• They will almost certainly come out with a 2nd edition. The 100th anniversary is next year so they rushed this one so they could come out with a new one. The 2nd edition will hopefully have:
    -better playtesting
    -more sculpts
    -decent RR rules
    -better quality
    And all for the same amount of money.

• I really hope that atleast the 2 editions will be compatible with each other.
    -same chips and nation colors
    -they should throw in some marshaling cards (was revised the only game to come with them?)

@GoSanchez6:

Uncrustable thats how they will get us for 2nd edition on this one. Some new sculpts and a better map and better rulebook. Sound familiar. Global 1940 2nd edition. 1942 2nd edition. I see a pattern.

Yeah well i have both G40 editions and i will prob drool all over myself to get 1914 2nd edition lol
    What a sucker  :roll:

• Customizer

Ijust got the game today. I’ll be reading the faqs for rules clarification for sure. The game looks good but for sure there’s not enough pieces. As far as that goes, the plastic just doesn’t cost that much it’s the cardboard stuff that costs all the money. I like what I see so far and will be doing a solo run tomorrow most likely.

• I can see all of the CEOs over at Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro/AH on a yacht drinking and smoking cigars.  All laughing and patting each other on the backs.  “Great marketing strategy boys, give them an unplaytested game, at a high cost, with broken rules, then come out with a 2nd edition a year or two later, hahahahahahahaa, works every time.  Don’t forget about not including IPC money, battle boards or enough pieces, ahahahaahaha.  Pull”  Fires at skeet.  “Alfred poor me another scotch and have Jeeves pull the limo up to the dock”

When are they going to listen to the customers.  Wait I admit I’m a sucker and keep buying poor products.  I guess greed rules all in America.

The developers, play testers, and everyone involved with the A&A series should be ashamed of themselves.  For once do the right thing and put out a quality product.

• 1914 is a great game tho. Short on pieces yeah but Larry outdid himself on this one

• Hands down my favorite of all the A&A games, though WW1 is my favorite conflict so I’m biased (now all I need is a Spanish Civil war A&A  :-D). You have to think about things a lot more with only 1 round of combat. And the game is very high quality when it comes to the board, the color scheme and the units. 10/10

• Best WW1 game I have ever played. Looking forward to play some more.

• How in the world do you say this is the best WW1 game or a 10 out of 10 when only the allies can win?  Unless of course you are playing a wetrard!

• 2nd edition will be the best WW1 game. Not this one.

• I have not played this version enough to give a definitive answer but I will say that I really like it so far. There are some interesting new game mechanics that are really going to introduce some intriguing strategies. I’m really looking forward to paying again. My complaints about this game are mostly limited to the actual physical package itself and are as follows.:
    1. The number of pieces (again) not enough chips or sculpts (particularly German infantry)
    2. The income chart. Seriously? We are supposed to manage 16 roundels on that tiny thing? Was wizards really too cheap to include a standalone National Production Chart?
    3. No currency… again? The rulebook suggestes keeping track with paper and pencil (niether of which are provided). The game seems incomplete to me (as a consumer), there is a mechanic that exists in the game but no device or tool to keep track of that mechanic. This game is not playable out of the box, you must add currency markers or a paper and pencil to keep track.
    4. The Rulebook… again. It seems as though with every new variant of this game the rulebook gets more and more ambiguous with the explanations and organization of rules and rule related informaiton. I remember the nicely organized rulebook from the original and nothing has been as well organized since then.

• Customizer

You really have to see new A&A editions as game kits.

Nobody seriously believes that the first edition is the finished article anymore; the small playtest group and cloak and dagger secrecy puts paid to that.

How many people who bought this don’t have cash? I still use my MB edition money, and have 3 or 4 unopened money packs from other games I’ve never needed.

The shortage of infantry is due to it being completely new sculpts; expect this to be rectified in the next edition.

The income chart is a serious blip, can’t believe anyone uses it.

• @Flashman:

You really have to see new A&A editions as game kits.

Nobody seriously believes that the first edition is the finished article anymore; the small playtest group and cloak and dagger secrecy puts paid to that.

How many people who bought this don’t have cash? I still use my MB edition money, and have 3 or 4 unopened money packs from other games I’ve never needed.

The shortage of infantry is due to it being completely new sculpts; expect this to be rectified in the next edition.

The income chart is a serious blip, can’t believe anyone uses it.

You make some valid points Flashman, and of course in my case you are correct on all accounts. I have cash from previous games and supplements I have purchased over the years, I always tally the income at the end of every turn regardless of what the NP chart says, and I have more than enough pieces from other games to fill in the blanks. But what about a player who is completely new to the A&A universe? This person is not going to be satisfied, it’s like they don’t want new customers! They are effectively alienating new enthusiasts and are not even cashing in on their own incompetence to provide the required game pieces. I could understand WotC implementing a strategy to get people to buy extra chips, IPC’s, sculpts etc. but the reality is that they don’t even sell these extra pieces as a standalone. Which can only lead me to the conclusion that they just made a mistake or don’t care? Either way, it’s BIZARRE right? I love the games, I think they are all very clever and have subtle intricacies that impose no limits on the game’s “replay-ability”. They just haven’t constructed them very well.

• TripleA '12

Personally, I will wait for the 2nd Edition (if one ever comes out) as I would rather not have to buy two copies of this game.

• I think this poll is a little skewed because “good once rules are adjusted” covers a LOT of ground.

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

I think this poll is a little skewed because “good once rules are adjusted” covers a LOT of ground.

shrug Was just trying to get a general idea of what people thought.

• Sometimes you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Forums are for opinions and you know what they say about opinions…
    “Opinions are like A$$hol#$, everybody has one and they usually stink”…
    :|

• Maybe if I had put up a poll to find out what people wanted to see in a “Rate 1914” poll…?  =)

@elrojo33:

Sometimes you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Forums are for opinions and you know what they say about opinions…
    “Opinions are like A$$hol#$, everybody has one and they usually stink”…
    :|

• My point was that the review overall, based on the comments I have seen, would have been much lower had people actually been rating the actual game rather than the game as it does not exist except in their own minds with the changes each wants to personally see.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m