• @Cmdr:

you mean there was one before it?Â

I once heard that one referred to as “Star Trek: The Motionless Picture.”

• '10

All these others were just recordings! Captain Video and His Video Rangers was LIVE television!

Captain_Video_title_card.jpg

• '17 '16 '15 '12

The beginning of Star Trek is very good though. Love the scene where the Klingons move through Vgers outer layers. Good music, authentic stuff.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@alexgreat:

The beginning of Star Trek is very good though. Love the scene where the Klingons move through Vgers outer layers. Good music, authentic stuff.

You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9xaO55LipQ

:P

• @CWO:

I once heard that one referred to as “Star Trek: The Motionless Picture.”

The other major problem when assessing the first Star Trek movie is that it is in the unfortunate position of having to be compared to The Wrath of Khan. In that light TMP can only look bad, especially when you consider that Wrath has the famous “death” of Mr. Spock. I’m sure when compared to other Sci-fi films of its era, like Odessy it;s a good film, that dosn’t make it any less boring, but objectively i’m sure it will hold up.

The other thing to remember is that Star Trek TMP, wasn’t given the go ahead by Paramount not to be another “hard” sci-fi film, but to capitalize on the bump in popularity sci-fi was having because of the release of Star Wars. Now thinking on that we can see just how much of a failure TMP really was, because compared to Star Wars, TMP is like a dead dog nailed to an armchair. TMP nearly ruined the franchise where as ANH (that’s A New Hope) was the birth of one of the biggest and most profitable Science fiction series in history.

Another thing I’d like to hear opinions on; J.J. Abrams has been taped to direct the new Star Wars movies that Disney will be putting out and is also the director of the relaunch, or reboot or rewhatever, of the Star Trek series. What do you guys think of one man holding the directors chair on two of the biggest and most influential Science fiction series in our history?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

But we don’t really want ST to remake the movies, what’s the point?  We’ve all seen the movies!  We want NEW movies and since some of the original cast is dead and some of the TNG cast should be dead, we’re stuck with new actors.  After all, Mark Hamill isn’t playing Luke Skywalker anymore!  (and for the record, The Phantom Menace almost destroyed the Star Wars Universe, so let’s not go into TMP being horrible, okay?)

I love when people complain that the new ships look better than the original of the same ship.  Well, duh, but then, the original planets dont look the same as the original series planets in the DVDs or Netflix either….and “yuk” I really dont need to see William Shatner’s chest anymore…I really dont.  he’s old enough to be my grandpa for pitty’s sake!

(DEATH TO SPOCK!  Replace him with an Andorian and make the show better!  :evil:)

• @Cmdr:

(DEATH TO SPOCK!  Replace him with an Andorian and make the show better!Â

They actually did exactly that in the Animated Series episode “Yesteryear”.  Spock returns from a time portal excursion to find himself in an alternate timeline in which he died as a child and the Enterprise has an Andorian science officer.

@CWO:

@Cmdr:

(DEATH TO SPOCK!�  Replace him with an Andorian and make the show better!�Â

They actually did exactly that in the Animated Series episode “Yesteryear”.  Spock returns from a time portal excursion to find himself in an alternate timeline in which he died as a child and the Enterprise has an Andorian science officer.

Dang it!  Was hoping for something more original.  Okay, so replace Spock with a Mizerian.  I’d love to see a spineless little surrender monkey as the executive officer!  That’d be some really great episodes!

“Mr. Grath, the captain has been captured by the enemy, what are your orders?”
    “SURRENDER!”
    “Someone shoot Mr. Grath please!”

• On the subject of Star Trek, here’s an odd news item: the first Star Trek beer to be licenced by the franchise.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/04/27/calgary-vulcan-beer.html

Alas, it’s Vulcan rather than Romulan and it’s amber instead of blue – but I guess one has to start somewhere.

@CWO:

On the subject of Star Trek, here’s an odd news item: the first Star Trek beer to be licenced by the franchise.Â

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/04/27/calgary-vulcan-beer.html

Alas, it’s Vulcan rather than Romulan and it’s amber instead of blue – but I guess one has to start somewhere.

We have green beer here.  I’d wager we could add some orange coloring and make it more vulcan…if we can add green, why not orange?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m