Mongolia and Neutrals - rules summarized here

• If Japan attacks a Mongolian territory (but not a Soviet territory bordering Mongolia) then all strict neutrals (or neutral neutrals as I like to call them) become pro-allied, including the rest of Mongolia, correct? Does the rest of Mongolia then directly join the Soviet Union?

@Gamerman01:

Neutrals:

1. You can’t move a tank through a friendly neutral that you just activated
       a) You CAN blitz strict neutrals and unfriendly neutrals
       b) You also can’t non-com mech or tanks through the friendly neutral that you just took control of.

Rule 1 b) the mention of tanks seems redundant, as the initial line already says you can’t move a tank through a friendly neutral.

• @Gamerman01:

Mongolia:

1. If Japan attacks a Russian controlled territory bordering Mongolia, all of Mongolia is immediately Russian
        a) If Japan attacks Mongolia in the same combat move (as attacking a Russian controlled territory bordering Mongolia), they break neutrality of all strict neutrals
        b) This is the ONLY way all of Mongolia will immediately turn Russian without territories needing to be activated.

Re-read 1)b) for the answer to your second question

• @Gamerman01:

Mongolia:

If neither of the above takes place, Mongolia continues on as a strict neutral, but

1. Will NOT go pro-Axis if the Allies break neutrality elsewhere
       a) Mongolia ONLY goes pro-Axis if Russia directly attacks Mongolia.  This would break neutrality around the world (all strict neutrals go pro-the other side).
          i) Any OTHER Ally can attack Mongolia directly and this will break neutrality around the world, but the rest of Mongolia will stay neutral
       b) Mongolia WILL go pro-Allied if the Axis break strict neutrality anywhere, including Mongolia

Re-read this 1)b) for the answer to your first question  :-)

• @8thGuards:

Rule 1 b) the mention of tanks seems redundant, as the initial line already says you can’t move a tank through a friendly neutral.

Yeah I see what you’re saying, but it’s not redundant and I’ll explain why it’s not.

1. is saying you can’t take over a friendly neutral by blitzing a tank through it in noncom

1)b) makes it clear that you can’t take control of a friendly neutral with one tank, and then move others through it.

My summaries were written in April of 2013 if you look, and back then that was a common question or misconception, so it makes total sense to word it that way.

• Quick question…

Here is a situation that is confusing: Britain lands a mech inf in French West Africa, can it “blitz” through French Central Africa and French Equatorial Africa and take ownership of both? Assuming France is Axis controlled? I know that mechs can move 2 spaces through friendly territories but may not blitz through enemy terrs and take them over. Can they blitz through friendly terrs and take them over?

• Stonewall, there’s something you’re missing there -

You can’t take control of French territories just because Paris is Axis-controlled.  Germany, Italy, or Japan would have to take control of the originally French territory first (e.g. French Central Africa), in order for one of the Allies to take control of an originally French territory (e.g. French Central Africa).  So then it would be enemy territory

• Ok, yes I did miss that, thank you Gamerman01!

• Mongolia rule still applies if Italy and Germany attack USSR territories too or does this exclusively apply to Japan?

• Mongolia rules only concern Russia, Mongolia, Japan

• So if Italy and Germany do not trigger Mongolia to join USSR, what happens if Germany controls a boarder USSR territory and Japan during non combat send a land unit into their allies territory?

• '19 '17 '16

I believe that the Mongolian rule remains in effect. So if the Germans send a tank across Siberia, Mongolian rule remains dormant.

Wait, there’s more. If the USA take Amur from the Germans after Moscow is taken down, then the Japanese take Amur, Mongolian rule is still dormant. If the Japanese later attack Soviet troops following the tank in Buryatia, the Mongolian rule will activate.

• @Caesar:

So if Italy and Germany do not trigger Mongolia to join USSR, what happens if Germany controls a boarder USSR territory and Japan during non combat send a land unit into their allies territory?

The rule says “if Japan attacks any Soviet-controlled territory that is adjacent to any Mongolian territory”

Do you need access to a rulebook?

• No. I need specific breakdown of the rule as if you haven’t notice, there is A LOT of loopholes in the rules.

• No need to be impolite.  There is no loophole here - it’s in black and white and very clear and direct.

• '19 '17 '16

@Caesar:

No. I need specific breakdown of the rule as if you haven’t notice, there is A LOT of loopholes in the rules.

Did my post above fail to clear things up for you?

• @simon33:

@Caesar:

No. I need specific breakdown of the rule as if you haven’t notice, there is A LOT of loopholes in the rules.

Did my post above fail to clear things up for you?

It cleared it up, I am just trying to see how abusive one can take with the rules in AnA. As said, loopholes exist in AnA and I wish to exploit them as much as I can however I also want to make sure my enemy can fairly do it. I understood the Mongolia rule before I asked the question but never quested if it works for Germany or Italy. Which is why I wanted to know if Japan could non-combat its way pass Mongolia if it would still trigger it. It may seem strange to ask as if the odds are the western Axis are near Mongolia, the allies are clearly losing, but I still wanted to know encase I ever encounter the Pacific Lion. (or whatever it is called when Germany ignores Moscow to attack India).

• Good summary for a new player. Thanks!

• Glad to hear it!  Thanks for the feedback.

• Axis invaded neutral Territories and is at war with them.
    However; when the US joins the Allies they can’t Blitz through any neutral and friendly neutral Territories, correct?

Example:
    South America needs to be taken Territory by Territory.
    Or invaded simultaniously.
    A Tank can’t  Blitz through Colombia from Central America.

• Correct!  The only neutral that can be blitzed is an unfriendly neutral (that is empty, of course)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m