• Trying to get an idea which country is most (and/or least) popular to play. Given the choice (and assuming you’re playing as 1 country only), who would you prefer to be?

• '19 Moderator

This has been asked before several times I am sure, the winner is usualy Germany. ;)

• @dezrtfish:

This has been asked before several times I am sure, the winner is usualy Germany. ;)

i thought it was usually Japan who came out on top.
    i don’t like playing Germany nearly as much.

• '19 Moderator

I don’t either, my choice was the US, because they are flexable and can generaly comeback even if they loose an ally, and I don’t like to lose. ;)

Japan is up there too, but for some reason alot of people like to play Germany.

• I think ussr is the best country. if russia didn’t enter the war, we might be speaking german now

• I chose the US, because which front the US chooses to fight, can somewaht change the whole game

• Japan, the land of many possibilities.

• No, I think the winner was Japan in the one I started a while back. I’ll see if I can find it later.

• I picked Germany only because you have to scheme and scheme to come up with a good strategy. It is the biggest challege, so lots of thinking is involved. To win or even survive when you are Germany is like an impossible problem, and I like trying to solve impossible problems. It is kind of a downer when you you lose, but then you just go and plan for the next game, which is almost as fun as playing. It is a high when you win with your cleverly thought-out scheme.

• Sorry, gang - didn’t know this had been done to death already. Just wanted to get some alternative viewpoints; I almost always play with the same small group of people, and the game tends to become stereotyped.
    Personally, I prefer the U.K. (my brother claims this is because “England works if you’re a cheap-shot artist”, which I suppose is part of the appeal for me).

• I chose Japan because they are usually more flexible and as long as you hold asia, island hopping isn’t really a threat to your economy.

• Germany because against experienced players it is usually harder to command your forces succesfully throughout the game.

• i gotta go with either Russia or Germany. first of all, giant border clashes are fun, and these two sure have a lot of them. both are fighting a two front war from the start and have to be able to take one of the fronts out before they can concentrate on the other. being able to think “3 dimensionally” is key to victory. although, if youre not playing RR, the game can be over for germany in a few turns.

• Vann Himself wrote:

I chose Japan because they are usually more flexible and as long as you hold asia, island hopping isn’t really a threat to your economy.

I have to disagree with that. Island hopping can devistate Japan. I’ve said this a couple of times and I’ll reiterate my points.

First, it puts a navy on Japan’s door step, and gives allied players another foothold for Asia. Not the biggest advantage but it helps a little.

Second, it is very easy for the UK to put an IC on Australia (even easier if WE is taken and the US is moving in on Germany, so your on the defencive in Europe) and grab at least two islands form the start. Since it’s difficult to reinforce islands effectivly, you usally only have to take out one inf. A ftr and 2 inf can usally handle this threat.

Third, it draws attention away from Asia. If Japan doesn’t reinforce their navy in the south pacific (esspecialy against an IC in Australia), they will wind up with a broken or, worse, no navy, which opens the door for invation. So, Japan is forced to spend money on a navy, taking money from the mainland, which is a plus as it slows the drive to Moscow. That could mean death for Germany right there.

Finally, if you take all the islands, you steal 8 IPCs from Japan every turn. That is VERY difficult to retake on mainland Asia, as the territories average around 2-3 each. So you need to take something like 3-4 territories just to make up for the loss. Plus it provides a nice boost for the Allied nation(s) that occupy the islands.

So, thats my two cents.

Oh, and I like Germany the best :D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m