Why isn't France a Central Power?

• can say Germany took Paris off the bat and then the French would surrender all their army to France and bam 1914 Vichy France. Then to make sides more even, we shall add Japanese Forces coming through the Atlantic to balance this out

• The troll is strong with this one. I am amussed and thus give my permission for this to continue.

• @Imperious:

The only barriers preventing this might be the Franco- Prussian War of 1870, Alsace Lorraine, Germany and France being mortal enemies, and general animosity dating back since Napoleonic days

And the First Moroccan Crisis of 1905, which saw a partial mobilization of the French and German armies.  And the Second Moroccan Crisis of 1911.

• Didn’t Mexico cause the USA to enter the war with the Zimmerman Letter?  :-D

Aren’t they a member of the Central Powers too?

or could they have switched also?

• And what about Japan?

• And the First Moroccan Crisis of 1905, which saw a partial mobilization of the French and German armies.  And the Second Moroccan Crisis of 1911.

Yes these are correct as well. But literally, you can count all the reasons with like 50 fingers, but this alone gives it a mathematical chance of being possible and that’s what we are arguing for.

Didn’t Mexico cause the USA to enter the war with the Zimmerman Letter?   grin

Aren’t they a member of the Central Powers too?

Everybody went to war over Zimmerman. He was that popular. The goal is when every nation joins the Central powers, the war across of “ocean” can begin.

• It’s NOT!!! Damn I know I need to pay more attention to the Rules :-D

• All I know from the history professors of this site is that the only nation which could never ever have been a member of the CPs in 1914 was actually a member of the CPs in 1914.

• “This was because the Italian government had grown convinced that support of Austria (the traditional enemy of Italy during the 19th century Risorgimento) would not gain Italy the territories she wanted: Trieste, Istria, Zara and Dalmatia, all Austrian possessions. In fact, a secret agreement signed with France in 1902 practically nullified Italy’s membership in the Triple Alliance.”

All I know from the history professors of this site is that the only nation which could never ever have been a member of the CPs in 1914 was actually not a member of the CPs in 1915.

• @Imperious:

“This was because the Italian government had grown convinced that support of Austria (the traditional enemy of Italy during the 19th century Risorgimento) would not gain Italy the territories she wanted: Trieste, Istria, Zara and Dalmatia, all Austrian possessions. In fact, a secret agreement signed with France in 1902 practically nullified Italy’s membership in the Triple Alliance.”

All I know from the history professors of this site is that the only nation which could never ever have been a member of the CPs in 1914 was actually not a member of the CPs in 1915.

I think you should discuss that on the Axis&Allies1915 Board.

• I think you should discuss that on the Axis&Allies1915 Board

That’s Great!!  :-D

• I think France and Germany are naturall allies. The slaves are the traditionale enemy. They fought together against Russia in 1812, and they joined NATO togheter to fight Russia again during the Cold War. I think France got offended in 1870, and that startet 80 years with bad relations, but it should not been that way neccessaryli if things turned out different.

Italy can not be trusted. Italy never ends a war at the same side it startet it, and if they do its because they switched side twice during the war. Italy made backstabbing an art. In any wargame, Italy should always start as a neutral, and join the highest bidder.

• Not true- Italy ruled Europe for hundreds of years back in Roman days- it just wasn’t called Italy back then.  Italy cannot be trusted in the last 100 years, yup- agreed.

• Nobody trusted Venice in the Middle Ages either. They were always trading and allying with every bodies enamies.

• Oh wait. This is about France not Italy  :-D

• @Makoshark13:

Oh wait. This is about France not Italy  :-D

I wouldn’t trust the French either.  They were Europe’s bullies for, like, 1000 years from Charlemagne to Napoleon.

• Let’s just all agree that you couldn’t trust anyone in Europe before or during WW1.

• Why don’t we just let every player form their own alliances at the beginning of the game. Hell if Britain & France and Austria & the Ottomans can be allies than why not let anybody go for it.

• I love history.
    I can only imagine what the French and British thought of each other on WW1.
    As for the Austrian and Turks, well…

• Best solution:

Play A&A 1914 with the alliance rules from the game Diplomacy!

You get the best of both games.

Kim

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m