Interested in special dice to speed up A&A combats?

• A couple of months ago I completed a custom dice project that my group has been using for Axis & Allies games and some other games that utilize 1 and under d6 rolls, 2 and under rolls, 3 and under, etc. We’ve found these dice GREATLY speed up Axis & Allies combats and make the combats easier to run. There are 4 different colored dice, white, blue, green, and red.  White has one side with a hit symbol (the rest are blank), blue has 2 sides with hits symbols, green has 3 sides with hit symbols, and red has 4 sides with hit symbols. See the image below:

Here’s an Axis & Allies combat example using these dice.

In a A&A global game Germany is attacking the USSR with:

• 5 Infantry

• 3 Mechanized Infantry

• 6 Artillery

• 7 Tanks

• 2 Fighters

• 4 Strategic Bombers

Instead of rolling each of these unit types separately and looking at the numbers and then figuring out which numbers rolled under that units to-hit number, I instead collect up the following dice and roll ALL of them at the same time. I then only need to count the dice showing the “EXPLOSION” hit symbol. No need to look for certain numbers on some dice and other numbers on other dice. Just count the “EXPLOSION” symbols and you have your hit total.

• 5 Infantry (5 blue dice)<all 5=“” supported=“” from=“” artillery=“”></all>

• 3 Mechanized Infantry (2 white dice, 1 blue dice) <1 supported from artillery>

• 6 Artillery (6 blue dice)

• 7 Tanks (7 green dice)

• 2 Fighters (2 green dice)

• 1 Tactical Bomber (1 red dice)

• 4 Strategic Bombers (4 red dice)

All at once I roll: 2 white die, 12 blue, 9 green, 5 red.

Here’s what I did to create these dice:

• Purchased ~100 blank d6 dice

• Printed “EXPLOSION” symbols on transparent laser label paper

• Cut the “EXPLOSION” symbols out

• Stuck the cutouts to the blank dice

Unfortunately, the label stickers are slowly wearing off and I’d rather not have to always be checking all of my ~100 dice to see if any label needs replacing. Very tedious.

My question is, would anyone be interested in supporting a Kickstarter for these dice?  I’m sure they can also be used for other games that roll 1 and under, 2 and under, etc.  My group uses these dice for A&A and some home games I created.  I probably won’t be the one starting the Kickstarter. I contacted an author of a Kickstarter that’s creating WW2 dice for some other game and asked him if he would consider adding dice like mine to his Kickstarter. He said not for his current Kickstarter but he may start another one if there was interest. Would anyone support something like this?  I’m going to send this thread to the author of the original Kickstarter so he can gauge interest.

• Customizer

This is a cool idea. We were actually kicking around an idea like this on the 1914 boards a while back. I’d totally support a Kickstarter.

Some suggestions:

• We’d be interested in something like that, for sure.

As Ossel said though;

• Definitely consider using Crosshairs or something for the hit symbol rather than an explosion (less cartoonish imo).
    • For that many dice, definitely consider the smaller 12m dice.  As much as I (personally) despise smaller dice, when you’re rolling 20-30+ at a time it’s a lot easier than standard dice sizes.  Especially if you don’t have a good tower to roll them in.

I prefer silk-screened over etched though.  But, if it’s a simple crosshair then etched would work as well.  Either option is better than stickers (obviously).

• I would heavily prefer larger dice. Nothing bigger than the 5/8" but def no smaller than 14mm
    This is a great idea tho

• Thanks guys, I’ll pass along the interest to the guy starting the other WW2 dice kickstarter.

Others, please post here if you are interested, I’m going to send him this thread so he can see the level of interest in dice like the ones I posted above.

• Customizer

Amazon sell them in batches of 24, but you’d need to use black instead of green.

However after playing with 1914’s 10mm dice the 16mm versions now seem huge, especially rolling dozens at a time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blank dice

Has anyone tried burning designs into the dice with hot metal?

• @Flashman:

Amazon sell them in batches of 24, but you’d need to use black instead of green.

However after playing with 1914’s 10mm dice the 16mm versions now seem huge, especially rolling dozens at a time.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blank dice
    Has anyone tried burning designs into the dice with hot metal?

Unless you are the worlds faster etcher it would take forever to engrave ~100 dice.  Certainly not worth the cost in time. It took me several hours to just apply the labels.

• Customizer

I’ve asked this site if they’d be interested in producing sets along these lines:

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Custom_Dice.html

• @Flashman:

I’ve asked this site if they’d be interested in producing sets along these lines:

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Custom_Dice.html

Thanks, let us know their reply.

• This is a good idea.  I would be interested in buying some

• Customizer

Would anyone also need 5 hit sided dice, maybe in black?

Also, what numbers are needed of each colour, as there’s usually a minimum order for custom made dice.

1914 has sold me on 10mm dice, but I’d be happy up to 14mm.

Don’t like the idea of national symbols, want these to be suitable for any game.

Maybe if they’re popular a number of designs for hits, such as medieval with swords.

• @Flashman:

Would anyone also need 5 hit sided dice, maybe in black?
    Also, what numbers are needed of each colour, as there’s usually a minimum order for custom made dice.
    1914 has sold me on 10mm dice, but I’d be happy up to 14mm.
    Don’t like the idea of national symbols, want these to be suitable for any game.
    Maybe if they’re popular a number of designs for hits, such as medieval with swords.

• Yes, a d6 with 5 hit sides would be good, not only for A&A (jet powered fighters) but I’m sure there are other games that hit on 5 or less.

• My prototypes collection consists of: 30 x 1s, 30 x 2s, 24 x 3s, 20 x 4s. My group has used these dice in ~6-7 A&A games so far, ~4 global, ~2 1942. Most of our Global games have been with 4 or 5 players, but one was with 2 players. Our 1942 games have been 2 players and 5. We split the dice evenly between the 2 sides, so Axis receives 15 1s, 15 2s, 12 3s, 10 4s. The same for the Allies. This has been a good amount but occasionally the sides had to share dice for the large battles, but not often. Having played with these quantities I would purchase ~50% more of each die, assuming the cost wasn’t too crazy.

• I also would not prefer nation symbols for the hit sides. You would have to purchase 8-9 times more dice to play Global and that would be insanely expensive for most folks. And, as Flashman stated, it’s best to keep the symbolism generic so they can be used with other games.

Flashman, keep us informed on your research. I’m glad this may be taking off. EVERYONE in my Axis & Allies game group loves playing with these dice, and trust me, it’s NOT easy pleasing everyone in our gaming group. Lots of difference personalities and play preferences.  :evil:

• Flashman, any news from that dice maker?

• '14 '13

Interesting idea. I like the idea of slightly smaller dice for those German/Russian battles of 30-40 infantry on either side.

• Customizer

No official news; might have to buy some blanks and customize myself.

Will pass on any new suggestions to the site.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m