• '12

If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. Bitchin’ and scoffing at the designer is not part of the solution.

Kim

Comrade Kim, what is allowable commentary here in your opinion.  Should we vet our comments with you to ensure they pass the gestapo thought police?  On a serious note, frankly, if people have a problem with a game I want to hear about it.  This is not a cheerleader site, this is a gaming site dedicated to a game I enjoy and if there are any concerns in the community I for one want to hear about it.  If this place becomes nothing more than a cheerleader site i want no part of it.  Moreover, you should exceed the 100 post tally before telling people with 1000s of posts here what can and can’t be said.

Umm, good enough to get me banned from HGD…

Seriously?  Love to hear more on that story!

• I think all Kim was saying is that Flashman is wasting his time with some pretty abrasive mockery (asserting Larry is clueless about history) when he could be trying to fix problems being more respectful. Flies sugar vinegar or whatever. If he had views that would have helped the game, the chance of them being respectfully listened to by anyone with decisionmaking power have now imploded, since there was little to no respect given in this initial post in this thread.

• Mal,

I’m no cheerleader. I have had criticism of this game as well. Flash is not wrong in his view and has a point, it’s just that if he really wants to have an influence on some real changes, then denigrating Larry is probably not going to sit well and any good ideas he has will likely get dismissed out of hand just because of the hyperbole attached to it.

Larry was very open to revising Global 40 and many people had a say in multiple rules revisions on his site. My point is if Flash would turn down the rhetoric I think Larry would be more open to constructive criticism and some possible solutions. He would be more valuable with a seat at the table then railing from the sidlines.

Kim

• Customizer

I thought I had an understanding with Larry, after all its he who called me so haaaard. I was only mocking gently, with a somewhat exaggerated version of some comments he’s already made. It was only my little joke, and I think deleting my posts was only Larry’s, even assuming it was he who did so.

I did not post anything on HGD mocking anyone, just a reasoned post replying to the SM suggestion and not even disagreeing with it; a minute later it vanished.

I happen to think I AM part of the solution, since t’was me, before anyone here had even played the game, who pointed out that Central Powers were screwed without some form of rail transport, or as Larry will have it “strategic movement”.

Really, I’m only trying to help improve the game.

Suddenly adopting a solution I’d been banging on about for months, and then banning me for criticizing the very thing that was wrong with the game in the first place seems like a rather Stalinist approach to game design.

I’m going in for a heart op in a couple of weeks, so frankly I’ve more important things to worry about, but I do think censorship is the indelible signature of dictatorship.

Want to know the future of Axis and Allies?

Imagine a boot stamping on a human face for ever and ever.

• @Flashman:

I happen to think I AM part of the solution, since t’was me, before anyone here had even played the game, who pointed out that Central Powers were screwed without some form of rail transport, or as Larry will have it “strategic movement”.

Hold up a minute. The potential game was not automatically doomed for the CP without rail transport. I can give you a game with the exact same rules, board, everything, and only change the setup, and the CP will have an equal or better chance of winning than that the Allies. Getting an equal chance is hard, but saying that the CP is automatically doomed without your idea strikes me as heavily exaggeratory, and, honestly, less than mature.

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

@Flashman:

Hold up a minute. The potential game was not automatically doomed for the CP without rail transport. I can give you a game with the exact same rules, board, everything, and only change the setup, and the CP will have an equal or better chance of winning than that the Allies. Getting an equal chance is hard, but saying that the CP is automatically doomed without your idea strikes me as heavily exaggeratory, and, honestly, less than mature.

Yes, when you give a side an overwhelming advantage, it will win. If it is all about equality, then give each side equal forces. Rails not only make it more equal, it gives more flexibility, making a more enjoyable and historical game.

• '12

Kim, sorry.  Obviously I am unfamiliar with the relationship at hand between Larry and Flashman, that in fact there was one.  I was under the impression it was just a humourous faux interview from somebody not closely associated.

Flash, still funny as all hell, but since you are much closer to the game than I had thought it would not be hard to construe your ‘interview’ in a more negative light.

• I want to sign up for Flash fan club.

I think that he is a political laxative that gets things moving in the right direction in this game discussion forum. Some sort of strategic rail move is required especially to counteract the two opposite side of board arrival capability and sea movement of the UK.  However, this type of strategic move should favor Germany at expense of Russia and Austro Hungary as both of these nations had major internal problems compared to Germany.  In other words, they screwed up their rail moves in real life constantly and consistently while the Germans starred at it.

• @Flashman:

Want to know the future of Axis and Allies?

Imagine a boot stamping on a human face for ever and ever.

love the 1984 quote

• Customizer

That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said about me.  :-D

@incitefool:

I want to sign up for Flash fan club.

I think that he is a political laxative.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m