY (10)
    ANZAC (10)
    FRANCE (0)

The National Objectives are the same.

• Thank you. I thought I remembered Germany being fifth, but was not positive.
    I agree in that it is  nice to have a game without the obligatory conquest of France.
    Someone made a 43 version too. I never got to set that one up, but the situation Germany faced that Summer has always interested me.
    I did play this on AAA, but got fed up with the retarded AI and messed up set up.
    Were you able to amend the set up yourself? I am not competent enough with computers to try that. I hoped someone would amend that.

• No.  Someone out there has already amended the setup and it is downloadable.  As far as I could tell it was and is accurate.  I don’t have it because my playing partner always hosts our TripleA games.  I would assume he downloaded it from the normal sourceforge, or whatever it is, site.

• Brilliant. Will look later.
    Thanks again.

• '18 '17 '16

Here is the link to the Sourceforge thread where you can download the TripleA file.

triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum

If you need help getting it installed, let me know.

Edit: it wouldn’t let me create a hyperlink for some reason. Can a Moderator fix it?

• Here is the map!
    Tnx MiniAlien.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24448181/ww2global42_2nd_edition.xml

Put the file into triplea\maps\World War II Global\games and you should be ready to go :)

• '18 '17 '16

ImperialDefence and I have played this once on TripleA against each other and twice at GenCon as a team against other seasoned Global players.

I personally like the new G42 setup. It’s a different game from G40. America is really forced to invest in more Pacific units, whereas it’s easier for them to ignore Japan in G40. The initial depletion of German forces is meant to replicate where Germany would be had they invaded Russia from the beginning. Germany is forced to play a defensive game for the next few rounds, however the Soviet advance is not unstoppable.

I did not find a problem with the changed turn order. I felt that it worked well with the setup.

Both games we played were very close even though the Allies received a bid as Imperial stated in the above post.

I can’t say which I prefer. I like both setup’s and would be happy to play either.

I must agree with ImperialDefence, this setup is NOT faster. Our games could easily have gone 18 hours.

The Mongolian Rule was unclear to us. In both games we played that Soviet’s could enter China and participate in defensive battles since they are at war with Japan. However, if they attacked the Japanese first or invaded a Japanese territory then the Mongolians would never mobilize.

Edit: Mongolian Rule

I hope this helps to provide some more perspective on the G42 setup.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m