How to balance out the game for the Allies in one easy step

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Germany would also get to absorb pro-axis armies from Hungary and then Rumania.

• Russia would have 37 IPCs and Germany 14 IPCs because that is the value of their respective territories.  I suppose you could start Russia with 0 IPCs, but then they collect at the end of their first turn?

Either Germany would have to have a large navy or large air force to deal with the British fleet turn 1 or you will have a British fleet that is way too big.

• The problem of a large British fleet early is twofold:

1. Sea-lion much harder for Germany.  Germany would not have the funds to build warships, transports, and troops to do Sea-lion- not to mention build troops to guard against France/build up for Russia;  when all Britain has to do is build troops (upgrade IC possibly as well).

2. Earlier Allied landings in Europe/earlier pressure on Italy in the Med.  Italy would have a tough time if Britain has a larger fleet to contest the Med- in addition the French and British can consolidate their fleets- then the British can make landings in France, Norway, Africa, Italy way earlier than was previously possible.

Unless of course you are proposing the British start with an ahistorical shell of a fleet.

• @rjpeters70:

@variance:

Now that I think about it, this might not be such a difficult variant to create because all the setup issues are to be dealt with by the players themselves in the first and second round.�  There would be minimal stuff on the board at the beginning.

Great point.  I’m actually wanting to play this out now.

You do realize that when I proposed this my tongue was planted firmly in me cheek  :-P

Anyway, maybe it does have some merit. Keep in mind that in '39, the Japanese suffered several major defeats in China, and Russia and Japan were fighting along the Manchurian-Mongolian border at Khalkhin Gol, so don’t neglect that theater.

My guess is that for Global 1939, the game starts one additional round earlier. Have at it guys!

Kim

• It only poses a balance problem- and an uphill battle for Germany.

• @rjpeters70:

@BJCard:

It only poses a balance problem- and an uphill battle for Germany.

Fair enough, but I don’t think that should be or constitutes a deal breaker for a new twist to the game.

Agreed, I would like to play it/develop it, but I would think about a 2 turn opening move for the Axis to get the game going/simulate the allies’ unpreparedness for war.  What does IL do on his 1939 variant?

• There isn’t a one way always wins with axis, but mainly, without a bid, Germany takes Moscow, and Japan takes India. The axis put a huge strain on America to support in both theaters, but America doesn’t have enough money to do so. Make sure Japan spends most of her income, after T1’s intial buy of 3 transports and arty, on Navy. I’d say at least 80% on navy/air for rest of the game.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Wow, Imperious Leader, you moved THIS thread to “house rules” but not the completely “whiny” transport aberration thread??  Seriously??  At least everyone here was open to trying to level the game out without having to bid 24….

• '17 '16

@DizzKneeLand33:

Wow, Imperious Leader, you moved THIS thread to “house rules” but not the completely “whiny” transport aberration thread??  Seriously??  At least everyone here was open to trying to level the game out without having to bid 24….

I agree with you DizzKneeLand33,
    it is strange while this tread talk solely about Global1940, the other about “defenseless transport” could easily open-up toward other Axis games (1942, 1941, etc.) applying Transport Taken last and all automatically destroy.

I don’t know who can do the move of this tread but I hope it will.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

So, that being said (if anyone still sees this now), I think that France could be neutral turn one, make a normal purchase, move units, and then Germany gets to move next – I don’t see how this imbalances anything, since France would not be attacking Italy or anything like that.  And, it would make things like Sea Lion more of a commitment, and maybe therefore make it less plausible and give the Allies better options there.  I’m looking at the big picture, and so far no one has convinced me this is a bad idea.

After all, isn’t there a reason for there being French pieces included with the game set?  :)

• '20 '16 '15 '14

And thanks, Baron (sorry, your post and mine crossed), for your support!  I completely agree there.  This post is solely a G40 post, and it was 6 pages long and started 16 days ago… why it was moved now is beyond my comprehension, considering all of the great ideas contained herein…

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Imperious Leader moved this thread, and now that I look, he’s not even listed as a moderator on the board from which it was moved (AA G40 Strategy Board).  Did this thread offend someone?  Seriously, what happened??  Was it my post on another Axis and Allies site??  Hmmmmm….

• I found the “threat” you were talking about.

Anything proposed that is not OOB goes in House rules. I don’t know who moved it here, but i agree it goes here.

This made it so: “Start the game with France going first, then Germany.”

Which is not part of OOB.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Wow, “you don’t know who moved it here”??

Ummmmmm, really??

Quote from my email:

Axis and Allies.org Boards webmaster@axisandallies.org7:58 PM (6 hours ago)

A topic you are watching has been moved to another board by Imperious Leader.

View the topic at: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30698.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?action=notify;topic=30698.0

Regards,
    The Axis and Allies.org Boards Team.

So, IL, move all of those inappropriate threads please, and please do not lie anymore about moving threads.  That really is censorship.  Thanks./webmaster@axisandallies.org

• Silly.

They are all here where house rules belong.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m