Is the new "Lord of the Rings" RISK any good???

• The other day,I saw this new RISK game and I was wondering if it is worth buying.

• I have played “Lord of the Rings Risk” and the new one “Lord of the Rings Risk Trilogy Edition” and they are both a lot of fun, especially if you are a fan of LOTR. It has unique elements such as evil hunting the ring, impassable mountains & rivers, etc. I have also found that most people who aren’t really into war strategy games even enjoy playing this one.

• Here’s the deal:

Original Risk takes place in “flatland” where you build up massive border forces, and slog around hurling dice for three hours. Plenty of fun, even if two-dimensional – and no time or turn limit.

Risk 2210AD is like Risk the way the Fantastic Four would play it: you’ve got three dimensions, with undersea and lunar territories creating leaks, holes and backdoors all through your empires. Plus you havea choice of five Commanders, each of which uses 8-sided dice, employs special powers via a separate card deck, etc. This game is a total blast, and full of surprises. And you play against a five-turn limit, so players are encouraged to take major gambles.

Risk Lord of the Rings is somewhere in between. There is a turn limit, but it changes as players use certain power cards. The game takes us back to the “flatland” of Risk – but there is a deck of surprise (“Adventure”) cards that serve as motivators to take big gambles and not just sit and build up border forces around a region (continent). You don’t get omnipotent, specialized Commanders, but you do get a Leader who adds punch to your combat, and who is essential to gaining victory points. Plus, there are differences to playing an Evil army vs. a Good army. The map is pretty well done – although we wish it was bigger, my precious…

• '19 Moderator

Is the map based on Middle Earth?

What Kind of bonuses for good or bad armies?

This sounds interesting.

• Sure, it’s based on Middle Earth, D-fish!

One caveat: the first edition, called LOTR Risk, does not include Gondor or Mordor. (Think of it as the Two Towers edition.) Some fans are teed off about this, but I would say the game plays well. The latest version, called LOTR Risk Trilogy Edition, includes those two regions, plus a third additional area (Horvath or something, to the south of Gondor & Mordor) for a total of nine regions of varying values.

Some of the extra-army (they are called battalions, rather than armies, while the entire force you command is your army) bonus amounts earned by playing adventure cards differ depending on whether the player is evil or good. It seems to based on whether the “power site” associated with the card lies in a territory generally considered more on the good side or evil side of the board.

• '19 Moderator

I think I will have to check it out. Though Some of my friends will think I am a Geek, I am in my thirties and board game as a hobby so I guess that is a given. ;)

• @dezrtfish:

I think I will have to check it out. Though Some of my friends will think I am a Geek, I am in my thirties and board game as a hobby so I guess that is a given. ;)

Eh, that’s what I’ll be doing when I’m in my thirties, so it’s good to know that somebody is blazing the trail. :)

• the extra region to the south of Gondor and Mordor would be Harad, which is where the Southrons from ROTK and Two Towers come from (they are the evil men with the Mumakil (really big elephants))

• Yes. I think they are both great games except the First LOTR Risk. THe Trilogy edition is much much better. The first edition misses out on the Battles between Gondor and Mordor.

• I thought it looked dumb…

• @MuthaRussia:

I thought it looked dumb…

That’s what you get for thinking. :P

• Ha-ha-ha! :x Maybe we should start a comedy forum and you could be moderator! :evil: :lol:

• hey, is there a mapview modual for lotr risk?

• Don’t the two LotR games connect together?

• Rising Sun, where in Cincinnati do you live? I’m busey with my job all this summer but maybe in Sept we could have a game. No one around me likes it.

• Are you stalking me?

• Dude cool it!!! I just want to have a freakin game!!! I’m so god damn tired of setting up the pieces and staring at em all day!!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry:

• @japwhipper14:

Dude cool it!!! I just want to have a freakin game!!! I’m so god damn tired of setting up the pieces and staring at em all day!!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry:

you may continue to post on the subject of the game.
    NO MORE USING THIS FORUM TO COMMUNICATE IN THIS WAY EVER!
    neither of you reply to this message, nor to each others messages. No provoking each other. Anymore of this crap will NOT be tolerated. I will not have another Germanstrom/Tigertank on this forum. You both understand, or else.
    “That which is understood need not be discussed.”

• Cool it. It was a joke!!! :D We just found out we live really close to each other and wanted to have a game. Plus,Tigertank and Germanstrom sounded like they knew each other. I have never even seen Rising Sun. Ok sorry for cussing if thats what heated you up.

• @japwhipper14:

Cool it. It was a joke!!! :D We just found out we live really close to each other and wanted to have a game. Plus,Tigertank and Germanstrom sounded like they knew each other. I have never even seen Rising Sun. Ok sorry for cussing if thats what heated you up.

i’m glad this was a joke.

it was a combination of:

1. using these fora as a tool for inappropriate personal communication
    2. language
    3. apparent flaming.

please don’t waste our time etc. with this crap. It is appropriate to search for players here, line up games, express opinions on gameplay and current events. After what we saw with TT and GS, our tolerance for this crap has dropped.
    Thank you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m