• I am catching up on my knowledge of WWI. I am a historian, but since the Netherlands weren’t participants in the war it is very hard to find a good book about this subject. And the ones I do find I don’t know if they’re any good.

Can someone help me? Any tips on a good book about diplomacy, general warfare, etc?

Thanks!

• The First World War by John Keegan is a great read. You will greatly enjoy the read. It does a good job covering the entire event.

The Guns of August by Tuchman is a great read of the cause and opening days and months of the war.

All Quiet on the Western Front is a short but great read. It does a great job putting the horrors of war and the everyday life of the German troops of the War.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Mien Kampf touches on the subject.

• The best WW1 book I have read are

Hew Strachan’s “The First World War” is a great and very easy read and there is an accompanying documentary series based off the book to go along with it. It covers the basics of each front and each year of the war very, splitting it’s time between the tactics and battles on one hand, and on letters and journal entries of the people who live through it on the other. Overall, and very good read, well written but not overly complicated.

S.L.A. Marshall’s “World War One” is another great book and covers things much more in depth I feel. Marshall served with the US army in France and fought in the front lines, so he brings a keen understanding of what it was like in the trenches to his writing. He covers the war from the lowly troopers perspective up to the Highest general and statesman seeing the whole picture. He discusses tactics and strategy of all sides, the advancement of technology during the war, the various weapons and how the functioned. It really is an all inclusive study of the war and I love reading it again and again.

Erwin Rommel’s **“Infantry Attacks”**which I am currently reading is another great book on WW1. It gives great perspective on what the war was like for the average infantrymen, what challenges they faced and how their tactics changed when the war moved from open country fighting, to trench warfare. Well written and very informative on a basic tactical level as well as giving an idea of the larger picture at the same time. Well worth picking up.

Honorable Mention goes to Sean McMeekin’s “July 1914: Countdown to War” I haven’t read this one yet but it’s next on my list. It covers in great detail the events and actions that took place during the “July Crisis” that lead to the war. I’m looking forward to picking it up and i’ll be sure to let you know if it turns out to be any good.

• Very helpful, thank you guys!
    I think I’m going to order the John Keegan and Erwin Rommel books.
    Thanks again!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m