My 3rd playtest Turns 1-8 review

• very interesting game, keep going.  I want to hear me.  you got me hooked.  lol

• Could you clarify a bit what the munich factory exactly is? Does it produce only max of 4 per turn?

• Yes max of 4 units, and India has a max of 4 units

• @Siris101:

Yes max of 4 units, and India has a max of 4 units

Do the British usually build more than 4 units in India in your experience so far?  I’m not sure they really need to with the Western Front more pressing in the early game.

• Well BJcard, I just sacked Bombay with my Turks on turn 7. My first game, I built more than 4 due to the fact that the Allies ruled the seas. This game Germany is keeping up in naval power.

Check this out

Turn 7 Review:

Ok guys so right now the CP’s are making 118 IPC’s compared to the Allies 82. The Ottomans are straight kicking ass. Plus, the CP’s now control the Mediterranean sea. France and Italy haven’t had any money to build navy, and the USA has been stuck in Belgium for 2 turns. I think the best route for the USA is to land all its troops into Albania (assuming the allies control the Mediterranean). This would throw Austria off and maybe divert attention away from Italy. I will take Italy next turn due to Austria holding Tuscany and Turks holding Naples. Hint: if the Germans have lots of ICPs it is wise to build a BB per turn. I’ve done this twice and have sunk the UK navy (including around 8 transports). They haven’t had any real troops movements into France the whole game. The USA isn’t as scary as I had hoped. Sure they can bring lots of troops at once. However, they have about as much trouble supplying the fronts as Germany does. 2 turns there and 2 turns back for transports. The CP’s are in major control of Africa since Germany captured Egypt and allowed the Turks to move 3 inf and 2 art over. I then crushed the remaining French garrison. The Turks will get 12 new African IPCs over the course of 3 turns. I could allow some USA troops to go and contest Africa but I feel that would be a waste of manpower. The game is the CP’s to lose at the moment. France and USA are still holding up really well against Germany. However, once Rome falls, it will be a little easier to take Paris (with Austrian help). I might have just pulled out a CP win. Oh btw, the Turks just sacked Bombay. This seals the fate for the UK in my opinion.

• I will post pictures of turns 2-the end after I finish the game. I forgot to take a picture after turn 1, but I’m sure you all know what turn 1 would look like anyways

• Can you post an overview of the game so far- big picture how you got here?  You are the only person to see the CP’s threatening to win that I’ve seen.

You say that the Ottomans have contested India, Germany took Cairo, and the CPs control the Med- how was this done? Things look bleak early for the Ottoman and especially in Africa and the Med (for the CPs).

Are the CPs going to be able to get to Paris?

• Well I didn’t send hardly any Austrian units to Russia, Germany and ottomans took them out. Also l, attacking turn 1 with the German fleet seems a bad move. It is better to keep it there and build a few more ships. I’ve sunk the UK navy twice.

The UK couldn’t afford to place units in India so the ottomans had an easy time there. Also I was able to escape the UK with one infantry to take Egypt and allow ottomans to move in.  Since France has been threatened so much. They have only been building inf and art. No money for ships. This has allowed A-H and Tirks to get their navy back

Check out my post in House rules forum. It has detailed turns of 1-5

• Well, in the house rules you have given Germany the buff of the Munich factory, India nerfed to 4 units/turn and a couple extra CP ships.  While these changes may be needed, I think we need more OOB games to determine how overpowered the Allies are.

I was interested in how you are winning as the CPs OOB.

So initially:
    Austria -> Italy (Do you attack Romaina or leave it for the Russians to activate?)
    Germany, Ottoman -> Russia (Do you attack France or build up a defensive front?)

Germany, Austria not engage enemy ships directly but utilize ‘fleet in being’ by slowly building up and using mines as an extra defender?  Thus forcing the UK to build a bigger and bigger navy to compete with Germany and protect British transports?  Thus less money for India?

In that case why wouldn’t the UK play a bit more defensive in Africa/Mid East so as to not let Germans/Ottomans run rampant there?  Or is this a lesson you learned in this game?  I’m still trying to get my head wrapped around the 1914 rules.

• Customizer

Perhaps there is something in the strategy of concentrating Austria against the west, maybe Germany attacking east? If both are split between two fronts they both become overstretched, and never have enough reinforcements.

I’ve always felt that the French navy is rather overpowered in the setup.  I can understand the two secondary factories being limited to 4 units, but this does cramp the UK a lot; my experience is that it places enough units in India to do the job - this can be a large stack of 8 units (to invade Persia) one turn, then nothing for 2 or 3 turns after that. If they are having shipping problems back home, then India is an outlet to keep pressure up without losing the ability to attack.

• The central powers can’t win OOB with any strategies I’ve played. However I ended my first 2 games pretty early.

• Turn 8 Review:

Well, Rome was just taken by a joint Ottoman-Austrian attack. Now the hordes of Central Powers troops will thrust the wheel of industry upon Paris. Oh, how it must feel to be crushed by a million angry Germanic men. Burgundy is even stacked with 21 French infantry, but still it is a losing battle. Both the Austrians and the Ottomans have 3 transports and are having no trouble getting men into Western Europe. The USA is still stuck at 20 IPCs and they couldn’t even take the 1 TT assigned for them (Belgium). They will try to send another wave of fresh recruits, but they will just be cannon fodder for the German guns. Now it is a race to Paris. Who will win, the Ottomans, Germans, or Austrians? With the world watching, the fate of democracy is in the fate of a few brave Parisian men.  This has been a very fun game and I am glad the CPS have finally pulled out a victory. Stay tuned for the exciting final 2 rounds.

• Turns 9-11 Review:

Well just finished the game and it was an overwelming Central Powers victory. In the end, the CP’s controlled all but UK, Canada, USA, and a few Russian TT’s that were locked after Revolution (Denmark, Holand, Spain, Norway, Sweden were also not taken). This was a very fun game, and I think the Munich factory might be a little much. It seems to overpower France. I had the game won at turn 8. However, I wasn’t able to capture Paris until turn 11 (due to trying to get all my troops transported up. The Ottomans kicked ass because I failed to build enough units in India. I sent around 30 USA troops in all to Picady and Belgium and they did absolutly nothing. I think they would have been better served in Albania or somewhere in the east to drain IPCs from Austria or Ottomans. The CP’s ended with 159 IPCS and control of the Med sea. I’m not sure if it was the fact that I didn’t use USA to its full advantage or if I let India fall that lost it for the Allies.

Has anyone played a game with the Munich factory? Do you think it adds too much power to Germany. I feel it does. The only thing the allies have going for them is the slow supply lines of the CP’s. In this game, I had a pretty quick time getting units to France.

Total rounds:11      Total game time: 16.5 hours over the course of 5 days (solo test play). very long game if you play it out to the victory conditions. I could have ended at round 8 and just played 12 hours. That is still a long game not to have finished. Well it was fun.

Would you guys like me to post pics from roundds 2-11?

• hell yeah…whatever you got.  love it.  great round by round gameplay.  would love for some guys to have a website and post pictures and detail every round - units purchased (with pics of map), individual battle results, etc. etc.  great job…very enjoyable ready.

• @Siris101:

The central powers can’t win OOB with any strategies I’ve played. However I ended my first 2 games pretty early.

They can win OOB, I have played two games thus far, each side winning once.

• Customizer

In addition to the Munich factory I’ve added Petrograd & Tsaritsyn as Russian PCs, so the Allies too have more placement options.

It means that every tt in Russia apart from Poland is within 1 space of a PC, same advantage that Munich gives to Germany.

• I didn’t say they couldn’t win. I just said they haven’t won in my OOB games. I’ve only had 3 so not much to lean on.

• The biggest mistake I have seen is Germany contesting too many territories in the west.  You simply can’t produce enough infantry to sustain that.  I have found hitting hard through Belgium is effective while leaving Lorraine and definitely Switzerland alone.

• @Texas:

The biggest mistake I have seen is Germany contesting too many territories in the west.  You simply can’t produce enough infantry to sustain that.  I have found hitting hard through Belgium is effective while leaving Lorraine and definitely Switzerland alone.

I don’t know about that- hitting Switzerland gives you a lot of flexibility to hit Italy or Southern France.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m